Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

View Poll Results: Do you want compressed audio import/export on Reason?
I wan't MP3 export 16 33.33%
I wan't MP3 import 3 6.25%
I wan't FLAC export 2 4.17%
I wan't FLAC import 0 0%
I wan't the Full Monty: all the above, and more 16 33.33%
No! Compression defiles Reason 11 22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2012-10-18, 23:38
pedrocaetanos's Avatar
pedrocaetanos pedrocaetanos is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,327
Export as MP3

I'm sure this has requested before... several times probably

But has anyone suggested using the LAME libray?
http://lame.sourceforge.net/license.txt
Although I doubt that Props are totally unaware of its existence...

Anyway, with this, that feature could be added with no additional costs... unless there's that patent issue in some countries...

It would be handy to have an export as MP3, it would save the trouble of having to encode with an additional software.

Last edited by pedrocaetanos; 2012-10-19 at 00:39.
  #2  
Old 2012-10-19, 00:15
pushedbutton's Avatar
pushedbutton pushedbutton is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,579
a pdf song? It's a novel idea but I don't think it would catch on.
mp3 is a crappy format for making sounds portable, it is a lossy format. If I was in the position of the props I would seriously consider how sounds coming out of their software would be perceived by its audience. The lame library is pretty common knowledge and there is a multitude of free transcoders out there.
Personally I think it's more important to keep the audiophiles happy and let people figure out their own solution to creating mp3. I think condition 3 may be enough to put them off considering using lame, but I'm not staff.
http://lame.sourceforge.net/license.txt
__________________
Loading SoundCloud…
This Is My Song
@pushedbutton on twitter
I live in Lancashire, England.
  #3  
Old 2012-10-19, 00:55
pedrocaetanos's Avatar
pedrocaetanos pedrocaetanos is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushedbutton View Post
a pdf song? It's a novel idea but I don't think it would catch on.
LOL, corrected! who knows, maybe it can start a trend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushedbutton View Post
mp3 is a crappy format for making sounds portable, it is a lossy format. If I was in the position of the props I would seriously consider how sounds coming out of their software would be perceived by its audience. The lame library is pretty common knowledge and there is a multitude of free transcoders out there.
Personally I think it's more important to keep the audiophiles happy and let people figure out their own solution to creating mp3. I think condition 3 may be enough to put them off considering using lame, but I'm not staff.
I'm an audiophile myself, and I'm quite picky with sound quality.
If you tell me you can tell between the original and a 320 mbps encoding, without using a 50,000$ system, I'd say you're not into blind tests... but let's not get into that old war (and remember audiophiles hated CDs in the beginning - they had truly terrible sound, both media and players, but nowadays, CD rivals vinyl, as long as the player is on the same price range - things evolve, and there's no point fighting the progress).

Hardly any audiophile would complain with the LAME library - it's widely considered one of the best (if not the best) and better than Fraunhofer's.

If the Props don't give the option of encoding on too low rates, and the default is the highest rate, I think there will be no complaints about sound quality.

People will encode anyway, so why not make it easier?

What is condition 3 anyway?
  #4  
Old 2012-10-19, 01:54
pushedbutton's Avatar
pushedbutton pushedbutton is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,579
You couldn't be arsed to click the link I supplied?
__________________
Loading SoundCloud…
This Is My Song
@pushedbutton on twitter
I live in Lancashire, England.
  #5  
Old 2012-10-19, 08:34
pedrocaetanos's Avatar
pedrocaetanos pedrocaetanos is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushedbutton View Post
You couldn't be arsed to click the link I supplied?
You couldn't be arsed to see that I originally provided that same link? That's an idea, posting links without reading the content... Just didn't realized that's what you were referring, specially cause it isn't an issue: in the unlikely event that props needed to change the lib, they had to give those changes to community, but still it's apart from Reason.

There's much more concern about the patent status of MP3 on some countries.
  #6  
Old 2012-10-23, 17:55
ethday's Avatar
ethday ethday is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocaetanos View Post
You couldn't be arsed to see that I originally provided that same link? That's an idea, posting links without reading the content...
That's pretty funny.
  #7  
Old 2013-02-03, 14:31
dabada79 dabada79 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
That would also mean to remove the JPEG support from Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Gimp etc. (just to name some examples) which in my eyes wouuld be ridiculous.

Sure, MP3 as well as JPEG are compressed and lossy, but as they are de facto standards for the presentation of sound and photos on the web and there are no relieable alternatives there is no reason to deny them.
__________________
Loading SoundCloud…

| Reason 6.5 | RME Hammerfall 9632/52 | Behringer ADA8000 | Behringer HA4700 | Behringer BCF2000 | ESI KeyControl 25 XT |
  #8  
Old 2013-02-03, 14:58
BoddAH's Avatar
BoddAH BoddAH is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 312
I don't mind using Audacity with the LAME libraries for my file format conversion tasks and even some raw material editing but that's just me.
  #9  
Old 2013-02-03, 18:41
LeopoldStotch's Avatar
LeopoldStotch LeopoldStotch is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,172
I don't want to pay extra for MP3 licensing fees (they still exist, no matter if you say it's "unclear" or not) when I can do a quick conversion or even batch conversions with audacity.

The amount of money Propellerhead would need to pay for MP3 licensing each year would likely cover the salaries of at least one or two developers. I'd rather have more people on staff improving reason and adding new features than have them throw away money adding something in that can already be done another way.
  #10  
Old 2012-10-19, 00:34
jlgrimes jlgrimes is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocaetanos View Post
I'm sure this has requested before... several times probably

But has anyone suggested using the LAME libray?
http://lame.sourceforge.net/license.txt
Although I doubt that Props are totally unaware of its existence...

Anyway, with this, that feature could be added with no additional costs... unless there's that patent issue in some countries...

It would be handy to have an export as pdf, it would save the trouble of having to encode with an additional software.
I would like mp3 support in Reason as well.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Default to Export as WAV on Mac? adamatic Phead User Forum (read only) 0 2012-05-11 13:08
Export Click Track [Reason 5] vomitgod Phead User Forum (read only) 6 2011-01-20 20:19
track wont Export... Auron General Forum (read only) 9 2010-08-04 06:10
Multi-track Export blkrbt General Forum (read only) 6 2008-07-26 01:19
Whould it be too much to ask nes1 General Forum (read only) 4 2002-08-15 16:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:38.