Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-23, 08:55

HiDPi (Retina Display) Support

Reason is a gorgeous program.
It would be awesome to see a version that takes advantage of these gorgeous new displays such as the one on the MacBook Pro Retina and the upcoming Samsung and Apple 13" models.
It's a bit jarring going from these razor sharp looking GUIs into Reason now - almost like the difference between HD and SD.
I'm sure this has to be something that's under way, or at least being considered at this point.
It's still perfectly usable, but just something to consider!
Keep up the excellent work.
Old 2012-10-23, 09:35

One of the common suggestion has been to make all the graphics scalable vector graphics (SVG) images to help those with less than stellar vision, which would cover this idea.

+1
Old 2012-10-23, 10:14

True - I'm not sure what all that entails (I'm only just now getting started with coding myself, and I'm not certain how Reason is coded.) but in C++ that's just a matter of asset management - I.E. a lot of work for the GUI/Art team, but very little on the coding side. It's all appearance. Added functionality would be great (Such as being able to see more channels on the mixer at smaller sizes.) but that's a different story.
Old 2013-02-28, 01:16

Actually this is nt easy and there is a lot of coding involved. Coding graphics is all about optimization if you want the user experience to feel fluid. To date, the fastest and most efficient way of doing this is through the manipulation of Raster based assets (e.g. Bitmaps, jpegs, etc). When dealing with Raster components, the underline graphics mechanisms that power the visuals of the application can blit at a much faster rate on the screen then a non-raster alternative.

USING SVG IS AN INCREDIBLY BAD IDEA.

Why? Because with any vector based graphics, there is a LOT of processing happening in the application. In essence you are adding an additional composting layer that will take the drawing instructions in a vector object, render it then composite it using the host OS's drawing routines. This is just to heavy and should be avoided at ALL cost.

This is one thing propellerheads has done really well, and that is graphics programming. Specially considering the myriad of real time devices you can have all flashing with their respective LEDs and meters without suffering any significant performance drawbacks (this includes scrolling during playback as well).

The solution is two tiered...

1. Assets need to be regenerated at a higher DPI.

2. Code needs to be written to take advantage of that, which includes new scaling and sizing rules and the conditions that govern when these rules are to be put into play.

In short it is easier said than done and in the grand scheme of things this should be relegated to a very VERY low priority. As a mac user I have to be honest and stipulate that the amount of work involved does not warrant supporting a very VERY small fraction of the market at this giving point in time.
Old 2013-02-28, 02:05

Scalable vector graphics. Yucky-poo.

Ye Olde FishCAM
Old 2013-02-28, 05:20

SVG, or other vector formats, are great for making graphics. but realtime rendering, that is a bad idea! I use vectors all the time for art, but when my pieces get very complex it slows down the whole UI significantly. Now add audio rendering on top of that, no thanks.

with my band:
Loading SoundCloud…