Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-02, 18:20

Reason's Competitive Advantages (besides cost)

Hi,

Often when people praise Reason from a competitive standpoint it comes down to all the widgets you get for the price, the "one stop shop" factor. Or how you can (arguably) do what you can do with other DAW's and plugs for a fraction of the cost.

Fair enough.

But aside from this, from a creative standpoint, what does Reaaon offer that is truly unique? In other words, why might someone who can afford to an entire setup in another DAW use Reason instead of or in addition to some other fully stocked solution?

The first thing that comes to mind is the CV's. As a creative tool, they are pretty cool. Stability is often touted. But thats sort of "meh" from a creative standpoint. Undo's? Ok...

After that, i start to get fuzzy.

If you worked for Props' marketing dept, what would you tell me?
Old 2012-09-02, 19:16

I would def. agree with the CV and all around modular approach.

Disagree on the stability. While I agree that might not be a big deal to most people...BUT...take it away and see if they mind! before I found Reason that was a big problem for me.

Otherwise, what I personally like about reason is how much more efficient it is in my workflow.
It never "gets in the way" like all other DAW I've owned or demo-ed.
Old 2012-09-02, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub08 View Post
I would def. agree with the CV and all around modular approach.

Disagree on the stability. While I agree that might not be a big deal to most people...BUT...take it away and see if they mind! before I found Reason that was a big problem for me.

Otherwise, what I personally like about reason is how much more efficient it is in my workflow.
It never "gets in the way" like all other DAW I've owned or demo-ed.
I havent found stability of other DAW's a huuuuuge problem. At least not as much on the Mac. When I was on PC I found crashing to be more of an issue because of how many hardware and driver variables there can be. Crashing is a reality on both platforms though, true.

But for me I wouldnt move over to Reason just for stability, because ultimately I wouldnt be getting the flexibility of using whatever plugs I wanted. Re's change this situation, somewhat but still, choice isnt completely open.

As for workflow, its completely subjective. I like Live but some people find it a confusing workflow. And likewaise with Reason. So one could not say to somebody "Reason's workflow is better than x". Thats entirely subjective.

So far, modularity is a huge part of Reason's demonstrable competitive advantage/difference from a creative standpoint.

What else?
Old 2012-09-02, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdubrock View Post
I havent found stability of other DAW's a huuuuuge problem. At least not as much on the Mac. When I was on PC I found crashing to be more of an issue because of how many hardware and driver variables there can be. Crashing is a reality on both platforms though, true.

But for me I wouldnt move over to Reason just for stability, because ultimately I wouldnt be getting the flexibility of using whatever plugs I wanted. Re's change this situation, somewhat but still, choice isnt completely open.

As for workflow, its completely subjective. I like Live but some people find it a confusing workflow. And likewaise with Reason. So one could not say to somebody "Reason's workflow is better than x". Thats entirely subjective.

So far, modularity is a huge part of Reason's demonstrable competitive advantage/difference from a creative standpoint.

What else?
I get it now, you meant more like "technical agruments" ?
sorry, i was only speaking from personal experience. thats really all i have.
but then, personal experience is all i'd need to win this hypothetical "argument".

I do agree what i said for my workflow is entirely subjective.
but, you did go on to say "from a creative standpoint"
I thought that creativity and workflow drove the same bus to work every morning.
IMO a "creative standpoint" would be even more subjective and, constantly varying from person to person.

just what are we trying to figure out or argue here? and where is the other side of the argument? hypothetically speaking, of course.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:04

IMO most other DAW win over Reason from a technical position. They all for the most part have better techncal tools. I believe Reason wins alot of people over with the creative side of things. I was an Hard core Logic man and still love Logic, but from a creative standpoint i flow in Reason better. BUT i can get the job done in any DAW because i learned the fundamentals of Tracking, editing & mixing before there was a DAW program.
Propellerhead Reason 7.1 | Desktop: Custom Computer Build | Win7 Pro 64-bit | 3.50GHz Intel "Haswell" I7 4770k Quad Core | 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 Dual Channel | Rain Computers LiveBook Laptop | Win7 Pro 64-bit | 2.7GHz Intel "Sandy Bridge" Core i7 2620M Dual-Core Processor | 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 Dual Channel SDRAM |
Akai MPK 49 USB/MIDI Controller
Propellerhead Balance audio interface

http://soundcloud.com/dipps-groove
Old 2012-09-02, 21:09

Well, its harder to argue Cubase vs Logic vs PT and other traditional linear DAWs because they model more or less the same paradigm. But they have some differences that come into play when chosing one over the other. Reaper, which I dont use, is reputed to have many advantages over other DAWs from a customization standpoint as well as some other stuff. Or, if I were comparing Logic to say, Studio One, i could say the folder track implementation is far more developed and potentially useful in Logic, while S1 has other advantages.
The nonlinear clip launching paradigm of Live was a game changer that really spoke to loop based producers. Live has a bunch of esoteric creative features like drum racks and follow actions etc that some miht argue are entirely unique.

With Reason, the modularity and cv's is something other daws dont have (although with Numerology on the Mac the CV thing at least has an alternative).

That kind of thing. I dont know if this is clearer.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:30

Well I've never really used anything else but I would think the transparency of the whole system is nice. When you buy a refill you can just open up the combi and see what's happening in the guts of the patch. I feel like that is a good way to learn, so you might say you get a more hands on experience instead of having opaque plugins that work all their magic behind the scenes.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:36

One advantage that I think Reason has over other DAWs is the ability to learn how to wire up audio gear. When I starting doing the FOH engineering for my church services it was easy for me to install new rack devices and set things up. Side chain compression, no problem, I've wired it up in Reason hundred of times.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:58

Quote:
Well, its harder to argue Cubase vs Logic vs PT and other traditional linear DAWs because they model more or less the same paradigm. But they have some differences that come into play when chosing one over the other. Reaper, which I dont use, is reputed to have many advantages over other DAWs from a customization standpoint as well as some other stuff. Or, if I were comparing Logic to say, Studio One, i could say the folder track implementation is far more developed and potentially useful in Logic, while S1 has other advantages.
The nonlinear clip launching paradigm of Live was a game changer that really spoke to [b]loop based producers.[b] Live has a bunch of esoteric creative features like drum racks and follow actions etc that some miht argue are entirely unique.

With Reason, the modularity and cv's is something other daws dont have (although with Numerology on the Mac the CV thing at least has an alternative).

That kind of thing. I dont know if this is clearer.
what I have quoted here in bold is again, very much subjective and/or personal experience stuff.

so, it's not really that much clearer for me what we are arguing for/against.
Since, all I have is my subjective personal experience and, all you have is more subjective stuff (and track folders!)
I think we are trying to argue an impossible argument, hypothetically.
Old 2012-09-02, 20:28

Quote:
Often when people praise Reason from a competitive standpoint it comes down to all the widgets you get for the price, the "one stop shop" factor. Or how you can (arguably) do what you can do with other DAW's and plugs for a fraction of the cost.
After carefully reconsidering this argument I must confess it's not entirely true. Before I switched to Reason, Logic 9 Pro was my primary DAW and it has a pretty neat bunch of plugins and sound libraries out-of-the-box. Even the price is competitive. What finally caused me to switch was self-restriction (now unfortunately obsolete with RE's and I find myself looking at RE's all the time) and its gorgeous modularity of audio and CV.