Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-15, 07:11

SEX UP the SSL! You know you want it!

Wouldn't it be great if Reason provided a handsome mixing console where the realism and outright design was drop dead gorgeous? Right down to those British like, high dollar (uh, pound) solo buttons, brushed aluminum surfaces (here and there), and increased wow factor with some sheer realism.

Now, before you react and protect the SSL for all it is (is it?). Have a look at the Imperial design used with Reaper.
(mouse over to get different views of channels, FX rack, master, etc.
http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape..._imperial.html

I just see something like this for the Reason main mixer. It would be one step closer to having a super nice console feel, as apposed to the all too bright main mixer in place now.

The Imperial requires a 1080 pixel vertical screen resolution so it's not for everyone. It's linked here as a reference, that's all. Hey, Sonar has spiced up their mixer as well.

My initial reaction was "nah, don't need it", but after really viewing the Imperial, it is a very cool realistic and purposeful design (albeit Reaper Design in this case). No screws and over detailed nonsense. Just a real quality look!

This is a Reaper skin but it would be very cool if Props incorporated such a facelift with Reason.

So please spiff up the main mixer, Props. Maybe even in other places throughout the program as well! (ala rack) Watcha think?

Remember, if you like it, ask for it.
Oh, and Props, the Imperial skin is for free. A fresh look with Reason could really be quite cost effective while you're creating all of those great new instruments and fancy editing for Reason 7 (huh?)

Last edited by Lokeyfly; 2012-09-15 at 07:28. Reason: Move to Feature suggestion
Old 2012-09-15, 08:55

That is one of the sexiest GUI's i've seen on a DAW (if not, the sexiest!). Almost makes me want to get Reaper just for that...
Old 2012-09-15, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlefactory View Post
That is one of the sexiest GUI's i've seen on a DAW (if not, the sexiest!). Almost makes me want to get Reaper just for that...
I know right! It's eye candy!
Old 2012-09-16, 00:27

Big fat whatever! This is a Reason forum not a Reaper forum and I would like to point out the Reason SSL looks so much better than that sheet you posted!
Old 2012-09-16, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomriv View Post
Big fat whatever! This is a Reason forum not a Reaper forum and I would like to point out the Reason SSL looks so much better than that sheet you posted!
Yes, it is a Reason forum.

That's good then. You have the better mixer that you like!

Hey, ya did good!
Old 2012-09-15, 10:42

wow thats is sexy!! reason should get its sexiness on!!
what reaper version is that?!
Old 2012-09-15, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardry View Post
wow thats is sexy!! reason should get its sexiness on!!
what reaper version is that?!
it's just a skin,

a beautifull one
Old 2012-09-15, 11:18

That is very nice, but Propellerhead seems to treat their virtual hardware pretty much like real hardware, so I don't know if they'd be willing to change it. Maybe they'll set up that kind of skinning for us though, if we ask for it.

They couldn't just copy that person's files though. Although it's released for free, it also says that they don't want you making money off of it either, so Propellerhead would have to make their own or buy it from the people who made it or somethin'.

Fortunately the mixer in Reason really doesn't look bad as it is. Maybe some others are catching up or even surpassing it in looks now, but the screenshots I saw of a lot of other DAWs from a couple of years ago were not too impressive.
Old 2012-09-15, 11:31

From v4.25+ on. Just put that in Reason clothing man! Yee-ooow.
Old 2012-09-15, 12:24

I thought you might like to know that I found where some of the interface files are kept, and they actually can be modified if anyone wants to bother with a skin. At least on the Mac version. They're in Applications > Reason > Resources.

I edited SeqMarkerLoopRight.png to verify that they could be changed without a problem, and at the moment my right loop marker switches between blue and yellow when it's inactive and active respectively.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the mixer files are there (or the interfaces for the various devices). There are some mixer images, but I believe they're just screenshots for use in the documentation or something like that.

If you want to change how the sequencer or some of the other interface elements look though, open it up and give it a shot! Just make sure to back up the original files first in case you're not happy with your changes.