Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

View Poll Results: Do you want to automate "steps" in Redrum
Yeah 25 92.59%
Nope 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-20, 08:32

Exclamation Step automation in Redrum

I would like to automate the "Step" value in Redrum (including possibility to control this via MIDI).

This makes sick drum breaks when I control steps amount with the mouse. Go and try it, you'll see how cool this is...
Old 2012-10-10, 16:04

Come on

Guys, come on, vote for Redrum steps automation. I assure you're gonna love this!! This is suitable for idm, glitch, ambient, psychill and various experimental styles.
Old 2012-10-12, 01:56

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't even know what this is. Any chance you could describe what you're meaning?
Old 2012-10-12, 02:40

Does this mean to be able to map via midi the buttons on the Redrum? So, that if I had my MC-303, I could potentially control the step sequencer using that?
Old 2012-10-12, 07:01

It's the number of steps for the step sequencer at the bottom of the Redrum. If it is playing while you're changing the steps value it puts out some pretty funky beats, like drum rolls etc you do have to have written in patterns to cover the amount of steps you change it to though otherwise it doesnt play anything until write it in.

You could probably get a similar effect out of the Buffre RE.
Old 2012-10-17, 14:20

Comparison to Buffre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bspain View Post

You could probably get a similar effect out of the Buffre RE.
Similar, but in fact this is something very much different and gives you different type of artistic freedom than Buffre. And if you control the pitch and pan of some samples via CV on the back side, you'll get a glitchy breaking all-time-morphing drum monster...
Old 2012-10-17, 17:40

This is possible, its just a bit work around but easy to achieve. Drop redrum into combinator and assign a rotary to redrums pattern select. Now copy and paste your drumloop on each pattern, up to 32. and select for pattern A 1 1 step, for A 2 2 steps, A 3 3 steps and so on.

You could also download our combinator updates for the rough connection vol 1,2 & 3 packs. It's works more controlled but the breaks are pre programmed so when you don't have these packs just replace the missing drumhits with any others in the NN-XT sampler. But you have to create a account to download these combinators. You will find on the freebie page also a lot cool dnb and dubstep samples for free !

www.bhksamples.com

RC Combinator update Drum order (NN-XT)

C1 Kick,

D#1 Snare,

E1 Hihat,

F1 Ghost Snare,

F#1 hihat

G1 Ghost Snare

Combinator redrum steps patch is attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip REDRUM STEP AUTOMATION.zip (1.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by BHKSamples; 2012-10-17 at 18:05.
Old 2012-10-18, 10:03

This is limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightinch View Post
This is possible, its just a bit work around but easy to achieve. Drop redrum into combinator and assign a rotary to redrums pattern select. Now copy and paste your drumloop on each pattern, up to 32. and select for pattern A 1 1 step, for A 2 2 steps, A 3 3 steps and so on.
Of course I had this idea of switching patterns with different lengths before, but this is something far much different than changing steps. Reason switches to newly selected pattern only when the pointer of the last pattern is at the end of the pattern or when the pointer is aligned to 16th step (or something like this). If Redrum would switch the pattern right when you select it, it would be much closer. But it doesn't. It alignes. And that's the problem. When you change "steps" amount with the mouse, it restarts the pattern right when you set new "steps" value and it's out of rhythm alignment, and THAT'S the point why it's needed.

Start your Reason, load some Redrum, press play. Click the mouse on the "Steps" indicator, keep mouse down (clicked) and move it up and down. It changes steps amout very quickly and Redrum responses immediatelly and makes very much different beats, more random, more breaking, more sophisticated...
Old 2012-10-18, 10:43

+1

And the resolution of the pattern also while they are at it.
Both simple yet long overdue features.

The same goes for the Matrix sequencer.
Old 2012-10-18, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientium View Post
Of course I had this idea of switching patterns with different lengths before, but this is something far much different than changing steps. Reason switches to newly selected pattern only when the pointer of the last pattern is at the end of the pattern or when the pointer is aligned to 16th step (or something like this). If Redrum would switch the pattern right when you select it, it would be much closer. But it doesn't. It alignes. And that's the problem. When you change "steps" amount with the mouse, it restarts the pattern right when you set new "steps" value and it's out of rhythm alignment, and THAT'S the point why it's needed.

Start your Reason, load some Redrum, press play. Click the mouse on the "Steps" indicator, keep mouse down (clicked) and move it up and down. It changes steps amout very quickly and Redrum responses immediatelly and makes very much different beats, more random, more breaking, more sophisticated...
Didn't knew you have try this already , but yeah you right it starts always with the first step this way. But i don't think the possibility to automate the step is the best solution as the results will still be off. I mean it would be not wrong to have this but there is even a better way.

I have make this redrum mock up as future suggestion with 64 visible steps and you can apply for each pattern 4 phrases which can be triggered via key notes so you could program up to 128 phrases. Would be dope !