Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-05, 16:40

mixing down in Reason

silly question.. is there a difference in mixing down in Reason via exporting tracks, versus creating a audio channel and sending the mix channel? Is there a better practice if I already have compression etc going?
Old 2012-10-05, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by waderck View Post
silly question.. is there a difference in mixing down in Reason via exporting tracks, versus creating a audio channel and sending the mix channel? Is there a better practice if I already have compression etc going?
Not sure I understand the question, for example: How do you "mix down in Reason via exporting tracks?".

And why create an audio channel if you already have a mix channel (not saying it's a bad idea, just asking for further clarification to your workflow to understand how to answer)?

To take a guess here, I don't do either; I just mix as the the tracks play - some tracks/channels are audio, some are instrument. No need to export to audio before mixing, but you certainly can do it if you like (if I was doing that I'd export tracks as 'raw' as possible and do all EQ/Comp during mix - settings can be copied to make things easier).

If none of my response made sense, maybe you could give a specific example (and I'll try to give a more coherent answer!)? :-)
USA
Old 2012-10-05, 16:55

I usually mix as the tracks play as well(instruments, audio tracks, etc), didn't know if there was a more proper/sonically superior way. I have been exporting as an audio file/wav. Just didn't know if creating a final mix channel from the master is the way to go instead.. Didn't see any difference.