Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-07-23, 19:37

Offering GUI Design for Rack Extension Developers

I would like to offer my interface design skills to all developers. I am a freelance graphic designer since 2010 with over 8 years experience in graphic design. If you need any graphic works I would be happy to help you out

You can see some of my works on www.kennybuck.de

Send me a pm or to my mail on my website.
regards from Germany

Old 2012-07-23, 20:39

Not bad, though it doesn't look a lot like a Reason device to me -- it's very glossy and bauble-y, and doesn't look realistic. The backdrop could use some texture, and the knobs look rather fake and flat with the smooth gradient and absence of other shading. I prefer the EQ design in your portfolio, though it doesn't look much like a Reason device either.

Are you experienced with 3D modeling? It's a requirement for Rack Extension interfaces.

Latest song post: Valley of Echoes, written solely with Reason 1.0 features and sounds
Old 2012-07-23, 20:56

I know about 3D modelling. But I usually don't use it for creating interfaces. I use Phtoshop for my designs. Why would I need 3D modelling for rack extensions? The designs I have done until now were not rack extensions of course. Because rack extensions are new
Old 2012-07-23, 21:41

@kenibu; I hope you succeed, your work looks very professional.
Old 2012-07-23, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawTooth View Post
@kenibu; I hope you succeed, your work looks very professional.
Thank you. I hope I can contribute to some nice extensions
By the way - it should look professional because I do this for living.
Old 2012-07-23, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenibu View Post
Why would I need 3D modelling for rack extensions?
Because, as far as I know, this is how Rack Extension GUIs are made.

Old 2012-07-23, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotica View Post
Because, as far as I know, this is how Rack Extension GUIs are made.
I hope not. I do not see any advantages if so. 3d modelling takes more time, is limited and not good for a pixel perfect design.
Old 2012-07-23, 22:08

Quote:
I hope not. I do not see any advantages if so. 3d modelling takes more time, is limited and not good for a pixel perfect design.
well then you must not use 3D modelling very much then. The main logic behind it (as far as I can see) is:

1. Future-Proofing- they may add a 3d view at some point, and its much easier to make multiple resolutions for higher resolution displays.

2. Lighting/shading- its easier to have realistic shading and lighting effects that are consistent between devices, and from one knob to the next for example.

They also made it so that the textures used as the device backdrop are several thousand pixels wide. Also for future-proofing

with my band:
Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-07-23, 22:35

Quote:
SDK does require 3D graphics coding. Thats been cited in the comments from several developers including being the reason why u-he devices aren't out yet.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano