Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-01, 13:23

Getting back into rock-infused synthpop

Hi all!

I used to write loads of synthpop tunes, and in recent years that's kind of waned a bit - I'm not entirely sure why, because I love writing that kind of thing. I've just finished up a production project so I'm sort of in-between jobs at the moment, so thought it'd be nice to give it another whirl.

So, as a result, here is one of said songs! I'd love to know what you guys think, I don't really have anything particular in mind for this project but I'm sure I'll think of something. For now I thought it'd be nice to share what I've been up to

Loading SoundCloud…

Cheers!
Old 2012-11-01, 16:26

Very fun track! It's synthpop, but it is quite modern. Kind of reminds me a bit of the swedish band Statemachine, except you've added some guitars.

The only quibble I have is that the chorus sounds a lot like the verse (except for the guitar track). I think the similarity is mainly in the vocals. The problem is it makes the song seem a bit longer than it is.

Other than that I really liked it. You're quite the versatile songwriter, Adam!

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-11-01, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrace View Post
Very fun track! It's synthpop, but it is quite modern. Kind of reminds me a bit of the swedish band Statemachine, except you've added some guitars.

The only quibble I have is that the chorus sounds a lot like the verse (except for the guitar track). I think the similarity is mainly in the vocals. The problem is it makes the song seem a bit longer than it is.

Other than that I really liked it. You're quite the versatile songwriter, Adam!
Thanks mate, glad you liked it! I'm still trying to re-discover myself with regards to this kind of music, so thanks for the pointers. I'm having a lot of fun with it and hope to write a lot more music like this in the near future.

Also, I'm not sure if I'd say "versatile"... just fickle
Old 2012-11-01, 18:52

I like what I could hear pretty much up until the 0:53 mark. After that everything sounds washed out in too much reverb or effects. The dynamics went missing, I couldn't hear the vocals clearly, and I found myself listening to a wall of white noise-ish sound. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I'm just sharing my gut first impression.

Music

Artwork

Old 2012-11-01, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITUS View Post
I like what I could hear pretty much up until the 0:53 mark. After that everything sounds washed out in too much reverb or effects. The dynamics went missing, I couldn't hear the vocals clearly, and I found myself listening to a wall of white noise-ish sound. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I'm just sharing my gut first impression.
Ouch! Well, thanks for the honest feedback - this is a bit of a cop-out, but I imagine the 128kbps MP3 encoding of Soundcloud probably isn't doing me any favours. In any case, I'll have to have a look at it. Cheers for the feedback.
Old 2012-11-02, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfielding View Post
Ouch! Well, thanks for the honest feedback - this is a bit of a cop-out, but I imagine the 128kbps MP3 encoding of Soundcloud probably isn't doing me any favours. In any case, I'll have to have a look at it. Cheers for the feedback.
Okay, I gave it another listen this morning with fresh rested ears and I think I may have exaggerated a bit. However, there are definitely 2 areas on the track where I still stand by my earlier statements. The first one occurs at the 1:15 climax and the 2nd occurs at 2:16. I think the pad during these chorus sections kind of mask the vocals and gives that strong white noise reverb effect I mentioned. Even so, the vocals are excellent and I know you're not exactly a newbie when it comes to music production. So, take what I've written and get 2nd and 3rd opinions of course...

Music

Artwork

Last edited by DIGITUS; 2012-11-02 at 03:30.
Old 2012-11-02, 01:33

your voice is fantastic. I would like to do a track with your vocals. either this one or something that is prog house/electro/dub ish
Old 2012-11-02, 01:36

great percussion - real clap sits great in the mix and has perfect delay/verb tail to give it the real live sound. The vocal is awesome - i think the effects on it should have more automation tho - like 1:50ish for this verse it should start dry then at the second part of the verse u could automate them back in

2:31 gets muddy - cuz of the effects on your voice - the rest of the track all sounds great. bass could be a tad louder tbh but thats mostly taste im a bass junky. kick sounds good. although its not punching thru as much as id like. this is such a cool track - like i said i would love to do a remix or do something with your vocals in general. you have a fantastic voice.
Old 2012-11-02, 01:45

This is just wonderful!! Much respect to you as an artist Adam!
Old 2012-11-02, 03:47

You know I'm a big fan of all your pathways over the past couple of years and I'm very happy that you're working on this one again. But unfortunately, I have the same gut feeling as before... if you can possibly work out how to get the vocals more articulate in the middle of all the crashing tones and swells of emotion in the instruments, it will stand out as a truly finished professional style. And of course, get lyrics so sharp that the ideas stand even taller than the music. A tall order given the magnificence of the music. Have you considered working with a lyricist/poet? Cream did and it did wonders. Hendrix spent every waking moment writing poetry and it really paid off. I just can't help but feel that you are on the verge a major breakthrough, not just for you personally, but from a cultural point of view. To have music with such power combined with lyrics that touch those deep wounds that are felt everywhere these days as the corporate world digs its claws into everyone, wreaking havoc on the lives and relationships of everyone, that would be staggering to hear. Don't know why, I think you could do it. Can you sidechain the vocals and the music so that the vocals stand out more? I'm not good with this technical problem with vocals. Maybe some of the technical experts on the forum could try that? Great work as usual.
Reason 7; 27" iMac; Akai MPK88; Konnekt6; Amplitube; Miroslav Gold; Fender Strat, Tele, Jazz Bass, Blues Jr III, SCXD; Spector Bass; Agile Les Paul; Ergo Bass; Zero-G Total Rex; Trident A-Range; RE-2A; Vermilion; Creme; Revival; Futurator; Glitch; Logic Studio 9; Reaktor 5.8.