Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-07-19, 14:15

Authoriser - Disable Trial Licenses

This has probably been touched upon before in other threads, but just to be explicit about it.

In the authoriser, we should be able to disable/enable trial licenses, so we avoid the pestering screens when opening up Reason if we have the Ignition key connected.

One of Reason's main advantages is the ease of opening up and getting started, and pester screens just become annoying.

If you don't want to be bothered by the screens for some sessions or periods of time, you should be able to disable trial licenses in the authoriser, (at the expense of being able to use them of course). But then when you want to get back to trialling RE's you should be able to enable the licenses in the authoriser again, without having to re-download. Probably a good idea to also include an option to delete all trial RE's too.

The really annoying thing about this is that even if you delete all of your trial RE's, you still get pestered. I believe I found in another thread there's some kind of trick to deal with this which involves deleting a file in the RE folder, but we really shouldn't have to do that, and part of the RE ethos is avoiding dealing with those kind of stupid hacks. It is often pretty easy to cause yourself hassle in those situations by deleting something you shouldn't.
Old 2012-07-19, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattmowe View Post
This has probably been touched upon before in other threads, but just to be explicit about it.

In the authoriser, we should be able to disable/enable trial licenses, so we avoid the pestering screens when opening up Reason if we have the Ignition key connected.

One of Reason's main advantages is the ease of opening up and getting started, and pester screens just become annoying.

If you don't want to be bothered by the screens for some sessions or periods of time, you should be able to disable trial licenses in the authoriser, (at the expense of being able to use them of course). But then when you want to get back to trialling RE's you should be able to enable the licenses in the authoriser again, without having to re-download. Probably a good idea to also include an option to delete all trial RE's too.

The really annoying thing about this is that even if you delete all of your trial RE's, you still get pestered. I believe I found in another thread there's some kind of trick to deal with this which involves deleting a file in the RE folder, but we really shouldn't have to do that, and part of the RE ethos is avoiding dealing with those kind of stupid hacks. It is often pretty easy to cause yourself hassle in those situations by deleting something you shouldn't.
I've deleted my trial RE and don't get 'pestered' at startup. I'm not positive, but maybe this is happening because you are using a free RE (Pulsar or Saturation knob?) as a trial and not as the final version?
USA
Old 2012-07-19, 20:42

I concur with the OP's comments, having removed the two freebie rack extensions to avoid the login nag message, it still pops up with the request to login. I would also like to say that one of the big plusses of reason for me in the past has been able to play live without worrying about internet connectivity - surely that's what the Ignition key should be doing for me - especially if the licenses are "written" to the key to begin with!
Old 2012-07-19, 21:56

@ Binraider666

That's exactly what I did as well, and it didn't work for me either.
So I still have to click the "nag screen" at start-up...
Old 2012-07-19, 22:29

RE's were supposed to be less of a headache than VST's.

And they are.

Right?

Right?????
Old 2012-07-20, 11:54

I deleted all my trial RE's the other day because I was sick of the nag screen. Then I did the workaround suggested here;

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=162469

I know that's not what you're saying though, and I have to say that RE nag screen is an inelegant system, that should be improved ASAP. As Binraider says, that's what we have an ignition key for.
It's really an imposition in software that's usually known for its ease of use. There must be a better system.
Major turn-off.
Old 2012-07-20, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
RE's were supposed to be less of a headache than VST's.

And they are.

Right?

Right?????
Yes, they are much less of a headache than VST's. But these little annoying things are kind of simple, and you would think should be simple to put right.

A lot of work has been done in the rather impressively perfect integration of RE's, so might as well clear up these little silly loose ends if they are simple to fix?
Old 2012-07-20, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
I've deleted my trial RE and don't get 'pestered' at startup. I'm not positive, but maybe this is happening because you are using a free RE (Pulsar or Saturation knob?) as a trial and not as the final version?
I'll double check, but they are definitely purchased (or well they were free, but..) on my account, there is no 'times out on....' after the saturation knob and the pulsar, the only other possibility is that the licenses aren't properly installed on the key, however, I'm sill using them without signing in and they are definately over a month old now, so I'm pretty sure this isn't the problem.

A lot of people have complained about this on the forums and a workaround has been suggested, so I think there is possibly a problem.

But one way or another, it would still be easier if you could disable or enable them on demand, apart from anything, this would mean that you could distinguish your proper sessions from other more experimental sessions where you might be trying out RE's. You could avoid ending up relying on a trial rack extension in a full song which you then maybe don't want to purchase. Once you have a few RE's, it would be hard to necessarily remember offhand which are trials and which are purchased, and most people can't afford to go buying just about anything they use. (This is of course though, in the interest of Pheads and RE developers to get people relying on trial rack extensions so they are more likely to buy them)