Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-20, 10:53

Smile SSL vs. Mixer 14:2

HeyooOOoO Evryone!,

Im just wondering if anyone has listened to tracks they did before using just the old Mixer 14:2 and compared its bang for buck against the SSL Mixer?

I find that i got my tracks nice and hard and bumpy with ease with the Mixer 14:2 than i do with the SSL. Not saying i cant get it nice and good with the SSL but..it does tend to clip and distort far quicker it would with the Mixer 14:2.

Could it be that it would be actually better to record Reason instruments connected to the Mixer 14:2 and Live instruments with the SSL? and if so, would it be possible to have an easy way to always have racks connected to the mixer 14:2 when its created?

Or.

Should we just stick to plastering everything on the SSL Mixer bringing up another question as to..if thats the case, why is the Mixer 14:2 still there cos i for 1, dont use it any more...i simple use the Line Mixer for sub mixes and i can combine that with the audio splitter thats plenty for me..

So..umm..yea|

Discuss!! in 3...2...1.. *BANG*

"Life is like a Rhythm; Flow with it and you'll be Fine" - Sid Mercutio 1979 - ?

Last edited by SidMercutio; 2012-10-20 at 10:54. Reason: typos
Old 2012-10-20, 14:51

I find it to be the other way around. The old mixer doesn't have a HPF or LPF which really helps me to make room for each sound. How would the ssl mixer cause it to clip sooner? Plus the ssl has a way better eq than the freq set high and low eq in the old mixer. How about the stereo width knob?I think you just gotta up your mixing skills maybe.
Old 2012-10-20, 15:34

hhmm i find SSL much more delicate , and seems to have a less harsh sound compared to the old mixer, this said i still use the old mixer for combi patches eg mixing multiple synths and routing the redrum to single channels, (old habits die hard) but the SSL is in my book far superior in the actual sound quality department this is my opinion at least
Old 2012-10-20, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSidious View Post
HeyooOOoO Evryone!,

Im just wondering if anyone has listened to tracks they did before using just the old Mixer 14:2 and compared its bang for buck against the SSL Mixer?

I find that i got my tracks nice and hard and bumpy with ease with the Mixer 14:2 than i do with the SSL. Not saying i cant get it nice and good with the SSL but..it does tend to clip and distort far quicker it would with the Mixer 14:2.

Could it be that it would be actually better to record Reason instruments connected to the Mixer 14:2 and Live instruments with the SSL? and if so, would it be possible to have an easy way to always have racks connected to the mixer 14:2 when its created?

Or.

Should we just stick to plastering everything on the SSL Mixer bringing up another question as to..if thats the case, why is the Mixer 14:2 still there cos i for 1, dont use it any more...i simple use the Line Mixer for sub mixes and i can combine that with the audio splitter thats plenty for me..

So..umm..yea|

Discuss!! in 3...2...1.. *BANG*
A lot of times lower fidelity isn't always a bad thing.

Sometimes things can be too clean.

It is good we still have the old options if we ever want to go "retro".

The old mixer probably also forced you to pick better sounds as well when composing since their we're less options to tweak.
Old 2012-10-20, 16:19

The 14:2 is very limited. The SSL is, first of all, world renowned, and very musical. Also has the gain knob, invert, smooth compressor, send fx, stereo width, etc. And the famous SSL buss compressor!!! MAJOR upgrade from that old thing. I don't use the 14:2 anymore.
It does take some getting used to with the SSL. For example, when you EQ, cuts take out a lot of volume. Even small cuts so I pretty much do my surgery as an Mclass EQ insert, to clean up/remove harshness. And then use the SSL EQ for more wider cuts and boosts. The HP/LP filters are amazing! That's half the battle of shaping a sound! It will only get better.
The hardest part to get used to for me w/ the SSL is using your ears more to EQ. Very important though. Lots of people rely on the visual. Close your eyes when you turn knobs. Listen! Because in the end other people don't hear what equipment you used. They hear music. Good or bad is on you.

https://soundcloud.com/last-alternative
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com/
Old 2012-10-20, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSidious View Post
I'd first point out that either mixer can't clip or distort - only the output can clip. So something else is happening here IMO.

Both mixers pass audio perfectly, and both mixers pass audio at unity gain (no cut or boost) when the faders are at the default position. Both mixers will therefore sound exactly the same at their default settings (before adding any EQ etc).

I would imagine it's the EQ/Dynamics or Master Compressor (if used) that are causing any differences here, since these are the only places where there are drastic differences between the two mixers.

I MUCH prefer the SSL mixer myself, but I'm totally biased as it's the primary mixer I've used since 1984! :-)
USA
Old 2012-10-20, 18:33

The new mixer is amazing, such a great improvement and a really useful tool.
Synth Rock