Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-08-02, 11:20

Question REASON 6 and Novation SL MkII: ADVANCED MODE

Is anybody here playing with REASON and Novation SL MK2 without using AUTOMAP software?
Because i'm having issues at setting it up in ADVANCED MODE: it seems that all controllers on the keyboard (faders, sliders, buttons, pads) are invisible to the software, they don't send midi data. Just the keys do it.
This didn't happen with automap, of course.
It should be as easy as clicking right button, then learn (edit remote override), moving the slider and here u go! But it's not. I just don't get it. It should be the OLD traditional way to use a midi controller, the easier one....
I'm trying not to use the AUTOMAP software, because it doesn't give you a lot flexibility at using more than one device at once: for example if i have a complex patch the only way to set it up is by using the combinator, which gives me just 8 buttons and 4 knobs for tweaking my sounds.
Ok that i can assing many functions to the same knob, but that's not the same.
HELP.
Thanks you.
Old 2012-08-02, 14:01

Its me.
But I find Automap much better and comfortably.

Firstly, you must create or download special remote codec for advanced mode.
I work years ago with that mode.
Look my thread about it:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=132794
Old 2012-08-02, 14:35

Quote:
I'm trying not to use the AUTOMAP software, because it doesn't give you a lot flexibility at using more than one device at once
Hmm, but remote system in the Reason dont able controling more then one device simultaneously.
Old 2012-08-02, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljekio View Post
Hmm, but remote system in the Reason dont able controling more then one device simultaneously.
Thank you for replying.
I dind't know about this, so it would be more or less the same with or without AUTOMAP: but, for example, if i create a COMBINATOR to control 1 thor, 1 malstrom, 1 NN-XT and a mixer, with automap i cas assign just those controllers that the software recognize (4 knobs, 4 buttons), no way to use sliders or pads because Automap's combinator template doesn't allow you to use them, right?
Because the SK MKII usually says "no controls assigned for this RoW" or something similar, that means all pads and sliders ar useless in the combinator, and i cannot play a backin track or a sample playback using a pad while i'm in the combinator track.
Is it the same in ADVANCED MODE?
That's the point i'm trying to work out.
Old 2012-08-02, 15:49

In advanced mode you can to make template with separately control's MIDI-channels and with MIDI-OX software, as example, spread MIDI data for different virtual MIDI-ports and create remotecodec for each.
But it not so easy way.
Old 2012-09-28, 12:53

I've been playing with AUTOMAP in the last few months, everything's ok, more or less.
I'm limited from some points of view, but i've got used to it.
But, anyway, still don't get hot to use the REMOT OVERRIDE without AUTOMAP, in case a need it. I've seen multple videos showing how simple is to do that with a Korg Kontrol for example, or many other controllers: just click AUTO DETECT DEVICE and there u go, every button, slider or knob in the rack is assignable with remote override.
The SL MKII it's not showed in that list, and if i do add it manually i can choose between automap keyboard, automap control (always f*****g automap).
The only controls that i can assign are the 61 keys, sustain, Mod/Pitch and expression pedal.
Do Buttons, slider, knobs and encouders exist just using the AUTOMAP? I'm starting to be afraid this is the answer.....
It's becoming annoying.....planning to buy a NEKTAR PANORAMA 61, when it will be launched, but that's not the point.
Old 2013-02-18, 02:14

never fear

I know what you're talking about. I have and use exclusively a novation 61sl mkii as my midi keyboard. AND I DON'T USE AUTOMAP. In advanced mode. and all the buttons and sliders work just like you think they should. It has to do with what you have selected in your preferences as your controller. Try this.

Go to preferences
Go to Keyboards and Control Surfaces Tab
Deselect any keyboards or control surfaces you already have being used
Click Add
Under Manufacturer, click <other>
Manually "Find" keyboard
Move one of the knobs or faders on the keyboard to allow Reason to "find" it.

This will work. Then, like you previously said it should be as easy as going into remote override edit mode or right clicking any knobs you want assigned and simply moving the fader or knob you want to assign it to! Happiness should be welling up inside of you now!

Blessings
Controller: Novation SL MKII
Old 2013-02-18, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangore View Post
I know what you're talking about. I have and use exclusively a novation 61sl mkii as my midi keyboard. AND I DON'T USE AUTOMAP. In advanced mode. and all the buttons and sliders work just like you think they should. It has to do with what you have selected in your preferences as your controller. Try this.

Go to preferences
Go to Keyboards and Control Surfaces Tab
Deselect any keyboards or control surfaces you already have being used
Click Add
Under Manufacturer, click <other>
Manually "Find" keyboard
Move one of the knobs or faders on the keyboard to allow Reason to "find" it.

This will work. Then, like you previously said it should be as easy as going into remote override edit mode or right clicking any knobs you want assigned and simply moving the fader or knob you want to assign it to! Happiness should be welling up inside of you now!

Blessings
Still don't manage to work it out this way.
I've followed all the steps you told me, and i've add the SL MKII as a standard midi control surface (i moved a slider to let REASON find it).
3- SL MKII.
SO FAR, SO GOOD, but then when i get to the Edit remote Override mapping for a particolar parameter in the rack, no learn functionality seems to work. I select the control surface (Other, Midi Control Keyboard), but even selecting the learn from control surface imput nothing changes when i move a slider on the SL MKii.
Are you connected via USB or via MIDI? I'm connected via USB. Could it be the problem?
Maybe there's something wrong with my settings on the keyboard, or i have accidentally set something in the wrong way. Is there a way to do a Factory Reset?
Old 2013-04-03, 04:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeanluc View Post
Are you connected via USB or via MIDI? I'm connected via USB. Could it be the problem?
Maybe there's something wrong with my settings on the keyboard, or i have accidentally set something in the wrong way. Is there a way to do a Factory Reset?

I'm connected USB. I just followed all the steps again, just to make sure I didn't mis-state anything and my keyboard worked flawlessly. It must be some setting of yours.

This may sound like a dumb question, but you do have your keyboard NOT in Automap mode, correct? The Red Automap button at the top middle of your keyboard should be OFF when attempting what I told you. Otherwise it won't work, thinking its waiting on the Automap host. Another dumb question, when you are in Remote Override Edit Mode and you select the device in which you want to control a particular parameter, are you double clicking the blue down arrow? You should then see a spinning yellow lightning bolt. Then its time to move the knob or fader on your keyboard to map it. It should work seamlessly. If not, I would say it is most definitely a setting on your keyboard or something. And yes, I do believe there is a way to Factory reset the keyboard. I'd go to their website and check out the handbook. You can download the .pdf from there
Controller: Novation SL MKII