Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-09-29, 13:50

pink noise

Hi everybody, I'm looking to calibrate my monitor speakers - should have done it a long time ago! Anyway, I need to make pink noise at 3db/oct. I may be being dense but thor's low pass filter goes down to 6db/oct. What is the best way to generate pure pink noise in reason?

thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/snakeofjune

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-09-29, 14:22

There's a pink noise waveform in the Malstrom oscillator section (FX: PinkNoise). Don't know how accurate it is, but it looks about right on the spectrum analyzer of the vocoder.

Also, if you select "COLOR" in Thor's noise oscillator, you can generate colored noise, although the manual says little about it. When the knob is all the way to the right, it's producing white noise, all the way to the left brown noise (I'm guessing here), so pink should be somewhere in between.

It's best you check it against a proper spectrum analyzer or oscilloscope.
Old 2012-09-29, 14:48

thanks - i'd checked out the fx on malestrom and it sounded filtered to me but i'm probably wrong. I'll use that. I didn't realise that you could dial in different colours of noise straight through the noise osc so i'll check that out. thanks again for to taking the time to reply

edit: just checking the documentation on the colour dial on the noise osc and you're right - hardly says anything. Surprised they don't give a quick chart for the positions against colours. oh well...

https://soundcloud.com/snakeofjune

Loading SoundCloud…

Last edited by snakeofjune; 2012-09-29 at 14:55.
Old 2012-09-30, 05:27

Have you tried Googling for Reference Tones?

Chances are someone else has already done the work for you. There are some paid ones but I bet there are a few from interested amateurs.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth
Old 2012-09-30, 13:52

There's a pretty lengthy explanation of Thor's noise oscillator in the Substance > Discovering Reason section of the site, along with detailed information about the rest of the oscillators and the other parts of Thor, and some other devices too.
Old 2012-09-30, 18:04

Malstrom's Pink Noise is much more accurate than Thor's Noise Oscillator (Color = 64), which has a significant 'hump' in the mid frequencies compared to true Pink Noise.

To test this, I compared a sample of true Pink Noise off a test file to both Thor and Malstrom using a spectrum analyzer, btw.
USA