Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-08-12, 20:42

(Wild Ones Remix) Good, bad or just plain ugly?

Now to be clear I'm really not a fan of Flo Rida! But I do love the vocal hook of this track - "Wild Ones" - as sung by Sia Furler. So I decided to remix it as some sort of "exorcism" in the hope that I might stop humming it… and here's the result:

Loading SoundCloud…

(100% produced in Reason with no artificial colours or flavours / mixed on headphones)

I'm fairly sure I over-cooked this one and ended up with way too much going on - the bassline alone is built up from approximately 20 separate synths towards the end (no joke) and it contains enough automation to give NASA a headache (I always have trouble knowing when to stop tweaking and layering). But heh, it was a fun experience and I learnt a bunch of new stuff along the way.

Love it or loathe it? Let me know what you think. My wife described it as me "ruining a good song - again", which probably sums it up quite nicely ;-)

Criticism is very welcome, so don't pull any punches - I'm always keen to improve.

Cheers y'all.

PS: I used a bunch of REs on track, including Softube Saturation Knob (on some of the baselines); AD Rough Rider Compressor (on drums); plus FET Compressor, Trident A-Range EQ and iZotope Ozone Maximizer (on the master bus). Loving these new REs.
Old 2012-08-14, 00:53

sounds quality mate
Old 2012-08-14, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushdown View Post
sounds quality mate
Thanks rushdown!

After 63 views and no comments I was beginning to feel like Robert Neville in I Am Legend (the book, not the Will Smith remake with the poopy ending).

Glad you dig the remix :-)
Old 2012-08-14, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat303 View Post
After 63 views and no comments
I was one of those views and if some people are like me, they probably didn't know what to say either. It's not a bad track at all, but nothing special either, it just is.
I just didn't feel anything.

Sorry Patty *hugz*
Old 2012-08-14, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlubeck View Post
I just didn't feel anything.

Sorry Patty *hugz*
No need to apologise 'Becky! I appreciate you taking the time to post. This board is notoriously sparse when it comes to feedback - not a criticism, just how it is. So all replies are welcome.

Good to know it ain't bad, as I know it's not brilliant (I'm no pro - just a happy hobbyist with a busy family/work life - so my tracks are never A-grade).

"I just didn't feel anything"... said the actress to the bishop (boom, boom). Yeah I get your point though - it's not something that that leaps out of the speakers, is it? I just got seduced by the vocal hook of the original and wanted to have a play with it - albeit playing with something very cheesy (like baking a pizza).

Thanks again for the comment, genuinely appreciated.

Last edited by Pat303; 2012-08-14 at 12:10. Reason: having huge man fingers and a tiny keyboard...
Old 2012-08-15, 00:53

This is hot! How did you chop it up like that? Really like this one
Old 2012-08-15, 01:02

not a fan of florida myself or dubstep for that matter but this song was interesting to me and I do like the vocal chops
Old 2012-08-15, 01:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by phresh28 View Post
This is hot! How did you chop it up like that? Really like this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staarchylld View Post
not a fan of florida myself or dubstep for that matter but this song was interesting to me and I do like the vocal chops
^ Thanks guys, glad you like it.

The vocal chops are created using the NN-XT sampler using the following method:

1. Convert a few bars of the dry vocal (i.e. with no FX) into a .wav file or similar.

2. Load up a bunch of these files into an NN-XT sampler - as many as you like, maybe start with 8 or 16 copies of the .wav file. Select them all, right-click (or CTRL click on Mac) and select 'Automap Zones Chromatically' in the drop down menu, which will assign each sample to a note on the piano roll / keyboard.

3. Draw in a few bars of NN-XT in the sequencer. Set up a very short loop (1/8 or 1/16 of a bar, for example) and in the piano roll editor draw in a short section of your first sample. Then in the NN-XT, adjust the sample start position (the dial beneath the main sampler window) and notice how this changes the sound. Play around with the start position until you hear a note (or other noise) that you like.

4. Repeat this process for all of the duplicate samples you've loaded.

5. You'll now have a bunch of short, sample notes/noises that you can use to manually create chopped up vocal riffs - i.e. by copying/pasting and arranging the different notes, just as you would notes for a lead synth, for example.

It can be a very time-consuming process, but it gives you a lot of control over the end result - and I've yet to come across any FX that replicate it convincingly (although the Alligator can be used to create something similar).

Check out this tutorial video, which is where I stole - ahem - 'borrowed' the idea from ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpB_Rgu79Zk

Last edited by Pat303; 2012-08-15 at 01:55. Reason: I'm a klutz... is that reason enough. Well is it??
Old 2012-08-15, 01:55

Lol thanks for the info. Keep Doing your thing. You got my support
Old 2012-08-15, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by phresh28 View Post
Lol thanks for the info. Keep Doing your thing. You got my support
No problem phresh, happy to share!

And cheers for the support.