Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-07-07, 04:37

Balance / USB 3

So let me get this straight - Balance will not work with my USB 3 ports? The lights come on the unit, steady not blinking, but I'm hearing nothing out of any of my 4 USB 3 ports. I don't have USB 2 ports on this laptop.

This is crazy upsetting news if true.

Is there nothing I can do?
Old 2012-07-07, 06:48
Xaviero

Ah man, how unfortunate! No it seems that the Balance won't work with USB 3.0 only 2.0..

Hopefully you have a receipt handy for a refund.
Old 2012-07-07, 09:41

There are adapters out there to go from 2.0 to 3.0. Will that not work?
Old 2012-07-07, 10:58

Pretty depressing. I wonder if Reason, like Presonus, will offer a workaround. Would be curious to know if a 3.0 to 2.0 adapter would work, too.
Old 2012-07-10, 21:51

what? is this true? do they plan to fix it? So thats why I dont get any sound out of it on my MacBookPro Retina, that fucking sux. Any more info some place?
Old 2012-07-10, 23:58
Propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEGIO View Post
So let me get this straight - Balance will not work with my USB 3 ports? The lights come on the unit, steady not blinking, but I'm hearing nothing out of any of my 4 USB 3 ports. I don't have USB 2 ports on this laptop.

This is crazy upsetting news if true.

Is there nothing I can do?
Sorry to say, Balance is not compatible with some PC USB3 chips. We have reports of it working with the new MacBook Pros with USB3 though so it's just the specific chip that's been used in most PCs so far I assume.

I'm no expert on this but we're aware of the issue and hopefully it can be fixed in the future.
Old 2012-07-11, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasHG View Post
Sorry to say, Balance is not compatible with some PC USB3 chips. We have reports of it working with the new MacBook Pros with USB3 though so it's just the specific chip that's been used in most PCs so far I assume.

I'm no expert on this but we're aware of the issue and hopefully it can be fixed in the future.
teloch has performed a test in this thread https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...=160558&page=2

As Balance appears to work under MacOS X but won't work under Windows 7 on the same Macbook Pro the issue must be a software issue either with the USB 3 stack or the Balance driver when running under Windows

Last edited by n0ahg; 2012-07-11 at 00:06.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:41

Is it possible I'm setting it up wrong? The lights go on as they should, the meter pops up on my screen, but I don't hear anything. I called support but was on hold forever. One of the recordings said sounds won't travel through USB?

I have USB from PC to Balance, and line outs on the Balance going to my speakers. That's the way to set it up, right?
Old 2012-07-12, 03:55

Can someone confirm I'm setting my stuff up right? I hate to return Balance if I'm doing something wrong.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:08
Propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEGIO View Post
Is it possible I'm setting it up wrong? The lights go on as they should, the meter pops up on my screen, but I don't hear anything. I called support but was on hold forever. One of the recordings said sounds won't travel through USB?

I have USB from PC to Balance, and line outs on the Balance going to my speakers. That's the way to set it up, right?
We don't offer phone support but our US distributor does. If you tried to call our office, that's why you were put on hold.

The set up is indeed correct. Have you e-mailed support? They'll get back to you and can confirm where the problem is but I'm suspecting it's a USB3 incompatibility thing. Support can also give you advice on any workarounds that I might not be aware of.