Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-11-01, 15:18

Smile Random Sample Picker & Preset Generator?

Hello

Is it just me or do you all have what seems like millions of (drum) samples / wav or aiff files on your hard drive which you would like to make Redrum drum kits with, or multi layered Kong Kits with, and you just can't be bothered to spend about six months of your life (or a lot more) selecting them one by one, channel by channel, to build your own bespoke sampled kits and saving them as separate Redrum patches or Kong patches?

Well how about a "Pick RANDOM Samples/wavs" Or "Randomise" button?

What if you could specify the directory the samples were in, and the number of samples you wanted to pick, and then clicked a randomise button that would go off and pick say 10 random samples from your directory of say 50 samples and put them in channels 1 to 10 of redrum, and then save the patch as RAND01, RAND02 or whatever?

Maybe it could also "randomise remaining", so that if you liked the first three you could get it to pick the remaining 7.

You could then take a standard GM midi file and randomise the samples that play by selecting and auditioning your new randomly generated presets until you got some amazing combination of drum sounds. Some very happy accidents. Nice kits and brilliant patterns that you couldn't get by selecting them yourself.

Hey, maybe you could even do it with rex slices too. Create random Redrums and Kongs out of Rex loops. That would be cool too.

And the icing on the cake would be that it saves the number of iterations or combinations you specify, allows or disallows duplicate picks (according to user selection) and wraps it all up as a refill for you. How cool would that be?

I have no idea how to get it to do it but it can't be that difficult can it?

I can create a spreadsheet with a list of filenames and get it to jumble them up by channel, but I don't know how to populate a Reason device with random samples or layers. But I bet the Propellerheads do.

The same would apply for populating an NN-XT.

PS you could randomise your substractor, thor and malstrom patches too if there was a button or a script to do so too. Then tweak away to your heart's content. Scanned Synth Pro has a random button.

I know this concept might upset the purists and proper sound designers out there, but why can't we have fun with random noises and samples too?

Views anybody? Good idea? Bad Idea? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Kind regards

Neil (Redronnie1963)

Last edited by redronnie1963; 2013-05-19 at 01:18.
Old 2012-11-01, 18:07

I don't see any value in your idea, but you can buy Rack Extensions like the PDT2 to setup something similar.
In fact you can set it up unlimited as you can create unlimited ReDrums (which does not only drum as you can load up any wave file, thus sounds as well) and add PDT2's to these ReDrums.
Then you can randomly (set percentages) for each line in a Redrum, and to make it even more weird you can trigger the Cv level with the PDT2 as well, like if you set that to control a pitch it will create weird sounds.

More info regarding PDT2 here http://shop.propellerheads.se/produc...-drum-trigger/
Old 2012-11-01, 20:57

I love the idea, but think it's better as an idea than a feature On the topic of random audio, Ronnie have you seen vaetxh's File Radio app?

http://vaetxh.com/audio/file-radio/
Old 2012-11-01, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsh View Post
I love the idea, but think it's better as an idea than a feature On the topic of random audio, Ronnie have you seen vaetxh's File Radio app?

http://vaetxh.com/audio/file-radio/
Thanks for your feedback.

I'll check it out.

Cheers!

Neil
Old 2012-11-01, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
I don't see any value in your idea, but you can buy Rack Extensions like the PDT2 to setup something similar.
In fact you can set it up unlimited as you can create unlimited ReDrums (which does not only drum as you can load up any wave file, thus sounds as well) and add PDT2's to these ReDrums.
Then you can randomly (set percentages) for each line in a Redrum, and to make it even more weird you can trigger the Cv level with the PDT2 as well, like if you set that to control a pitch it will create weird sounds.

More info regarding PDT2 here http://shop.propellerheads.se/produc...-drum-trigger/
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'd rather use the modules we already have (like Redrum and Kong) , than have to branch out and learn and pay for yet another one. I already have a dangerously excessive free refill, sample and VST collection!

My collecting binge has got in the way of my making music and I am trying to use what I already have instead of acquiring more!

I am curious why you don't see any value in it. Is there lliterally nobody else out there who wants to click a button or run a script and end up with a unique drum kit or synth combination they can save and make an existing midi drum track they have sound quirky, unique or just plain awesome via a happy accident? Just curious.

I'll check PDT2 out anyway. Thanks.

Regards

Neil
Old 2012-11-03, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by redronnie1963 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'd rather use the modules we already have (like Redrum and Kong) , than have to branch out and learn and pay for yet another one. I already have a dangerously excessive free refill, sample and VST collection!

