Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-28, 14:32

What kind of speakers do the listeners have?

Ok, I assume that many of us music makers have similliar sounding speakers that are flat. How about the listeners? I think they own 2.1 speakerset which heavily boost some of the ranges and are not that flat.

At least over my brother i have to radically compress my sound to make it sound balanced. So I think that I should buy a set of 2.1 to make sure they play back there as well - I couldn't make that happen via my Alesis M1 Mk 2.

More compression? It seems that YES.
Old 2012-09-28, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirnikas View Post
Ok, I assume that many of us music makers have similliar sounding speakers that are flat. How about the listeners? I think they own 2.1 speakerset which heavily boost some of the ranges and are not that flat.

At least over my brother i have to radically compress my sound to make it sound balanced. So I think that I should buy a set of 2.1 to make sure they play back there as well - I couldn't make that happen via my Alesis M1 Mk 2.

More compression? It seems that YES.
I don't know if more compression is the answer, but owning more than just some flat studio monitors to mix on is definitely a must. The trick is finding a balance where your mix sounds decent on most speakers. In regards to what most listeners own, that's impossible to answer. We could assume that most listeners are listening via crappy ear buds that come with an iPod or other popular media player. We can assume that most listeners are also using their mobile devices (tablets, latops, etc). And then of course there are those that use 2.1 speakers or even crappier desktop speakers...

And then there are those who will own a semi-decent boom box or compact stereo to listen on (though I'm pretty sure that's a dying breed - LOL)!

So many options, it's just better to mix on multiple sources.
Old 2012-09-28, 15:59

There is only one answer: shit speakers and earbuds. Shit compared to what you as a producer listen on, that is.

Unless you make music targeted at audiophiles.

The usual advice is to buy some shitty speakers yourself for referencing.
Old 2012-09-28, 17:00

I´m listening to a set of Cerwins powered by a 2x600 watts amp lol. These have dual 15¨ woofers each so i can get a pretty good reading on my bass on them I always make sure songs at least play decent on laptop speakers as a lot of people listen to some music on these.
Old 2012-09-28, 17:06

Just get a pair of 2.1 computer speakers, they are much closer to what most people hear than say.. NS-10s Most consumer stuff has a "loudness" curve, so bass and tops are accentuated. Also they got way worse impulse response so it generally is more "muddy".
Old 2012-09-28, 17:10

Last edited by omshanti20; 2013-05-10 at 14:12.
Old 2012-09-28, 17:49

I love my Mackie HR824's... best investment in my studio for a long time. Well worth the money, and yes of course you have to treat the room accordingly, or try RoomEQWizard to calibrate an EQ to your room.

Also acoustic panels, bass traps, corner Gobos, odd shaped room all help.

.... and you have to check your music on all sorts of platforms... DVD / bluray players thru TVs can be a good one for translation checks, in car, on crappy portable radio, Mp3 player with one main speaker etc...

and also keeping your levels lower than normal helps because when you waff up the system it's quite a jump
Old 2012-09-29, 05:44

Forget what speakers you have and definitely forget what the punters have. Who cares but trainspotters.

What you NEED to do is reference your speakers so that you know them well. Better yet learn what a good mix sounds like no matter what genre of music, listen to classic records as part of their classic-ness is in the engineering and mix. Listen to such quality records (or CDs) on your system and get to the point where you aren't hearing speakers but a performance.

There is no such thing as a flat audio system so toss out the fantasy that you have anything resembling one. Many of the greatest records were mixed on systems that you wouldn't be happy for your Mum to own (well maybe not quite but you get my point I hope).

Once you know what The Beatles, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan... records sounds, scratch that, feels like then produce, engineer and mix your records to sound the same. Take your record and then listen to it on your iPod and other stereos just like it was someone else's record. once it feels like that then you have done a decent job.

---

As a matter of interest I have never owned studio monitors, sure I have used NS-10s and Auratones but for myself I got decent stereo equipment and learned it. I once took mixes made on a Radio Shack amp plus lightweight home built dual-cones with piezzo tweeters (no crossover), housed in a built in wardrobe (I opened the doors a bit on each side to listen or monitor) and put them up on Genelec wall mounts and the mixes worked just fine.

I currently have a set of Jamo 803s powered by an NAD C 320BEE. I check on a Ymaha micro system attached to the TV and my phone using buds.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth
Old 2012-09-29, 10:20

Last edited by omshanti20; 2013-05-10 at 14:12.
Old 2012-09-30, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
Once you know what The Beatles, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan...
Music made 50 years ago is hardly the best reference for someone producing in 2012.