Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-09-03, 04:01
alpestrine

newbie question

hello all, an almost complete noob here. i have a very basic question and would really appreciate some help. if this is not the place for such simple questions, pls redirect me...

i'm trying to learn reason (and recycle) by copying some fave hip hop songs and trying to copy what the producer did with the original sample. so i'm starting off with this saxophone sample, if you click here you can hear both the original and how they sampled it:

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/vie...Don%27t%20See/

as u can hear, all i need to do is slow it down, but with recycle, i can't figure out how to do that. changing pitch doesn't change the length, and changing tempo only changes the amount of silence after the clip. as u can hear from the clip, the producer slows down the original sample.

thanx for taking the time to help a beginner =^D

o
Old 2012-09-03, 04:11

Well, you can load the sound into Reason and then hold control and stretch the ends of the clip.
Old 2012-09-03, 04:24

hello the nnxt sampler in reason can do this , you got to right click on the sampler then select init patch ,
once initialise you got to load your sample or full track in it and to do so you cannot load it in the front panel you got to load the sample by open it in the bottom by clicking on the small arrow that will open the bottom and then you can load it in that small browser and once in it your sample it will be playable on everykey of your keyboard controleur and speed and pitch will change as well from left (low and slow) to right (fast and high) here is a tutorial on you tube because my english sucks lol ! http://youtu.be/r568aklNeLE

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
Old 2012-09-05, 00:14
alpestrine

ok i have tried loading the sample into nnxt and i have almost solved the problem, but have found something strange: when i listen to the hip hop version, i can hear that they have lowered the pitch 2 semitones from the original sample, but in terms of the sample's *length*, they have lowered it 7 semitones! so when i play the sample 2 keys down on my midi keyboard, it's the correct pitch but not long enough, and when i play it 7 keys lower, the length is perfect but the pitch is too deep!

so i guess what they did was to slow it down but keep the pitch higher... so any ideas if this is possible and how to do it in reason. thanx in advance

ps lunesis i haven't tried your suggestion yet because i'm not sure how you say i should get the sample in reason, and where exactly i can edit it... could you be a bit more specific pls, keeping in mind my newness to this big scary program
Old 2012-09-05, 02:17

Cant you load the clip in nnxt, lower the pitch, record the correctly pitched clip to a audio track, stretch the resulting audio clip with the clip markers to desired length - so you're combining both methods suggested above to achieve result, think this would work (probably lol)
Old 2012-09-05, 08:04

If you are using Reason 6, you can stretch an audio clip to a desired length and you can also shift its pitch up or down up to 12 semitones by using the Transpose feature in the sequencer. If you already have an audio file of the original sound edited properly, this would probably be the simplest thing to do. If not, you can create an audio track in Reason and record the sound to that track and then trim the audio clip to isolate the sound you want to manipulate.

Many Reason devices also are able to directly record samples from external sources, and you could approach the problem from a different angle - for example, by loading/sampling the sound into an NN-XT and getting it matched to the proper tempo, but then using a Neptune (or if you have RE access, a Polar) to alter the pitch to whatever you like.

Old 2012-09-05, 22:47
alpestrine

i'm using reason 5

@geiger167 i would love to do that, but cannot figure out how. any chance of a step-by-step? when i record the sample into the sequencer with the nnxt, the samples just show up as little rectangles, and stretching the end of them doesn't change their length, but simply adds silence to the end of the sample!

i suspect i need to be seeing the samples as actual waveforms, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the view mode. i've been searching for an hour with no luck. come to think of it, i've never seen my notes appear as waveforms even when i'm playing midi instruments into reason; they just appear as those little rectangles...

also: how do i create an audio track? (blush)

thanx in advance to one and all

Last edited by alpestrine; 2012-09-05 at 22:50.
Old 2012-09-03, 18:11

new ok , you got to understand that it is nice to reply when peoples help you out in a forum even with a ( ok ) because when peoples take time to help you out it logic if you care about your hown question to just reply by respect ! thanks

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
Old 2012-09-04, 03:38
alpestrine

ok sure thing
=^)
thanks for your suggestions charlycharlzz and lunesis... i am going to try them as soon as i have a minute, and will keep u updated