Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-26, 03:16

Mixer/Rack/Sequencer solo integration

Just a request to have the solo function to work globally...so when I solo a rack instrument I will be able to solo/un-solo through out the Mixer/Rack/Sequencer...
Old 2012-10-26, 16:59

NO!!!
Its best as it is!
Old 2012-10-26, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvistro View Post
Just a request to have the solo function to work globally...so when I solo a rack instrument I will be able to solo/un-solo through out the Mixer/Rack/Sequencer...
This has been asked and answered more than a few times, but for those who missed it…

It logically CAN'T function globally since these functions aren't related except for by name.

The sequencer's mute/solos come between the note track and the instrument, or as the FIRST thing in the signal path. The Mixer's mute/solos come between the audio/instrument channel and the mix bus, or almost the LAST thing in the audio path. There is no logic in linking these, as they are located in different places and have different functions.

For one, muting in the Sequencer can save CPU since you're not triggering notes. Muting in the Mixer OTOH, does nothing to save CPU since the notes are still being triggered.

If you muted in BOTH places, it would be redundant and un-necessary, i.e., why mute the audio when you've already muted the note data (there's no audio to mute at that point)?

Another scenario: a ReDrum with the individual tracks going to the mixer. In the sequencer, you have ONE track to mute/solo, but in the Mixer you have 10. How exactly would you link the ONE sequencer track to the TEN mixer tracks? And again, why would you even want the mixer to mute if you're already muted the sequencer?

Other issues are FX, which don't often have sequencer tracks - how do you "link" these globally?

Again, the problem is that these two unrelated functions are both called "solo" and "mute", making them LOOK like they should be linked, but it would be impossible in practice to actually do so (and would be unnecessary in most cases IMO). Make sense? :-)
USA
Old 2012-10-26, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
This has been asked and answered more than a few times, but for those who missed it…

It logically CAN'T function globally since these functions aren't related except for by name.

The sequencer's mute/solos come between the note track and the instrument, or as the FIRST thing in the signal path. The Mixer's mute/solos come between the audio/instrument channel and the mix bus, or almost the LAST thing in the audio path. There is no logic in linking these, as they are located in different places and have different functions.

For one, muting in the Sequencer can save CPU since you're not triggering notes. Muting in the Mixer OTOH, does nothing to save CPU since the notes are still being triggered.

If you muted in BOTH places, it would be redundant and un-necessary, i.e., why mute the audio when you've already muted the note data (there's no audio to mute at that point)?

Another scenario: a ReDrum with the individual tracks going to the mixer. In the sequencer, you have ONE track to mute/solo, but in the Mixer you have 10. How exactly would you link the ONE sequencer track to the TEN mixer tracks? And again, why would you even want the mixer to mute if you're already muted the sequencer?

Other issues are FX, which don't often have sequencer tracks - how do you "link" these globally?

Again, the problem is that these two unrelated functions are both called "solo" and "mute", making them LOOK like they should be linked, but it would be impossible in practice to actually do so (and would be unnecessary in most cases IMO). Make sense? :-)

you took your time to explain it. I just hope he gets it.

Last edited by lyricalvolt; 2012-10-26 at 19:02.
Old 2012-10-26, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricalvolt View Post
you took your time to explain it. I just hope he gets it.
Looking back, your answer was more on point! ;-)
USA
Old 2012-10-26, 19:51

As selig mentioned, it wouldn't make sense.

Along with his amazing answer, I'll note this: I enjoy the separate mutes for being able to mute my sequencer track and audition another riff using that same device(s) (without deleting the note lane). I could not achieve this by muting the mixer channel...because there would be no sound.
Old 2012-10-26, 20:17

all of that plus, you might want the bassdrum to sidechain your pad but not hear the bassdrum.
you can simply do that by muting the mixer channel only.
cheers
fredhoven