Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-07-13, 08:37

Cool Is the "Reason sound" gone?

Let's suppose something like that ever existed. And some talented engineers could recognize the characteristic and subjectively inferior sound of some of the older (and most CPU friendly ever) Reason devices in a song, is the Reason sound definitely gone with the advent of Rack Extensions?

Let's assume Propellerhead engineers always were so obsessed with stability and CPU efficiency that they cut corners on sound quality on all of their devices, would a song made 100% with third party Rack Extensions be indistinguishable from the same song created with the same devices on another DAW?

Just curious if that "Reason sound" argument people keep throwing around is finally moot.
Old 2012-07-13, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoddAH View Post
Just curious if that "Reason sound" argument people keep throwing around is finally moot.
It was always moot.

It was always a spectacularly dumb argument.

But if someone has it in their head that there was some kind of identifiable "sound" to the Reason devices, and that such a sound was in some way bad, then obviously the fact that parties other than Propellerhead are now contributing their own DSP code to various Rack Extensions should by sheer logic mean that there is no more guarantee of a "Reason sound" to be had. You can have a partially Korg and Softube sound if you like. Or now, a Mellotron sound with Sugar Bytes. Or whatever.

People who are dead set on dissing Reason will find something else to gripe about, make no mistake.

Old 2012-07-13, 09:15

In my opinion the old devices still sound terrible. Compare nnxt with ableton sampler, or subtractor with the new polysix, you will notice a huge difference.

I still prefer the audio been produced with ableton live! More dynamic and definition using few internal audio effects!
Old 2012-07-13, 09:45

Generally, the sound of a DAW is down to the skills of the person using it. However, if you have samples that are 24bit, 96khz and pre-produced then they are going to sound better then a bog standard sound coming out an unaffected softsynth
Old 2012-07-13, 10:05

To summarize (and as has been said above) it comes down to the skill of the operator and the quality of the samples.

Keyboard magazine published an interview with the product manager for Prophet synthesizers. People talked then about how the sounds of certain synths were so readily identifiable. The PM commented that he was astonished at how many synths came back for service with the unmodified factory patches. It was a fully variable synth and anybody could have created their own. Most people, though, seem to wait for individuals like Brian Eno, Suzanne Ciani, and other sound designers to do it for them.

If your synth sounds like it did when it came from the factory, who's to blame? Anybody can complain. Usually it's the lazy and unimaginative who do. The creators are too busy getting things done. In which class do you place yourself?
Old 2012-07-13, 10:03

I have never had a problem with the sound of the Reason synths. You did, however, convince me to try out the Korg PolySix Rack Extention...
Old 2012-07-13, 20:44

The sound that you make comes from your mind and your ability to accomplish. with reason always I was able to create, and now with the RE is simplified. There is no sound framed in a software that is a big lie.
Old 2012-07-13, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by arqdelfino View Post
The sound that you make comes from your mind and your ability to accomplish. with reason always I was able to create, and now with the RE is simplified. There is no sound framed in a software that is a big lie.
Its not a lie when we are talking about instrument design. If you cant hear an objective difference between say Ace or Aria and and Thor, thats perfectly fine. That in no way whatsoever means that someone who does is lying.

Lets take this out of Reason for a second and take the example of a good guitarist. He has the chops - lets ssume that. In his mind he hears, I dont know, Pat Metheny's Gibson ES/Amp/fX sound or Stevie Ray Vaughns very distinct strat and Marshal stack sound.
But he has a some $175 Ibanez and a Fender Champ. He. Wont. Get. Those. Sounds.
That doesnt mean he cant play the hell out of what he has. But these are two different issues. If he were able to get his hands on the appropriate gear, different story.

Last edited by kingdubrock; 2012-07-13 at 20:58.
Old 2012-07-13, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizio View Post
In my opinion the old devices still sound terrible. Compare nnxt with ableton sampler, or subtractor with the new polysix, you will notice a huge difference.

I still prefer the audio been produced with ableton live! More dynamic and definition using few internal audio effects!
IMO, Ableton Sampler sounded terrible. It did a horrible job converting soundfonts or akai, kontakt programs, pretty much whatever I threw at it. Sampler is great for what its true purpose is "Live Realtime Sample mangling", but IMO it is a horrible "Sample library playback device".

NNXT (although not perfect) does a much better job converting soundfonts, and a great job converting Akai programs.

Reason's samplers are GIGO devices. If you hear anything bad it is most likely the samples themselves.

I agree though with the Subtractor, while it is not a totally bad sounding device, it usually can't keep up with most other VSTs. I think the main reason is because it is pretty outdated although it does surprise you once in a while in what it can do.
Old 2012-07-13, 15:10

Let's hope not.