Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-08-12, 13:57

Midi Out Alternatives???

Hello, I just want to be able to control some hardware synths. Wish I could from reason, but that is not going to happen yet....sooooo I was wondering how other people control/sequence their hardware gear?

I want to be able to keep them in time/sync with reason, so I am thinking I would have to rewire to another daw right? Two questions with that: 1. What would be the easiest daw for this? 2. Would I still be able use reason mixer and effects?

Thanks
Old 2012-08-12, 14:15

Rewire is a good option. There are a lot of DAWs to choose from. Some of the obvious ones are Logic, ProTools, Sonor, Live. Some of he less obvious ones are Reaper, Studio One, and MuLabs. Personally I think these offer a little more value and as such I use Studio One. I love Reason. It's my go to start any project, to do anything creative, and for basic audio functions. When I want to do any advanced audio manipulations or need to access any third party VSTs I work in Studio One. I seem to do less Rewireing and more moving of stems between applications as I'm running an older computer. I think that may change when I upgrade PCs. If you want to check out Rewire and see if that workflow is ok for then both MuLabs and StudioOne have demo versions.

Unfortunately when Rewireing, Reason always acts as the slave and you need to use the masters mixer. Now if you only want to control ext midi hardware and do nothing else in the "other" DAW then it may be possible to simply sync the MIDI clock of the two applications, sequence the ext gear from the other DAW and then just bring the associated audio into Reason. I say it may be possible because I've never done it and am just think aloud.

I hope my ramblings are of some use.

Reason 7 - Studio One Pro V2.5
Optiplex780 8G Win7 & Dell Latitude E6410 4G Win7 64 bit
Presonus AudioBox1818 - Focusrite VRM - Fender SuperChamp X2
MAudio Oxygen61 - Akai MPD26 - iPad2

Last edited by cpetersus; 2012-08-12 at 14:24. Reason: Forgot part
Old 2012-08-12, 14:30

If you Rewire to another DAW you won't really be able to do s**t with Reason as it will slave to the host DAW. Now if Reason was a Rewire Master ....... anyway, let's not waste anymore time thinking about this for the time being. Check out Chapter 21 of the Reason manual (Synchronization and Advanced MIDI) for all the relevant gubbins on syncing/slaving/Rewire etc.

But to get other Reason's rather painful lack of MIDI-output I've been using the trusty old iPad to take care of business. There are a plethora of very good MIDI Apps on the iPad and, although I've not tried this myself yet. I think you could have Reason synced to a suitable iPad App whilst it's also controlling other MIDI stuff! I've had Genome MIDI sequencing several MIDI devices at once. No reason why Reason couldn't be just another MIDI destination .... I think!

Like I said, not tried this. I'm quite happy sequencing hardware from the iPad & recording into Reason for the time being ..... until Reason gets a MIDI-output so it can take it's rightful place at the center of the studio ;-) This may or may not be happening sooner than some think. Watch this space for some Raw Tech tech
Old 2012-08-12, 15:40

Quote:
Unfortunately when Rewireing, Reason always acts as the slave and you need to use the masters mixer. Now if you only want to control ext midi hardware and do nothing else in the "other" DAW then it may be possible to simply sync the MIDI clock of the two applications, sequence the ext gear from the other DAW and then just bring the associated audio into Reason. I say it may be possible because I've never done it and am just think aloud
Would something like this be possible without rewire? b/c to sink the midi clocks wouldn't you have to be rewired to the other DAW? If you can get this to work without rewire this would be amazing! would be able to use reasons mixer then.
Old 2012-08-12, 16:34

Like I said I'm not sure. Maybe I'll grab a beer after lunch and see if I can make this happen. I'll report back later. If it takes a while to figure out...read several beers...you may need to excuse the initial misspellings!

Reason 7 - Studio One Pro V2.5
Optiplex780 8G Win7 & Dell Latitude E6410 4G Win7 64 bit
Presonus AudioBox1818 - Focusrite VRM - Fender SuperChamp X2
MAudio Oxygen61 - Akai MPD26 - iPad2
Old 2012-08-12, 22:53

How about ReLaunch? Anyone use it?
Old 2012-08-13, 00:26

WOW just saw Raw Tech RE!!!
you think it will be approved by pheads??