Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-23, 14:41

mp3 convertion directly from 24bit/96KHz?

Hi,

when I exporting .wav from Reason6.5 I use 24/96 for the output-file.
Than I make a Master with Ozone5 (24/96 as well).

My question is, if I have to Dither it after Ozone5 when I only want to convert it to mp3 not to an Audio-CD-File?

Or can I make a mastered 24/96 .wav and then convert it directly to mp3 without Dithering and save as 16/41?

Is there a quality lost when I Dither?
Old 2012-09-24, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syva View Post
Hi,

when I exporting .wav from Reason6.5 I use 24/96 for the output-file.
Than I make a Master with Ozone5 (24/96 as well).

My question is, if I have to Dither it after Ozone5 when I only want to convert it to mp3 not to an Audio-CD-File?

Or can I make a mastered 24/96 .wav and then convert it directly to mp3 without Dithering and save as 16/41?

Is there a quality lost when I Dither?
if you recorded voice in that song was it recorded @ 96k too? Rule of thumb is export @ d resolution you recorded voice with. If they are midi instruments alone, they can adjust more easily.
You should dither please. Master & dither to 16bit 44100Khz for CD use or leave as is if you want to use it for video purposes.
Mp3 is a lossy compression format. However, some settings tend to sound 'better' in the same Mp3 field. Feel free to try out the higher bit rates. 128kb/sec is considered CD quality mp3 conversion by Sony.
Old 2012-09-24, 20:41

This thread has all the info about both topics (mp3 encoding and dithering). https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/....php?p=1086274
Old 2012-09-24, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricalvolt View Post
if you recorded voice in that song was it recorded @ 96k too? Rule of thumb is export @ d resolution you recorded voice with. If they are midi instruments alone, they can adjust more easily.
You should dither please. Master & dither to 16bit 44100Khz for CD use or leave as is if you want to use it for video purposes.
Mp3 is a lossy compression format. However, some settings tend to sound 'better' in the same Mp3 field. Feel free to try out the higher bit rates. 128kb/sec is considered CD quality mp3 conversion by Sony.
I forgot to add: you can make an mp3 copy of the song directly from the mastered (and dithered) copy while its still in the 24bit 96K format.
Old 2012-09-24, 20:44

In mp3 there is no bit depth and also no sample rate anymore. It depends on the encoder if it can use the extended data from 24bit/96k files to enhance the data in the mp3. Its mostly decoded to 44.1/16bit anyway. Again, check the thread here: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/....php?p=1086274 Its going in depth about everything
Edit: Oh, and almost everybody I know can tell a 128kBit mp3 from a CD pretty quickly, 256 gets harder, 360 I met nobody. That said, it *is* a lossy format and you should not convert back and forth even if its 360kBit.

Last edited by normen; 2012-09-24 at 20:46.
Old 2012-09-24, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
In mp3 there is no bit depth and also no sample rate anymore. It depends on the encoder if it can use the extended data from 24bit/96k files to enhance the data in the mp3. Its mostly decoded to 44.1/16bit anyway. Again, check the thread here: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/....php?p=1086274 Its going in depth about everything
Edit: Oh, and almost everybody I know can tell a 128kBit mp3 from a CD pretty quickly, 256 gets harder, 360 I met nobody. That said, it *is* a lossy format and you should not convert back and forth even if its 360kBit.
"In mp3 there is no bit depth and also no sample rate anymore."
I could do with more clarifying.
Old 2012-09-24, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricalvolt View Post
"In mp3 there is no bit depth and also no sample rate anymore."
I could do with more clarifying.
The data is stored after a FFT transform.. You go from time domain to frequency domain. So instead of storing this:

you bascially store this (in a compressed form):

Last edited by normen; 2012-09-24 at 21:07. Reason: better image