Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-06-18, 01:17

Meter modes for ALL channels

I find it a bit odd that although you can freely select different meter modes for the master channel, you are stuck with VU mode for individual channels.

Its ok for seeing the general level of things but it's really, really handy to see peak levels and we need this to be implemented. Especially when mixing drums and sharp stabby sounds, its a pain in the arse to solo and reference peak levels on the master channel.

Please!! Give us different meter modes for individual channels!!!
Old 2012-06-18, 01:27

Most definitely! It`s really a pain at the current state...
Old 2012-06-18, 22:38

Wink Pre fader Metering

They need pre fader Metering options for mixing and tracking it make it easy to see what cliping
Old 2012-06-18, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketmoney View Post
They need pre fader Metering options for mixing and tracking it make it easy to see what cliping
Since you can't clip inside of Reason, this wouldn't help. The only place you can clip is the hardware outputs (and hardware inputs, of course!).

But I still agree with having Peak meters on channels, and if they were Pre Fader/mute you can see activity on muted channels (like a real SSL, mind you!), which I find VERY useful. :-)
USA
Old 2012-06-19, 00:37

You can't clip inside Reason? That is good to know because it is what I've always worried about! Would still be handy to see peak levels though without having to reference the master channel
Old 2012-06-19, 01:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmcc84 View Post
You can't clip inside Reason? That is good to know because it is what I've always worried about! Would still be handy to see peak levels though without having to reference the master channel
Yes, I agree.

BTW, you can't clip INSIDE of reason because it's 32 bit floating point, which gives a theoretical headroom of 1500 dB! But wait, there's more - since Reason's mix bus is 64 bit, you actually have a whopping 3000 dB of headroom in the mixer. So there's really no chance of clipping with that much room to spare…

Now the outputs, having less headroom, ARE easy to clip! :-)
USA
Old 2012-06-19, 11:09

Ah cool thanks for that info selig really handy to know that! I never knew there was actually so much headroom inside reasons mixer! This may be a silly question but does that only apply to the mixer channels? If you were to be red lining on malstroms output that would surely distort right?
Old 2012-11-11, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
But I still agree with having Peak meters on channels, and if they were Pre Fader/mute you can see activity on muted channels (like a real SSL, mind you!), which I find VERY useful. :-)
I would love this, always wondered why you couldn't change the channels meter to peak. I prefer working with peak, probably because i've never fully explored or learnt the VU meter. I always finding my self soloing a channel to see what it's peak is, I really want this feature
Old 2013-02-13, 18:15

Every time the channel meters get on my tits I'm gonna bump this. I'm totally flabbergasted as to why the Props didn't just do this when they made the new mixer??!!? For me, level setting is quicker and easier when meters show peak. It's how I learned to mix my levels, it's how I prefer to mix my levels, it's super quick to see your levels!!!

Changing the meter mode should affect ALL CHANNELS on the SSL mixer, NOT just the master. It's the only thing that is deterring me from using Reason right now and I know that may sound silly but I'm positive many others feel the same (some have already posted in this thread!).

C'mon Props get this sorted please!!! At least spill the beans if this is going to be sorted in the next update?.... You can do that... It's hardly a super-duper feature that you'd need to keep quiet

Last edited by benmcc84; 2013-02-13 at 18:18.
Old 2012-11-11, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmcc84 View Post

Please!! Give us different meter modes for individual channels!!!
this ^^

{OT} and also why cant we reply to a post with one word ?

Quote:
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters

im only posting to add weight to the OG post if thats whats needed to get changes made...

dare i say it, maybe a 'like' button for those of us that dont want to come out of lurking but want to contribute to possible changes that are required or needed for better user experience of product. we're just as important as users who choose to post a lot on here...

apologies if this has been discussed before...