Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-09-10, 15:20

Exclamation General MIDI rack module (Sound Canvas, e.g.)

This was just suggested by JpPropellaed in a discussion in the User Forum about the ID8.

Almost all of my work begins as Standard Midi Files (SMF) in another program which I then import into Reason. With Reason 3 I had to assign instruments and select patches for each track before I could hear it; tedious, if all I want to do is hear a track quickly. Eventually everything will be revoiced, but it would be great to hear my imported file immediately.

With Reason 6 if I import an SMF each track is assigned an ID8 instrument. So far, so good. I understand that the ID8 was created for for just this purpose for Record owners who did not own Reason. But the choice of instruments in ID8 is limited. I don't have a problem with the quality of the voices in ID8, I just wish there were more of them.

Since the files I import are from a General MIDI (GM) soundset, it would be very nice if there was a corresponding GM device in the Reason Rack. This is particularly true for drums, as I never found a kit in Reason that didn't take extensive MIDI editing to be usable. (I searched for years before I found a true GM-compatible drum kit, the PinkNoise SC-55 Refill.) Maybe the ID8 already does that; I haven't tried it yet. But that leaves the other 127 slots in the GM soundset to fill.

I realize that the way I work is somewhat specialized. But maybe other users have their own GM needs. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Richard
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA

Last edited by ryszard; 2012-09-10 at 15:25. Reason: Correct attribution
Old 2012-09-11, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
This was just suggested by JpPropellaed in a discussion in the User Forum about the ID8.

Almost all of my work begins as Standard Midi Files (SMF) in another program which I then import into Reason. With Reason 3 I had to assign instruments and select patches for each track before I could hear it; tedious, if all I want to do is hear a track quickly. Eventually everything will be revoiced, but it would be great to hear my imported file immediately.

With Reason 6 if I import an SMF each track is assigned an ID8 instrument. So far, so good. I understand that the ID8 was created for for just this purpose for Record owners who did not own Reason. But the choice of instruments in ID8 is limited. I don't have a problem with the quality of the voices in ID8, I just wish there were more of them.

Since the files I import are from a General MIDI (GM) soundset, it would be very nice if there was a corresponding GM device in the Reason Rack. This is particularly true for drums, as I never found a kit in Reason that didn't take extensive MIDI editing to be usable. (I searched for years before I found a true GM-compatible drum kit, the PinkNoise SC-55 Refill.) Maybe the ID8 already does that; I haven't tried it yet. But that leaves the other 127 slots in the GM soundset to fill.

I realize that the way I work is somewhat specialized. But maybe other users have their own GM needs. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Richard
I would like a good soundfont player. A good soundfont player probably could play GM files as well (if they implement it right).
Old 2012-09-11, 18:35

Interesting thought. I have five disks of great Sound Fonts I can't use unless I go back to Cubase or get into squirelly lashups with third-party apps. I can't see how Sound Fonts and GM could work together, but that's my limitation. I'm sure others know a great deal more about the subject. In any case, it looks like there is a need to be able to use existing sound sets using different protocols within Reason.

Old 2012-09-11, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
I have five disks of great Sound Fonts I can't use unless I go back to Cubase or get into squirelly lashups with third-party apps.
You can use Sound Fonts with the NN-XT:

http://www.re-wiki.com/reason/reason...es/soundfonts/
Old 2012-09-12, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmygoff View Post
You can use Sound Fonts with the NN-XT:

http://www.re-wiki.com/reason/reason...es/soundfonts/
Sort of. Per the manual re: File Formats:

Quote:
The NN-XT, NN-19, and the Redrum let you load individual samples and presets from a SoundFont bank, but not the complete SoundFont.
Almost, but not quite, all the way there.