Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-11, 00:58

Question How to fix muffled sound in Reason 6?

Waddup Everybody,how can I fix the muffled sound in Reason 6?Am I boosting the lows too much,or low mids,high mids,or not enough high end?I have been trying to get clarity for my mixes.But I need you guys help to fix this problem.What I'm trying to achieve is too have my mix to be warm,resonant,with clarity and punch for my Instruments.When you listen to some good Drums that are processed and loud.It tickles your ears.Because they are knocking while having a loud enough Mix without clipping.How do u get your Mix to be loud without clipping at?is it compression,eq or using a Scream 4?Because the Scream 4 seems to make my Mixes whether it be Drums,Instruments,etc.It sounds good but not enough for whole Mix.Leaving some frequencies not cutting through or Eq'd right.Do I need a bp filter,lp filter or hp filter?Or do I need a linear phase EQ?And I listen to certain People's Mixes and it seems like they have Air in They're tracks.Like the track has no hiss or muffled sound to it.If ya know what I mean.My 808 Snares and Kick samples are not cutting through My Mix like I need them to cut through.My Drums sound thin and They don't hit hard enough.Basically My Mix is dull how do I fix this problem?How do I get my mix from the instruments to the drums to sound like this?At FatLoud's Producers at the FatBeatShop.Below

Below

www.fatbeatshop.com

Last edited by beatsknocking; 2012-10-11 at 01:18.
Old 2012-10-11, 01:24

First off, learning how to mix is the answer to your problems. Muffled sound can come from anything. It could mean that your not playing in the instrument's proper register, you need to tweak the synths parameters like the frequency cut of filter to let some of the highs through, you have to many instruments playing in the same frequency spectrum with no separation and etc. You need to know where the muddiness lies in the frequency spectrum so maybe you can eq it out. If you want clarity, eq has to become your best friend. The proper use of eq will give you the clarity that you are looking for. You want to fix thin sounding drums? Layer them up. But make sure you are not just throwing random drums together. That wont fatten up your drums at all. If fact, it will make them sound worse. Make sure the drums that you are layering have a purpose. For example, if you have a kick with a lot of low end with no attack, layer it something with less low end with more attack. It can be another kick drum or any other drums. Again, eq will be your best friend in this situation as well. Separation really is key. If your drums aren't cutting through the mix, well that could mean that your drums don't have enough attack on them. Learn mixing techniques that will give your drums the attack and presences that it needs to cut through the mix. Watch some of James Bernard 52 week tips tutorials on youtube. That will help you out a lot. Also there are numbers of Propellerhead Reason tutorials that will help you out with your problems. Do a search on youtube. Make sure you have a youtube account to utilize some of their feature like saving videos and making playlist. You will find lots of great stuff. This is the time where you gone have to spend a lot of your time studying and taking notes if you want the best quality possible. Trust me, it takes time and practice but in due time, you will acquire enough skills to help yourself and others. Hope this message helped.
Old 2012-10-11, 01:26

try using your hpf ( high pass filters ) use this on all sounds accept kick and bass .

don`t over do it and thin out the sounds to much . 200 hz - 300hz is where the mud leaves in a sound , cut at this frequency to get rid of mud , just enough to allow the sounds to come through .

hope this helps
Old 2012-10-11, 01:39

Can I use a Low Pass Filter on My Kicks and Bassline?What would be a good Mastering patch to use?Or use no Mastering patch like,or not using a 14:2 Mixer.Just Mix channels for every Midi Instrument U R using.And I heard somebody say don't use Limiters because it distorts the Audio.Is that true or false?
Old 2012-10-11, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsknocking View Post
.And I heard somebody say don't use Limiters because it distorts the Audio.Is that true or false?
If used correctly, very false.
Old 2012-10-11, 02:36

Quote:
Can I use a Low Pass Filter on My Kicks and Bassline?What would be a good Mastering patch to use?Or use no Mastering patch like,or not using a 14:2 Mixer.Just Mix channels for every Midi Instrument U R using.And I heard somebody say don't use Limiters because it distorts the Audio.Is that true or false?
Master after u mix. It can work against u while mixing.

It depends whether u should low pass or not.

I low pass more if I want a darker muffled bass (which works great in some mixes) or if I got a busy mix and I don't want the kick messing with my highs.

In many cases u might want highs in your kicks for punch. Highs can help kicks cut through on weaker systems.
Old 2012-10-11, 13:36

Quote:
yes you can use a low pass filter on kicks and bass

focus on the mix more than mastering right , trust me on this one

if you over use any tools in your music , you can destroy the track .

let your track tell you what it needs , if something sounds to high , turn it down

if it sounds dull , try and brighten it

if it sounds out of control , get it under control

My advice to you and any person starting out , is to take time and learn your craft , how to use the tools effectively and correctly .

example : what is a

hammer used for
screwdriver used for
tape measure used for
a saw used for

if you wanted to measure a piece of wood , what is the best tool to use for that job ?

and do you know how to use that tool to get the best results .

sorry for going on .

hope this helps

Last edited by Djstarski; 2012-10-11 at 21:49.
Old 2012-10-11, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstarski View Post
if out sounds out of control , get it under control
that's how it looks (sounds)

the best option is,

turn all faders down,
turn off all the mastering plugins behind the SSL mixer
turn off all EQ and Dynamics in the mixer ..
turn off all FX units in the rack ..

and then start with a simple level adjustment!

I always start with the kickdrum and bassline xD

and make a backup before you do that!!!!
Old 2012-10-11, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish View Post
that's how it looks (sounds)

the best option is,

turn all faders down,
turn off all the mastering plugins behind the SSL mixer
turn off all EQ and Dynamics in the mixer ..
turn off all FX units in the rack ..

and then start with a simple level adjustment!

I always start with the kickdrum and bassline xD

and make a backup before you do that!!!!
how the person controls the sound is there choice , i find to many suggestions can confuse some people .

thats why i say learn your tools first .

Last edited by Djstarski; 2012-10-11 at 21:58.
Old 2012-10-11, 19:25

Learn how to sidechain to get that big pumping sound and get some good monitors so your actually hearing the sound your making and dont use headphones.

Make room for drums with sidechaining and dont have a million and one sounds in your sequencer and expect it to sound good, because it wont unless you know what your doing.

Do a sound engineering course if your really seriouse.