Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-10, 05:56

I still don't get the ZVORK VOLT CB-1

Can somebody shed some light on this RE because after watching the video and using the demo, I still can't figure out the power behind this device, if it has any.
Old 2012-10-10, 07:22

Put simply, it combines CV signals in different ways. Any non-audio cable can patch into this device.

For example, you could put two different LFOs into its inputs and then output a CV wave that would be some sort of blend of the two LFOs - by averaging the values of the two inputs, or subtracting one from the other, or some other method of combining them. You could also do this with other CV sources, for instance, the Gate and Note CVs that come out of a Matrix.

So just as a theoretical idea, you could feed a Matrix' Note CV into one side, and one of the Sample/Hold LFOs from a Subtractor or Polar into the other side, and what would come out would be the notes from the Matrix moved up or down according to the LFO values and whichever combination method was selected. You send that to some synth's CV input, and get a constantly varying sequence of notes.

Old 2012-10-10, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by platzangst View Post
Put simply, it combines CV signals in different ways. Any non-audio cable can patch into this device.

For example, you could put two different LFOs into its inputs and then output a CV wave that would be some sort of blend of the two LFOs - by averaging the values of the two inputs, or subtracting one from the other, or some other method of combining them. You could also do this with other CV sources, for instance, the Gate and Note CVs that come out of a Matrix.

So just as a theoretical idea, you could feed a Matrix' Note CV into one side, and one of the Sample/Hold LFOs from a Subtractor or Polar into the other side, and what would come out would be the notes from the Matrix moved up or down according to the LFO values and whichever combination method was selected. You send that to some synth's CV input, and get a constantly varying sequence of notes.
Cool bro! Sounds interesting. Im going to go play with it. Hopefully I can use it in a context of a song.
Old 2012-10-10, 20:49

For me, this is the most useful utility module so far.

It would be nice if the dev had more practical use case examples in the manual but the meters give you enough feedback to figure out what is going on while experimenting.

My suggestion would be to route Thor's Rotaries out of Thor's CV outputs and into Inputs A and B on CB-1. This way you can make adjustments to the rotaries and watch the effect it has on the meters. Once you feel like you understand what is happening in that situation, replace one of the Rotaries with an LFO and then watch the effect that moving the other rotary has on the LFO.

As mentioned in the User forum thread, here are some of my favorite uses for CB-1...
- In Subtract mode can also be used to sum (add) two signals by setting one of the input multipliers to -1.
- Multiply mode can be used as a VCA when at least one of the incoming signals is unipolar.
- Mulitply works as a balanced modulator (ringmod) when you send two bi polar signals.
- When used in Maximum mode, you can compare two gate signals with OR logic. Here is a truth table to describe what I mean.
T=True or gate high, F=False or gate low
1T+2T=T
1F+2T=T
1T+2F=T
1F+2F=F
- When used in Minimum mode, you can compare two gate signals with AND logic.
1T+2T=T
1F+2T=F
1T+2F=F
1F+2F=F
I like to use this mode to compare the gate output from Probability Drum Trigger with the Gate output of a Matrix sequencer. You can use the probability steps on PDT2 to determine the likelihood of the Matrix gate being passed through.

Last edited by justin3am; 2012-10-10 at 22:45.
Old 2012-10-11, 00:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin3am View Post
For me, this is the most useful utility module so far.

It would be nice if the dev had more practical use case examples in the manual but the meters give you enough feedback to figure out what is going on while experimenting.

My suggestion would be to route Thor's Rotaries out of Thor's CV outputs and into Inputs A and B on CB-1. This way you can make adjustments to the rotaries and watch the effect it has on the meters. Once you feel like you understand what is happening in that situation, replace one of the Rotaries with an LFO and then watch the effect that moving the other rotary has on the LFO.

As mentioned in the User forum thread, here are some of my favorite uses for CB-1...
- In Subtract mode can also be used to sum (add) two signals by setting one of the input multipliers to -1.
- Multiply mode can be used as a VCA when at least one of the incoming signals is unipolar.
- Mulitply works as a balanced modulator (ringmod) when you send two bi polar signals.
- When used in Maximum mode, you can compare two gate signals with OR logic. Here is a truth table to describe what I mean.
T=True or gate high, F=False or gate low
1T+2T=T
1F+2T=T
1T+2F=T
1F+2F=F
- When used in Minimum mode, you can compare two gate signals with AND logic.
1T+2T=T
1F+2T=F
1T+2F=F
1F+2F=F
I like to use this mode to compare the gate output from Probability Drum Trigger with the Gate output of a Matrix sequencer. You can use the probability steps on PDT2 to determine the likelihood of the Matrix gate being passed through.
Ok bro. Little over my head at this point but im going to play with it right now and see what can it do.
Old 2012-10-11, 20:20

We need a CV changer that allows you to change the voltage speed. for example, your could set it up so it runs at 3/16 for a bar, then 1/8 for a hafe bar and then 1/16 for the rest of the loop.
Hope that makes sense
Old 2012-10-12, 19:56

Here's a new tutorial that might give you a more specific example of what you can do with a Volt CB-1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDlLAIioq9I

Hope it sheds some light.
Old 2012-10-12, 22:24

Cool! That constant trick is awesome!
Old 2012-10-13, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvork View Post
Here's a new tutorial that might give you a more specific example of what you can do with a Volt CB-1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDlLAIioq9I

Hope it sheds some light.
Thanks that's a cool trick!
Old 2012-10-13, 12:53

Nice video tutorials Zvork!