Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-07-16, 04:11

any news on rob papens predator?

ANY?!! the wait is killing me!!
Reason 6_Traktor Scratch Duo2 _Windows 7_Behringer BCR-2000_Akai MPD18_M-Audio Oxygen 49_ Krk Rockit 5's_32" HD Panasonic Viera Monitor_Akai LPD8_Blue Yeti Cardiod Microphone_Traktor Audio 6 interface_ipad2
Old 2012-07-16, 04:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcatter View Post
ANY?!! the wait is killing me!!
From KVR 2 days ago:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...48058&start=60

Quote:
Hi,

Jon did an amazing job in building the Predator RE. We had to battle a few problems because this RE system is different from VST/AU/RTAS.

We have to dive into a few more things, like the firm amount of presets we have.
I believe it is over 3000 or so...

But all going well

Rob
----
www.robpapen.com

"Inspiration SoundWare"
Old 2012-07-16, 04:16

ahhh! thankss ..it needs to come sooner!
Reason 6_Traktor Scratch Duo2 _Windows 7_Behringer BCR-2000_Akai MPD18_M-Audio Oxygen 49_ Krk Rockit 5's_32" HD Panasonic Viera Monitor_Akai LPD8_Blue Yeti Cardiod Microphone_Traktor Audio 6 interface_ipad2
Old 2012-07-16, 04:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcatter View Post
any new on rob papens predator?
When it releases, it's going to sell like wild fire. And if it's on a promo price, it's going to reach #1 on the most popular list in about 2 days... that's my prediction. (well, I reserve the right to be wrong if the price is really high)

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-07-16, 04:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post
When it releases, it's going to sell like wild fire. And if it's on a promo price, it's going to reach #1 on the most popular list in about 2 days... that's my prediction. (well, I reserve the right to be wrong if the price is really high)
I'm curious - as I don't have the VST.. but I listened to the Predator sound examples on Rob's page and wasn't all that impressed. I mean, it sounds OK and all, but... I don't know - I can't put my finger on it.

Hopefully I'll be more impressed when it's sitting in my Reason rack as a demo and I give it a spin.

*shrugs*
Old 2012-07-16, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
I'm curious - as I don't have the VST.. but I listened to the Predator sound examples on Rob's page and wasn't all that impressed. I mean, it sounds OK and all, but... I don't know - I can't put my finger on it.

Hopefully I'll be more impressed when it's sitting in my Reason rack as a demo and I give it a spin.

*shrugs*
I agree.. I didn't hear anything special in the demos for the plugin version.

I guess it's either the fault of the demos or I'm the wrong person for that synth (I tend to like aggressive/weird/biting sounds) but overall I didn't hear much personality. I do appreciate the generous 30-day trial period for REs (a system that makes me MUCH more likely to make a purchase) so I'm still looking forward to it.
Old 2012-07-16, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsandrules View Post
I agree.. I didn't hear anything special in the demos for the plugin version.

I guess it's either the fault of the demos or I'm the wrong person for that synth (I tend to like aggressive/weird/biting sounds) but overall I didn't hear much personality. I do appreciate the generous 30-day trial period for REs (a system that makes me MUCH more likely to make a purchase) so I'm still looking forward to it.
It isn't the newest VST out there nowadays but I think it was mindblowing when it did come out (I don't have it but this is what I heard).

I will say, based on what people have told me, is that what makes Predator so useful is that it is easy to make sounds that sit well in the mix without blowing it all away. How many times have I made an awesome sound in Massive only to lose all the nuance when I have to EQ it to hell to blend it into my track?

My thinking is it is a bit like the Waldorf Microwave was back in hardware days. Maybe not the most impressive thing you heard by itself, but it cut through a mix like nothing else.

At any rate, I 100% agree this is a perfect use for the 30-day trial period. Be careful though, I trialed Polysix without really expecting to buy it (Thor and Subtractor are great already) but I have fallen for the beast and I must have it. :-)

Looking forward to trying Predator out and spending 5 hours going through presets and getting inspired! :-)

The VST is $179. I hope the RE is at least a bit less. (I'm not whining and saying $179 is too much, I'm just saying it is more than I have to spend right now)

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-07-16, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post

*shrugs*
I have to say that I tried the demo and there's a certain character to the oscillators (and the whole synth) that I personally have a hard time enjoying. It almost sounds like they are all made up with single cycle samples because even when set to 32 X oversampling it still sounded "muddy" somehow. I really want to like this synth a lot because it will be the first complex instrument as RE and because the features/specs looks awesome on paper but alas, so far it has just not clicked with me.
Old 2012-07-16, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
I have to say that I tried the demo and there's a certain character to the oscillators (and the whole synth) that I personally have a hard time enjoying. It almost sounds like they are all made up with single cycle samples because even when set to 32 X oversampling it still sounded "muddy" somehow. I really want to like this synth a lot because it will be the first complex instrument as RE and because the features/specs looks awesome on paper but alas, so far it has just not clicked with me.
That's a great assessment, eXode - thanks. I feel the same - the specs look amazing on paper and people seem to really like it, but I'm just not hearing what all the hubbub is about.

The examples that avaris pointed to did seem a bit more impressive to my ears, though. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 2012-07-16, 18:41

I tried the demo. Actually I have tried 3 demos of RP synths. Sub Boom, the drum synth (i cant remember what its called) and Predator. For some reason the 64 bit AU's of these plugs didnt work in Studio One. The VSTs do though. Not sure why that is.

I didnt care for the drum synth but a lot of people swear by it. I can see why, just not for me. I dont need any help getting subs but I was curious what a synth dedicated to that function would do. I can see it helping budding producers.

Which is kinda the vibe I get from his aesthetic in general - its sort of like getting RP in a box. Everything sounds pre-produced to sit in a mix in a polite kind of way. In the Predator demo there is no initialize patch. I couldnt care less about the trancey "Euro" sounding presets. So it was a bit frustrating trying to drill down and get a sense of its raw character. I read on KVR that the "morphing spot" preset is 3 sines and nO processing so thats what people sould use as an initialize patch if they want to try making sounds from scratch.

I didnt sense the muddiness Exode speaks of but It did kind of sound like it was running through a compressor or limiter.. It reminded me a bit of massive and Absynth in that there are a LOT of waveforms I would never use and the 'understated' low end reminded me of Absynth in particular. The first basic waveforms sound quite dencent with more bottom than the others though.

One strange thing I encountered and I certainly hope its just a case where I dont kniw enough about how it works, but even with a 24 db LPF turn all the way down, you could still hear quite a bit of the signal - as if there were a dry/wet or amount setting somewhere that I couldnt find.

In the end though, its a very versatile synth that I get the feeling will reveal its charms with increased familiarity. Given that U-he is going to be releasing Ubhik first, this may be the only full blown, flexible synth RE we see for a while. We could do much worse I think.

Last edited by kingdubrock; 2012-07-16 at 18:50.