Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-06-23, 20:45

Customisable menus

Using 6.5 for the first time today it occured to me that the device menu system could be a lot better if you could customise it. Some of the older FX devices for example just DO NOT get used & have not done for a while for me. Increasingly this may be the case as more & more RE's appear. So I think it would be great if there was a tab in the Properties pane for adding the devices to the menu that you use & also defining the menu for your own requirements. We can now define our Reason devices! What about the device menu as well?
Old 2012-06-24, 17:15

I like this idea
Old 2012-06-25, 01:27

Thumbs up Hide devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy1973 View Post
Using 6.5 for the first time today it occured to me that the device menu system could be a lot better if you could customise it. Some of the older FX devices for example just DO NOT get used & have not done for a while for me. Increasingly this may be the case as more & more RE's appear. So I think it would be great if there was a tab in the Properties pane for adding the devices to the menu that you use & also defining the menu for your own requirements. We can now define our Reason devices! What about the device menu as well?
Yep tick box options to hide certain things from menus, you read my mind.
Old 2012-06-25, 01:40
Banned

Would be cool to have the ability to just delete some of unneeded devices such as ReBirth Input Machine!
Old 2012-06-25, 04:50

A big YES. I have long argued for this in another program with a deep feature set, Band-In-A-Box (aka BIAB), that is used in so many different ways by different users that there are many, many menu times that a given muso will never use. Let me choose what items to gray out or send to the bottom or remove from the menu completely. Let me bring those that I use most commonly to the top of the menu.

BIAB has an extensive set of tool buttons which can be added to or removed from in just this way, so why not the text menu? I prefer to use the keyboard for this, anyway. Customisable menus would add utility to Reason and be especially valuable in a production environment simply by giving the user less to sift through during repetitive operations.
Old 2012-06-25, 12:19

Has anyone ever made the Foldback Distortion sound good on anything? Occasionally I bring it out because I feel sorry for it. But every time it sounds terrible and I delete it and replace it with a Scream4.

So yes, there might be some merit in this idea. I'm unclear whether it's a really workflow enhancement though, so sorry dB, you got a +1 here, but it ain't going on the List unless I get a particularly impressive convincer!
Old 2012-06-25, 16:07

plusUNO

When REs become many, navigating the tool window will become a pain. Not to mention, it's hard to remember what category some of the effects fall under. Even if not customizable, I'd like to see categories broken down more, i.e. "distortion" "reverb" "dynamics" etc.

Anything that offers something more in the tool window is much needed.
Old 2012-06-25, 22:02

Multifband distortion is the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
Has anyone ever made the Foldback Distortion sound good on anything? Occasionally I bring it out because I feel sorry for it. But every time it sounds terrible and I delete it and replace it with a Scream4.

So yes, there might be some merit in this idea. I'm unclear whether it's a really workflow enhancement though, so sorry dB, you got a +1 here, but it ain't going on the List unless I get a particularly impressive convincer!
You can get some really gritty synth tones without the bad side effects i.e. destroying the bass, when used in a 4 band setup, applying distortion to the highest 2 bands, trust me it works!! make yourself a combinator using the 4 band compressor preset, with D11's before the compressors bands 3&4, with a switch to isolate it to 1 or both bands as you like it ) You can make combinators similar to Ohmicide this way using reasons various distortion units. I could upload my combi if you let me know how to do it, I'm not fully up to speed on how this is done on this forum.
Old 2012-06-25, 23:40

Quote:
lol i think i have made like 1,000 tracks with reason and not even 1 of them has that device in it hahahaha
Old 2013-02-04, 19:04

Quote:
Yes. I use them in my envelope filter combi.