Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-03-21, 16:46

RE -> VST wrapper

My first thought was that it might be possible to create a Rack Extension that's a VST wrapper, as is done for other formats.

However, since Propellerheads probably have the final say on what gets into the store (think Apple), this might not happen since it would not be possible to force all the requirements onto the VST plug-ins, for instance "undo".

VST plug-ins can implement their own undo, but it doesn't come by way of the host. I'm sure there are other differences, however it might be possible to relax those requirements and allow an RE/VST wrapper to exist. You could convert CV to MIDI automation, it would seem, fairly straight forward.
Old 2012-03-21, 17:11

Ernst mentioned that the only thing the props will do is a quality check (technical stuff). But otherwise everything can be released. I got this from a musotalk.de interview.
Old 2012-03-21, 18:38

A quality check like "does it conform to the entire RE spec", for instance sending undo messages from host to plug-in...

There's no way to do that through the VST spec from what I understand. That's why VSTs, if they do have undo, are implemented in the VST UI, and undo from the host would have no effect on any VST settings. In other words, nothing to wrap here to implement this.

Does that mean the quality check fails?

Think about the obvious though, instead of re-buying everything you already purchased, so to speak, or equivalents more likely, you buy one RE plug-in and get all your existing VSTs in Reason.

Last edited by fizbin; 2012-03-21 at 19:00.
Old 2012-03-21, 19:01

It's been explained that the extension only talks to Reason. It can't communicate directly/independently to external soft- or hardware. I also think that if they spent years thinking about and developing an alternative because they think VST doesn't cut it, it's more than unlikely that the first thing they'd do is allow it to wrap the very same plugin format they rejected, which would get VST developers 'off the hook' and they'd have one less incentive to create Re versions of those plugins.
Old 2012-03-21, 19:22

I think it's unlikely too, but I also think that the number of developers wanting to support yet another format (actually three more, mac and 32 and 64 bit for PC) when they are already supporting arguably too many, will be limited.
Old 2012-03-21, 19:32

It will never happen, ever. They are never going to sell a product that easily and efficiently undermines the entire ReRack model.
Old 2012-03-21, 19:54

RTAS, VST, AU, and now RE Etc... Props may not have wanted to open Reason to 3rd party devs for VSTs but there must have been enough people who wanted 3rd party plugins to warrant any approach. At least now those who want it have some kind of option. I just think there has to be something that allows those who already own a VST/AU version of a plugin the option to not have to pay again for an RE version!
Old 2012-10-10, 15:01
TheodoreM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
I think it's unlikely too, but I also think that the number of developers wanting to support yet another format (actually three more, mac and 32 and 64 bit for PC) when they are already supporting arguably too many, will be limited.
That's incorrect, RE's are platform compatible and automatically 32/64 bit.

they only need to make ONE version.

that is a HUGE advantage of RE's, if i am being truthful.
Old 2012-10-10, 14:59
TheodoreM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
A quality check like "does it conform to the entire RE spec", for instance sending undo messages from host to plug-in...

There's no way to do that through the VST spec from what I understand. That's why VSTs, if they do have undo, are implemented in the VST UI, and undo from the host would have no effect on any VST settings. In other words, nothing to wrap here to implement this.
well that's incorrect, as as long as the plugin transmits it's parameters as automatable to a vst/au host, the host can implement undo if it chooses.

Ableton undoes everything precisely the way reason does.. it's worked for all 3rd party plugins i have tried so far and completely transparent. fader changes in ableton mixer, knob movements, and any changes on the plugin themselves, all undoes perfectly.