Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-19, 11:12

Question What does everyone consider a forum troll to be?

What does everyone consider a forum troll to be? This is the only forum I'm really a part of and every now and then I read about people taking about trolls or calling people trolls. What exactly is a troll? I'm not to familiar with what that means. Could you guys enlighten me?
Old 2012-10-19, 11:25

A Troll is a Freak..

someone like me
Old 2012-10-19, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish View Post
A Troll is a Freak..

someone like me
Not exactly the answer I was looking for, to vague.
Old 2012-10-19, 11:33

A troll is someone that posts facts that other people just don't want to hear. A troll will often try to get a rise out of forum members by having more reasoned arguments and by showing more humility.

Anyone who disagrees with me is clearing trollin'.
Old 2012-10-19, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
What does everyone consider a forum troll to be? This is the only forum I'm really a part of and every now and then I read about people taking about trolls or calling people trolls. What exactly is a troll? I'm not to familiar with what that means. Could you guys enlighten me?
Well I think in the end it comes down to your decision.
Generally a troll is someone who writes stuff that offends you one way or the other.
So all those people on my Ignore list, I've considered trolls at some point. But I don't know other people might put me on their ignore list, because I said something that offended them.
So basically if you read something on the forum and find yourself wanting to ignore a forum member to death, you're most likely talking about a troll.
cheers
trollhoven
Old 2012-10-19, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMOMs View Post
Well I think in the end it comes down to your decision.
Generally a troll is someone who writes stuff that offends you one way or the other.
So all those people on my Ignore list, I've considered trolls at some point. But I don't know other people might put me on their ignore list, because I said something that offended them.
So basically if you read something on the forum and find yourself wanting to ignore a forum member to death, you're most likely talking about a troll.
cheers
trollhoven

I always considered trolls to be people that intentionally wrote things in a way to intentionally wind people up and get a reaction. Someone holding views you disagree with isn't a troll IMO, some people just have silly views and express themselves in a ridiculous manner.
Old 2012-10-19, 12:22

Quote:
Wikipedia is very good for such questions...

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max (for Live) and Reason 6.5.
Spam: SynthFan.info

Old 2012-10-19, 13:06

Smile

troll/trōl/

Noun:
  • A mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance.
  • A dumbass who makes idiotic posts in message boards newsgroups for the sole purpose of pissing people off, often lacking in intelligence.

https://soundcloud.com/last-alternative
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by LastAlternative; 2012-10-19 at 13:09.
Old 2012-10-19, 14:05

A troll is a person who manipulates or instigates a group of people into fighting amongst themselves.
Old 2012-10-19, 14:56

Quote:
I usually consider a troll a person who makes a post just to start a forum argument. The statement is usually a very strong opinion stated as fact and contains actually very few facts. Trolls are usually outsiders or people who don't post often. Their intention is to see chaos. They often care very little about the forum or even the topic they are posting.

I think though there are differences between trolls, bullies, and an upset user who has a valid criticism.

An example of a trolling statement would be, me making a post stating,

"Reason is just so crappy. It doesn't sound right. That is why I am moving to "other" DAW, a REAL DAW.

Some trolling statements are more subtle and will try to sneak in a few facts to throw people off. Obvious trolls usually get either harshly ridiculed or ignored, but more subtle ones gets people on their side (or on two different sides) and start a war.

In the end though it can be hard to tell who is really trolling or not. Only the poster's true intentions determines. Sometimes it is just an angry customer and sometimes it is because someone's english skills might not be the best and it is hard to form a understandable message so you can sense the harshness but don't really understand the Reasons.

Usually though if someone is a suspected troll, it is usually best to just ignore the person or calmly question the person. Any arguing back usually just serves the troll's intentional purpose.