My collecting binge has got in the way of my making music and I am trying to use what I already have instead of acquiring more!

I am curious why you don't see any value in it. Is there lliterally nobody else out there who wants to click a button or run a script and end up with a unique drum kit or synth combination they can save and make an existing midi drum track they have sound quirky, unique or just plain awesome via a happy accident? Just curious.

I'll check PDT2 out anyway. Thanks.

Regards

Neil
Well a RE such as the PDT2 doesn't make any sounds from itself, it triggers other devices such as the Redrum to generate these sounds.
Actually you can see it as a randomizer for devices like Redrum.
You set the percentage and the PDT2 calculates when it should trigger Redrum to play a sound.
I watched the 2 small video's on its salespage in the Propellerhead RE shop and downloaded the trial version and within 10 minutes you know how it works.
OchenK explains it very easy and plain simple, which i personally prefer.
Old 2012-11-03, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
Well a RE such as the PDT2 doesn't make any sounds from itself, it triggers other devices such as the Redrum to generate these sounds.
Actually you can see it as a randomizer for devices like Redrum.
You set the percentage and the PDT2 calculates when it should trigger Redrum to play a sound.
I watched the 2 small video's on its salespage in the Propellerhead RE shop and downloaded the trial version and within 10 minutes you know how it works.
OchenK explains it very easy and plain simple, which i personally prefer.
Ok, cool.

I have watched the videos now and see what PDT2 does. Thanks for letting me know about it.
PDT2 randomises your beats. The suggestion I had would randomise your kits and create new variations of them.

Cheers!
Old 2012-11-03, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by redronnie1963 View Post
Ok, cool.

I have watched the videos now and see what PDT2 does. Thanks for letting me know about it.
PDT2 randomises your beats. The suggestion I had would randomise your kits and create new variations of them.

Cheers!
Yep, not only your beat because you can load any wave sample into Redrum or Kong so it doesn't have to be a drumsound.
The PDT2 is limited to 16 steps though...
Old 2012-11-05, 04:19

I want something like this too. I also want all the randomly chosen sounds for all the components, and I want a gradual change over 4 bars from one set to the next. And that, sounds like something that sits inside a combinator, controlling a mixer inside, and having control over 2 alternating sets of all the other instruments and effects inside it. I just want to keep playing and playing, and not take my hand off the keys to fiddle with the software.
Old 2012-11-15, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenha View Post
I want something like this too. I also want all the randomly chosen sounds for all the components, and I want a gradual change over 4 bars from one set to the next. And that, sounds like something that sits inside a combinator, controlling a mixer inside, and having control over 2 alternating sets of all the other instruments and effects inside it. I just want to keep playing and playing, and not take my hand off the keys to fiddle with the software.
Hey Stevenha

Thanks for your response

I like your morphing idea from one set of samples to another. I know you can put a number of different samples into an NN-XT into a single zone and it will trigger them on a "round robin" sequential basis. You can also set the velocities so a different sample will play in a particular zone depending on how hard you hit your drum pad or keyboard.

I think you can automate the velocity by setting a specific pattern in a matrix so it increases over say 4 bars, and use the matrix sequencer to play the NNXTs notes at increasing velocities. That would automatically morph the samples for you from one set to the other when it hits the right velocity level, and then I guess you could loop it in your sequencer.so it returns to the original levels and original samples.

The other way you could do that is set up two totally different NNXT patches Morph1 and Morph2 and just cross fade from one into the other at a particular point. Then the first set would be rediced in volume as the second set kicks in.

And I suppose you could logically combine both approaches. Somehow.

Incidentally, I learned a little trick from -008. Put all of your kick drum sounds in an NN-XT, all your snare drums in a separate one, and so on. Then build a combinator with all the separate NN-XTs included. Then its just a case of auditioning each one byplaying each of your say, 49 notes on your midi controller keyboard to find the best sample for your kick drum in the first NNXT out of the batch, say Kick047 - then move onto the snare, select say, Snare 003 as your favourite and repeat with the rest of your NN-XTs until you have done the whole kit.

You can always then recreate the same unique sample combination in a Redrum or Kong for further use.

It's not random selection, far from it, but its not a bad way of choosing sounds you actually like rather than robitically selecting Kick001, Snare001, LoTom1, etc.and spending days creating sample combinatrions you may not actually like or ever use.

Cheers!