Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-05-20, 03:19

Drum Machine Improvements (Kong and Redrum)

Even though the Redrum seems to have been forgotten I think that the Flam should have settings based on some sort of scale related to time. It's only adjustable by ear and when using different tempos it's hard to get it perfect.

Also please add poly settings for Redrum channels. The Redrum is a great device and with a single voice setting it would be next to perfect.

Kong should also have 16 STEREO outputs. Not 16 ouputs. So if you have 16 stereo samples loaded you can assign each to their own mixer channel.

Honestly I don't get the hype with Kong. Oooo. It has "pads". PH are innovative. I don't know why they released something that is trendy especially in the worst way. It's trendy because newbies think that you need pads or a MPC for drums. And even if you do get a 16 pad controller the GUI doesn't really need to look like that. It may be easy to relate your hardware controller to the GUI but I'm happy using a keyboard and it just doesn't fit.

This is why I need a "Drum Mode" for the NN-XT. Where if you browse samples it doen't reset the root note to C3 if there is no current root note info embedded. Or even if there is, the Root note should stay the same as when you started browsing so your samples play at the correct pitch.

I think I'm going to start posting Youtube videos of my findings. Because sometimes it's hard to explain.
Old 2012-05-20, 12:03

I agree with the "16 stereo outputs" part.
But at the same time, I can't see this as a big problem? You want stereo so you get your panning, but if you are routing all pads to own outputs, you will be using a mixer that has panning.
You'll loose stereo signal from inserts though.
Old 2012-05-20, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epithet View Post
Even though the Redrum seems to have been forgotten I think that the Flam should have settings based on some sort of scale related to time. It's only adjustable by ear and when using different tempos it's hard to get it perfect.

Also please add poly settings for Redrum channels. The Redrum is a great device and with a single voice setting it would be next to perfect.

Kong should also have 16 STEREO outputs. Not 16 ouputs. So if you have 16 stereo samples loaded you can assign each to their own mixer channel.

Honestly I don't get the hype with Kong. Oooo. It has "pads". PH are innovative. I don't know why they released something that is trendy especially in the worst way. It's trendy because newbies think that you need pads or a MPC for drums. And even if you do get a 16 pad controller the GUI doesn't really need to look like that. It may be easy to relate your hardware controller to the GUI but I'm happy using a keyboard and it just doesn't fit.

This is why I need a "Drum Mode" for the NN-XT. Where if you browse samples it doen't reset the root note to C3 if there is no current root note info embedded. Or even if there is, the Root note should stay the same as when you started browsing so your samples play at the correct pitch.

I think I'm going to start posting Youtube videos of my findings. Because sometimes it's hard to explain.
I agree on both issues. A musical time flam mode would be great for Redrum. Hopefully with REs someone could make a "Remixed" version of the Redrum and add a some things Props didn't implement on the Redrum.

Definitely Agree with Kong. If the Redrum has individual outputs for every channel, shouldn't Kong need this as well?
Old 2012-05-22, 01:55

agree,,, i think its too bad that kong doesn't have individual outs,, anyways i love kong,, but still hope for an update
Old 2012-05-22, 03:02

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamas78 View Post
agree,,, i think its too bad that kong doesn't have individual outs,, anyways i love kong,, but still hope for an update
Yup cant wait for kong to have individual audio outs. @@ Do you guys even flip your rack around? If you need stereo, link Pad 1 and 2, put the left sample on one and the right on the other route the outputs to a mixer and you are good to go. Need more than 8 pads? Create another Kong. None of this is difficult. @OP Redrum IS a poly device.

Last edited by dreampolice; 2012-05-22 at 03:06.
Old 2012-05-22, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampolice View Post
Yup cant wait for kong to have individual audio outs. @@ Do you guys even flip your rack around? If you need stereo, link Pad 1 and 2, put the left sample on one and the right on the other route the outputs to a mixer and you are good to go. Need more than 8 pads? Create another Kong. None of this is difficult. @OP Redrum IS a poly device.

im really starting to think that people do not take advantage of flipping the rack around which is reason's true power.
Old 2012-05-22, 04:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampolice View Post

Sorry but this made you look stupid. If you want 8 stereo samples you just load 8 stereo samples and set the output to the 8 stereo outputs i.e. (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16). You just load a second device for 16 samples. That's common sense. I want 16 stereo samples. The whole point of that part of the post.

I'm starting to do professional sound design and I have been doing it for myself for close to 10 years. Yeah I know how to use the back of the rack.
Old 2012-05-22, 04:45

You really think the pads on Kong are just for a trendy show?

Im not at my rig right now..
but how many quick edit functions are tied into those pads?!
Do they still seem just for show?

And dreampolice doesn't look stupid.
People complaining about routing Kong to a mixer look stupid.
Because its dead easy.... AND Kong is a MIXER already!! Lolol

((( herp de derp dee doo don't mind me)))

Last edited by dub08; 2012-05-22 at 04:52.
Old 2012-05-22, 05:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epithet View Post
Sorry but this made you look stupid. If you want 8 stereo samples you just load 8 stereo samples and set the output to the 8 stereo outputs i.e. (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16). You just load a second device for 16 samples. That's common sense. I want 16 stereo samples. The whole point of that part of the post.

I'm starting to do professional sound design and I have been doing it for myself for close to 10 years. Yeah I know how to use the back of the rack.
That is kinda my point. If you need 16 out's fire up another Kong and tie it together. If you want to use the pads from one to control the other or pre mix them for example you can do it my way. But yes you are of course correct.

I just don't see why creating a second Kong in say a combinator is that big of a deal?

PS the back of the rack comment was directed at Tamas78 not you.