Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-05, 05:14

Dr.OctoRex: more than 92 slices

Hello everone,

I forwarded this suggestion from my other post

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=168202

Some sample libraries have e.g. drum loops in REX2-format with more than 92 slices. This files are not working with Dr.OctoRex due the limitation of max. 92 slices. - Audio editors (and perhaps some other software synths like Stylus RMX) are able to work with these REX files (with more than 92 slices).

Best regards

Robert!
Old 2012-10-05, 08:59

I agree Robert.
I often got an error in Dr.Octorex because it had more than 92 slices.
Is there a reason for this limit??? :S
Old 2012-10-05, 12:37

All software has limits. Few things can grow without reaching a fixed limit. I wouldn't be very surprised to discover there is a limit for the total number of cables on the back. Or the total number of Subtractors on the rack. But I would expect those limits (if existed) to be very high: say 4 billion cables, 65 thousand Subtractors. Normally we don't bump on software limits cause they are high, altough they tend to exist.

What I wouldn't expect would be for the next version of Reason to only support 65000 cables or only 256 Subtractors (following the imagined example). Cause that would put someone who had created before a 257 Subtractor song in trouble. Reason is supposed to be backward compatible (and many other softwares are supposed too, although sometimes some break the backward compatibility).

This is a similar situation (although involving 2 different pieces of software, but one produces what the other consumes: Reason cannot produce his own recycled files), and to make it worst, the limit is kind of low.

If Recycle was limited to 92 slices from the beginning, there would be no issue. If Reason 7 started being able to produce rexfiles, but limited to 92 slices, I would think it was acceptable, although cumbersome. But as it is, I believe this should be fixed ASAP.

Best solution would be for Octorex to support the same number of slices that Recycle can produce/save.

2nd best would be for the limit, even if inferior, to be much higher than this.

Sigmuntowski, do you have a Reason version with DrRex? I wonder if DrRex has this limit or not.
Old 2012-10-05, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocaetanos View Post
I wonder if DrRex has this limit or not.
Dr Mono Rex (RIP!) was similarly restricted.
Old 2012-10-05, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsh View Post
Dr Mono Rex (RIP!) was similarly restricted.
Freshtone Samples (who released the loop pack mentioned in the other thread) should have been more careful then. Even so, I think Props should do something about this limitation.
Old 2012-10-05, 20:09

Honestly, the people who make the refill should know the software enough to know not slice the audio more than 92 times. I don't think Propellerheads needs to address this. As a matter of fact, they even give you a tool to fix it: Recycle. Anybody who has recycle can just delete the extra slices from the file.
Old 2012-10-05, 23:00

Quote:
Freshtone Samples (who released the loop pack mentioned in the other thread) should have been more careful then. Even so, I think Props should do something about this limitation.
I want to know which program they used to make the REX files. If they did it with ReCycle, I wonder why ReCycle allows more than these 92 slices.
Old 2012-10-05, 22:52

Quote:
Sigmuntowski, do you have a Reason version with DrRex? I wonder if DrRex has this limit or not.
I have Reason 6.5 with Dr.OctoRex. Dr.OctoRex give me an error message while trying to load one of these REX2 files from Freshtone Samples; the error message sais that it cannot load it because of more than 92 slices. So Dr.OctoRex must have this limitation.
Old 2012-10-05, 11:54

have you tried loading them in an NN-XT? I noticed you can load rex patches with it and even use it like a Rex Loop. I think there's no internal limit on how many samples the NN-XT can handle, so maybe that works?
cheers
f