Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-23, 15:56

Red face Sudden Influx of Rack Extensions Makers!!

Heya All!,

Has anyone noticed random companies with no history suddenly come out of nowhere and BAM new RE. I mean you go to their website and their only product is.... a RE.

Im all for the positive sides that this brings but ...naturally..with me..i dont always tend to go with an unproven companies product..

So...here my question..

What are your thoughts on it?

Does it Bother you?

Would you rather more reputable companies made RE's?

Do you think the unknown should have a FREEBIE in order to gain peoples trust in their abilities and products before putting out a try or buy one?

Discuss ^_^

"Life is like a Rhythm; Flow with it and you'll be Fine" - Sid Mercutio 1979 - ?
Old 2012-10-23, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSidious View Post
Do you think the unknown should have a FREEBIE in order to gain peoples trust in their abilities and products before putting out a try or buy one?

Discuss ^_^
Well...that's what Refill creators have to do isn't it?

I'm not against fledgling upstarts...I often root for the underdog and if someone understands coding and sdk then, they are just as "qualified" as the next guy.

Think of this way: What was the most buggy RE so far upon its release?
Something from a "reputable" developer no doubt.
Old 2012-10-23, 16:09

Quote:
Heya All!,

Has anyone noticed random companies with no history suddenly come out of nowhere and BAM new RE. I mean you go to their website and their only product is.... a RE.

Im all for the positive sides that this brings but ...naturally..with me..i dont always tend to go with an unproven companies product..

So...here my question..

Does it Bother you?

Discuss ^_^
I would not prefer only reputable companies to be making REs or anything else for that matter. Every successful company was unproven at some point. It doesn't not bother me at I as I am not forced to buy their products, I have 30 days to try etc. Each of them deserves a chance, who knows an unproven company may create one of the most groundbreaking RE known to man.

I hope to see a whole lot more from the unknowns.
Old 2012-10-23, 16:26

Does not matter.
as long as you can still use the RE in 10 years.
It works and is in the shop available.
It does not matter if the company that programmed it, is no longer alive in 5 years.
You'll still be able to use.

And if it sounds good, it does not matter who programmed them..
Old 2012-10-23, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish View Post
Does not matter.
It does not matter if the company that programmed it, is no longer alive in 5 years.

Totally agree - look at the hardware OSCar synth.... they only made a few (couple of hundred I think) and they were rated quite well indeed by some well known artists...

same sort of thing applies really - if developers are given the tools to create and good comes out of it, support is available and everyone is happy then all is well. I won't be going anywhere in a hurry

1's and 0's at the end of the day.... just how they are formed in those RE boxes is another thing though....

ReQ·131 in the RE Store:
http://shop.propellerheads.se/produc...31-31-band-eq/

Lab:One Recordings (C) 2011-2012
http://www.lab-one-recordings.co.uk
Old 2012-10-23, 17:24

In the plug-in world, little developers are adding the "spice" to me and can be sometimes a neat and cheaper alternative. TAL, Variety of Sound, DDMF, ValhallaDSP or de la Mancha, just to name a few. Same goes for RE. I like seeing not only ports, but exclusive stuff by new interesting developers.

Old 2012-10-23, 20:51

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotica View Post
In the plug-in world, little developers are adding the "spice" to me and can be sometimes a neat and cheaper alternative. TAL, Variety of Sound, DDMF, ValhallaDSP or de la Mancha, just to name a few. Same goes for RE. I like seeing not only ports, but exclusive stuff by new interesting developers.
Like this guy's thinking - and yes some good products have been seen in the VST field, from those you mention.
Old 2012-10-23, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfresha View Post
I won't be going anywhere in a hurry
good because the things you say about the eq you have in mind sounds more the ticket i was looking for .
although i said what i did about your first eq, and have been trialing it,i do like the non colour from start up and low dsp on my low end system still think ill wait to see added meters etc to think it will earn place in my rack . but hopefully the one you seem to have in mind maybe will come before and be more my thing .
so i hope you will not be going anywhere too lol .

--------------LUCEO-NON-URO---------------
Old 2012-10-23, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish View Post
Does not matter.

Wow!! This is key point for me as well. The longevity is most important, and the way Props is setup, it looks as if we are in the long ride which is a great thing
Old 2012-10-23, 18:55

Quote:
I'm all for it. Upstarts are more likely to come up with something unusual and unique.

Quote:
Does it Bother you?
Not any more than people writing VSTs for other DAWs. I can't see any good reason for it to actually bother anyone, frankly.

Quote:
Even "reputable" companies aren't immune from releasing faulty code. Take a look at the current REs and their version numbers and compare which ones have had to be updated to fix various bugs. Both big and small are in that group.

Quote:
No.

Or, in other words, I don't think it should be a requirement or anything. What if someone devoted themselves to building a really wild, strange new synth, took several months to develop it, worked like a dog - do we say that they should also come up with a freebie RE just to allay some people's fears? Trust in abilities and products - that's what demos are for.