Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-07-20, 16:48

Live Looping in Reason?

I am a performing artist currently using MainStage for live processing and mixing of guitar, vocal, and sax. I do a lot of live looping, and currently use the Mobius plugin for this. My looping is done with no tempo, metronome, or backing track. They are "free form" loops; the tempo of a given loop is set by when I start and close/play the loop. In other words, I do not sync my guitar playing to anything, I am free to follow my own tempo and dynamics.

I am disappointed in the stability of MainStage, and have heard Reason is very stable for live use, as it is a closed system. However, I must have the ability to do live looping. Can I accomplish what I want to do with Reason?
Old 2012-07-20, 17:03

Can you access this thread?

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=164248
Old 2012-07-20, 17:33

Yes, but everything shown demonstrates the manipulation and playing of pre-recorded loops and sounds. I do not do this "DJ" or "glitch" style. I play guitar and sing, but do some looping of stuff as I play it.

Is there guitar looping capability in Reason or Reason Rack?
Old 2012-07-20, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker View Post
Yes, but everything shown demonstrates the manipulation and playing of pre-recorded loops and sounds. I do not do this "DJ" or "glitch" style. I play guitar and sing, but do some looping of stuff as I play it.

Is there guitar looping capability in Reason or Reason Rack?
In short, no. Reason really is designed for linear song writing.

You'd be much better off with something built for live use. Ableton Live is an obvious choice, and comes with a nice looper. Ableton is also a full blown DAW, and also comes with its share of stability issues. Mainstage is perfect for what you're doing, on paper, but if it's crashing then you obviously can't bring it on stage.
Old 2012-07-20, 22:59

You need Ableton Live. Reason is great, but doesn't do everything.

I use both together using rewire.
Old 2012-07-21, 01:57

OK, thanks much for your help. I have setups using Ableton Live, and MainStage. But I'm always looking for something better. Live performance was one of things promoted as a Reason application, but it does appear to be for specific, linear stuff. Look impressive, though!
Old 2012-07-21, 20:20

Hello johnbaker,
The answer is simple yes.
'Live looping' is totally possible in Reason... All you need to make sure is that your audio signal comes in,and you know how to route cables..
Once you have your (mic/guitar signal) you can make an audio track in which to record,either mono or stereo,set your tempo,if you want to,then set a 'loop point' in the sequencer window..if you want.. Hit record on that track,then either use the 'Alt or Dub' functions in the transport window. Reason will create extra tracks while you 'loop live'. Easy.=)
Everything you 'need to know' is in the help files.
I hope this helps.
Old 2012-07-21, 20:29

I use NI Guitar Rig for live performance. Look into it. Its killer and has a looper too.