Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-04-24, 16:37

Exclamation Reason 6.5 Better DSP usage.

This is something i'm looking forward to. Reason 6 was not nearly as good as reason 4, 5, and record. This has to be a must if they are planning to incorporate RE into reason 6.5. If they dont fix this, then to me RE is useless. Im running an Imac 3.06 processor with 4gb ram and experience glitches and the message computer to slow when there was only 5 or 6 tracks in the session.
Old 2012-04-24, 16:57

did you try increasing the usage cap to 95%? or just turn it off completely?
Old 2012-04-24, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
did you try increasing the usage cap to 95%? or just turn it off completely?
Yes, but it seems to do nothing for me.
Old 2012-04-24, 17:22

the message you get I got it all the time but for me it is a good thing meaning that if my machine is very powerfull I could do things like pushing the sounds up like a hardware , on the over hand I work such a way that I cant do beats on I-pad !
insted of turning you fx off try to use the blocks I think it save some cpu and memory.
Old 2012-04-24, 23:07

For sure!! Now reason is a cpu-killer software... too bad!!!!
(i'm on macbook pro 2011 i7 2ghz, 8go ram)
Old 2012-04-24, 23:29

you could turn the sample rate down and the buffer size up

and optimize things, make some connections mono where it doesn't affect the sound
Old 2012-04-25, 00:23

I agree. I'm afraid that R6 has stifled my creative workflow as I just don't have all day to watch the "spinning beach ball" think about the simplest tasks like renaming a device or closing a combinator, or my favorite; opening the tool window. And that's just the beginning. Forget about trying to browse through any meaty combinators in less than 1/2 a day! PLEASE FIX THIS, PROPS!!!
Old 2012-04-25, 13:25

What on earth are you guys talking about?
Reason 6 performs much better than Reason 4 ever did (and equal to R1.5/R5).

I'm on an i7 PC and can load and play pretty much infinite tracks with complex routings without a hickup, even at just 80% CPU. The browser issue from R4 is resolved since R5 (see OT below) and it's 64 bit. How is R4 and lower possibly better?

Like rogerlevy says, try sample rate/buffers or get a proper audio interface/driver if you're using a generic one (equal to Asio4All on pc, crap driver).
Make sure you've updated to 6.02.
Or it could be a Mac specific issue/memory leak, seeing as I don't see PC mentioned with those of you having these issues.
In any case, there's nothing for the Props to fix here, unless it's a bug.

OT:

My main gripe with Reason 4 performance-wise was the horribly slow browser.
If a folder contained over 20 files, the time it took to actually scan the folder and see the contents appear took very long. The more samples in a folder, the longer it took.

Imagine the aggrivation I felt when I accidently clicked a 200+ sample folder on my drive. Or loaded a sample from a huge folder into the Redrum and then clicked the Map button (opening the browser, rescanning for minutes on end) ny accident.

The only solution I could think of was to open up Windows Explorer and manually make a shitload of subfolders and place max 20-25 samples in each. I recall alot of people having this problem.
Resolved since R5 and 64 bit gives a major performance increase aswell. That, and a quality audio interface.

Last edited by rlubeck; 2012-04-25 at 13:31.
Old 2012-04-25, 17:34

Tip: if you're using an antivirus program like Avast, exclude your Reason and refills/ patch folders from scanning. It speeds up the browser. I was euphoric at first, but it's still fucking slow and I'm back to being as annoyed as ever.

I fear for the RE update if they don't fix the browser. Because what will all the new RE patches do to the speed? Can't imagine it going any quicker.

Putting patches in subfolders is a solution, but even subfolders like 'pad combinators' would require additional subfolders as these grow steadily towards 200+ patches. It sucks. Waiting for the browser is still my biggest workflow killer
Old 2012-04-28, 16:49

yhea it take a lot of time to open my sounds too ...
is there a way too have the register in memory after a scan?