Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-09-14, 21:52

What am doing wrong?

I am new here even i use reason from 2.5 version but I want to ask you guys what am doing wrong with my sound? I always have problem with mastering not to mention i still cant use compression. Hope i dont bother anybody here.

http://soundcloud.com/mediumen/l-a-r-s-empty-mind
Old 2012-09-14, 21:59

Welcome, a forumsearch on mastering, mixing and compressing will show alot of threads with alot of information on the subject.

If you're on Reason 6.5, you can easily follow along with most of them. If you have a specific issue, just ask, there's some knowledgable people around here always willing to help.
Old 2012-09-14, 22:55

Hello MediuM, welcome to the forum. Your ears must be better than mine, because I don't hear anything wrong with your mix. I'm sure that people here who have what I call "professional ears" will be able to give you good tips on how to improve and refine your mix and mastering skills, but to me it sounds clear and crisp, which is how I like synth music to sound.

Last edited by mbain; 2012-09-14 at 23:28. Reason: edited for typos
Old 2012-09-15, 00:30

You're doing alright if you ask me. Sounds decent.

A little compression would kick ass.

Now go get reason 6.5 upgrade!
Old 2012-09-15, 17:20

Sounds fine here. The biggest thing in getting a good mix is having the right set of speakers, and then having them eq'd and set up so that music that is well mixed sounds right on them. A decent set of calibrated reference monitors is the trick to getting a decent mix. Then, take yor mix and play it everywhere: in the car, on your TV, on a surround system, on a little mono speaker, etc. it's a good mix when it sounds good everywhere. It's a good reference monitor system when a mix that sounds good on it also sounds good everywhere else.
Old 2012-09-15, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediuM View Post
I am new here even i use reason from 2.5 version but I want to ask you guys what am doing wrong with my sound? I always have problem with mastering not to mention i still cant use compression. Hope i dont bother anybody here.

http://soundcloud.com/mediumen/l-a-r-s-empty-mind
Google-search compression, compression tips, uses of compression. you might want to add 'PDF' in front of your search so you can have downloadables on compression.
Old 2012-09-15, 21:16

Do yourself a big favor and read, eat, sleep and live this before you ask questions in the forums: https://www.propellerheads.se/substance/record-u/ . Then you'll be much more prepared to know which path to take and which opinions to follow. And hey, welcome to the forums.

Edit: BTW, compression is Dynamics (Part 3). Until you get the feel for how to use everything else, think of compression as a last resort for doing anything. It’s wonderful when used properly at the right place at the right time, but if you start by thinking that you have to use it first, then you’ll be putting a huge roadblock to yourself in learning how to do everything else correctly.

Last edited by MayorMcCheese; 2012-09-15 at 23:41.
Old 2012-09-16, 10:03

Hello bro! I think it sounds pretty cool!

But you can make it sound more Massive with Etch Red! (Best FXpansion ever)

Look at Etc Red - Tutorial Video 1 and the sound in you music will be awsome! Good luck!
Old 2012-09-27, 18:45

Wow. Thanx to everyone for replays. But my big challenge will be that compressor and work with him :/ I know there is no magical video or tutorial how set ir "right" because sometimes some sound need comptession others not or different setting. So i think i need to listen alot and practise.
And sry for my english have a nice day to all.
Old 2012-09-27, 20:02

Doesn't sound that bad to me. The only thing I did think was odd was the waveform displayed on SC. Might just be me but it looks like there is something wierd going on in the peaks of the waveform. Probably just the nature of the instruments used, I dunno. Looking at some of your other tracks on SC though, they don't show the same artifacts in the waveforms.

I'm no expert, maybe someone else could explain.

At the end of the day it's not what it looks like, it's what it sounds like, and like I said at the start of this post, it sounds ok to me.

Last edited by xDJDroidx; 2012-09-27 at 20:05.