Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-09-26, 17:57
mcentanne

guitar troubles

I've created a new audio track and created a line 6 amp in reason 6.5. The audio track is receiving a signal and so is the line 6. I have automatic monitoring turned on and can hear the unaltered guitar sound through my headphones connected to my audio interface. If I record a few notes and play them back I can hear the effect of the line 6 on the guitar signal, but I can't hear the line 6 when I'm monitoring the live signal. Any ideas? It's almost as if my audio interface is bypassing the software completely until the recorded signal is played back.
Old 2012-09-26, 20:26

Sounds like some kind of direct monitoring is turned on to bypass any system processing. Can be useful when recording but can be anoying if you don't know how it works.

If i'm correct your using an audio interface right?

What type?
Old 2012-09-27, 00:28

What interface are you using?

Are you running POD Farm (or some other guitar software in parallel)? Because if you're not, you shouldn't be hearing anything until you switch on the little green speaker button on your audio track in the sequencer, at which point the raw guitar sounds will be piped through the line 6 amp.

If you're hearing your guitar when the speaker button is off, you're monitoring it through your hardware, not Reason.
Old 2012-09-27, 00:56
mcentanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXTX View Post
What interface are you using?

Are you running POD Farm (or some other guitar software in parallel)? Because if you're not, you shouldn't be hearing anything until you switch on the little green speaker button on your audio track in the sequencer, at which point the raw guitar sounds will be piped through the line 6 amp.

If you're hearing your guitar when the speaker button is off, you're monitoring it through your hardware, not Reason.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Motu Microbook II and it's been one headache after another with this thing. I'm not running any other guitar software in parallel but I turned off monitoring and I can still hear the raw guitar signal. So it looks like I'm monitoring it through hardware. Any ideas on how to change that? I think it might be time to move on to a different audio interface that doesn't require some unnecessarily long equation of steps to accomplish anything.
Old 2012-09-27, 01:13

That's actually a decent interface, and can be tweaked quite a bit. Just fire up the Motu control panel. On the right side, there's a knob for controlling the hardware monitoring level.

Old 2012-09-27, 03:09
mcentanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXTX View Post
That's actually a decent interface, and can be tweaked quite a bit. Just fire up the Motu control panel. On the right side, there's a knob for controlling the hardware monitoring level.

My version of Cuemix looks a little different than that but it's the same idea. I actually was able to get the effected guitar signal through the interface by changing the mixes. Not sure exactly why this worked but when I put the line in on mix 2 with the mains and headphones on mix 1, everything worked. I really don't quite understand why this worked.

I still only get the metronome through the main outs though which is kind of a bummer but I can live with that I guess. If I could only get iTunes to play through the headphone jack I'd be all set! Just seems like this could all be made really simple if there was an option in Cuemix to have all outputs mirror the mains.
Old 2012-09-27, 14:13
mikhelee

What my initial thought was, was to route each track through a Spyder splitter, then take the split signals and send them into 2 separate 14:2 mixers and then route each mixer to 2 of the outputs on my interface so that both my drummer and I can adjust our mixes separately via each 14:2 mixer. Is this even possible within Reason 6? Thanks a lot.