Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-08-28, 09:26
network3r

How to become Great

What do I have to do to become great at reason? How long does it take for you to become great? I've been at it for about 3 months now. I've been playing around with it for 3+ hours a day. I been watching youtube tutorial videos and am taking a music theory class right now. I don't have any other musical experience. I like to make house music.
Old 2012-08-28, 09:53

First off "how long does it take for 'one' to become great?" That all depends on the individual and how much time one devotes to learning his craft. There are some folk here that would arguably call themselves "great" (myself included) that have been using this program for years (I began with Reason 3).

If you are looking at the tutorials then you are off to a good start and apply it to your own songs. Music theory class is great as well. Asking for help here on these forums is another good thing. Get some kind of streaming account to upload your music to like reverbnation.com, soundcloud.com to name a couple so that we may critique your work. Study the demo songs that came with reason... load them up and look at the different settings of the instruments, solo the instruments as well... look at the midi for the different instruments. But most importantly... practice, Practice, PRACTICE!
Old 2012-08-28, 22:06
FeelGoodRecordz

some times you can have all the knowledge in the world bout how something works and the practical uses of it, but you'll never acheive greatness. Find your inspiration, hold on to it, and practice practice practice! and improve your network, ask the producers that are making the sound you want for adivce and keep them as a close contact
Old 2012-08-28, 22:18

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelGoodRecordz View Post
some times you can have all the knowledge in the world bout how something works and the practical uses of it, but you'll never acheive greatness. Find your inspiration, hold on to it, and practice practice practice! and improve your network, ask the producers that are making the sound you want for adivce and keep them as a close contact
Your first post is a really good one!! Welcome!
Old 2012-08-28, 22:18

I'd replace "greatness" with "proficient".

1. Learn the program inside out until you can do things with your eyes closed sort of speak.

2.Learn and come up with your own production techniques.

3.Don't imitate, create.
Old 2012-08-29, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlubeck View Post
I'd replace "greatness" with "proficient".

1. Learn the program inside out until you can do things with your eyes closed sort of speak.

2.Learn and come up with your own production techniques.

3.Don't imitate, create.
Id agree.

I know I made this track after having Reason for not even two months, after a hiatus of....5 YEARS of not being able to sequence drums, beats, songs or anything. I was even able to pluck the first couple samples you hear at the beginning from a movie, and use Reason to place em in the song = in less than two months. http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/song/8656606

Knowing a great deal of music theory is certainly not to ones disadvantage. It only greases the wheel.

My ultimate point im getting at by sharing that link that many people here have heard already, is "know what you want to do". From that, Reason basically holds your hand.

Im honestly saying you should put as much time into conceptualizing your music as you do learning the program - together, it should work itself out.
Old 2012-08-29, 01:27

Still a funky tune Ras, but from what you said above it's clear you've had prior experience.

OP doesn't seem to have that judging from his post. I myself came from a tracker background and had about 6 years to understand and get proficient at music tracking before I ventured into Reason.
It took me about 3 weeks to grasp the program and 3 months to push out a track I was satisfied with but I can imagine it being quite a bit longer process if you jump in with near-zero experience.

Agree fully with your last sentence: you should put as much time into conceptualizing your music as you do learning the program - together, it should work itself out.
Old 2012-08-28, 10:01

Patience my friend..

I dont know how your setup is, but a eye-opener for me was a midi keyboard. I spent years fiddling in the notes in Cakewalk, until I understood that there is a more musical way of doing this.

Also, from my own experience: Melody, melody, melody! Focus first at creating a catchy melody and feel to your tracks. Less focus on making it sound good. Most people want a cathy tune, and do not pay so much attention to details. You will learn new mixing-techniques on every new track you make, and then be wise to go back to your first songs, and apply your new techniques on them.

It sounds to me that your doing the right thing by taking classes and watching youtube. Maybe squeeze in learning an instrument? All in all, it will give you more musical understanding and a more solid musical-foundation.

Best of luck!
Old 2012-08-28, 10:22

I would say about 5 years minimum. Only 3 for good tho.
Old 2012-08-28, 10:40

It depends on patience, dedication, talent and studio knowledge background. That means anything between a few days and never