Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-05, 21:45

Is RE technology inferior to VST? (My talk with iZotope’s support)

I noticed at the VST version of iZotope Ozone Maximazer there are three IRC modes while in Reason’s RE version are only two.

IRC modes are absolutely great, the second is better than the first but it uses more CPU and causes more latency. Not a big deal when you only use it for mastering…

In the VST version the third mode (IRC III)is better than all and it uses even more CPU power but with awesome results!

I wondered why the heck as a Reason user and owner of Ozone Maximazer RE I could not have the benefits of the third IRC III mode… So I mailed iZotope asking them how come this thing happens and asked them for an update that includes the IRC III mode.

I want to share with you the answer they gave me:

''Hello,

Thanks for this feedback. We do appreciate the feedback and I will forward this information to our product managers and developers directly for their consideration.

Please do note that this performance restriction comes from the actual proprietary plug-in format specifications created by Propellerheads directly. We do understand the benefit of balancing CPU performance with regards to audio processing quality in specific situations, which is why we implement higher quality algorithms in Ozone 5, at the cost of CPU usage more than typical plug-ins, as it is designed as a Mastering plug-in.

To my knowledge, the Rack Extension plug-in format is designed with the intent to have very high stability and usability across a variety platforms and systems. With these performance restrictions, we are currently unable to implement the IRC III algorithm into this specific plug-in format.''
------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this means? We will never have a high algorithm quality in Reason because developers want it to be stable? Are there crucial restrictions to RE format?

Is RE technology inferior to VST?

I am hoping for an answer because I am really curious!

***Btw if you own Ozone Maximazer mail iZotope and ask them for an update that includes IRC III mode, it’s a must-have because basically is the soul of this plugin, what makes it special.

Thanks!

Last edited by DimitrisG; 2012-11-05 at 21:48. Reason: typo
Old 2012-11-05, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitrisG View Post
I noticed at the ... what makes it special.

Thanks!
Become a RE Builder and find out This discussion about IRC3 has been on the forums before, i dont remember the outcome, but there was a reason There always is a REASON!
Old 2012-11-05, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyTale View Post
Become a RE Builder and find out This discussion about IRC3 has been on the forums before, i dont remember the outcome, but there was a reason There always is a REASON!
Its obvious there is a reason, read again how iZotope's support is explaining it. I don't want to know technical details, it is not in my intents to become a RE developer....but only if the current RE format is inferior to VST and can't support high quality algorithms. If its equal to VSTs why don't we have the IRC III mode in Reason?

Can you please point me out where is the discussion for the IRC III? I cant find it anywhere.

Thanks
Old 2012-11-06, 00:01

The developer explained exactly why they didn't implement the feature, what more do you want lol. Thread is boring lol.
Old 2012-11-06, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiger167 View Post
The developer explained exactly why they didn't implement the feature, what more do you want lol. Thread is boring lol.
I want to know something completely different but your IQ level does not allows you to understand what. I bet you are boring as hell lol
Old 2012-11-06, 00:46

If you like Reason, then just accept it for what it is. VST technology has been around for 16 years and as a result, is far more developed. Considering that RE technology has only been available for barely 6 months, I think the chances are that it will quickly match VST in scope and capability.

Whatever the current restrictions are now, just work around them. That's how the really good stuff gets done!
Old 2012-11-06, 01:41

Quote:
I want to know something completely different but your IQ level does not allows you to understand what. I bet you are boring as hell lol
LOL, I say you BOTH are boring!
Old 2012-11-06, 07:48

Quote:
Its obvious there is a reason, read again how iZotope's support is explaining it. I don't want to know technical details, it is not in my intents to become a RE developer....but only if the current RE format is inferior to VST and can't support high quality algorithms.
You are thinking about this in the wrong way, and coming to erroneous conclusions. There is nothing to suggest that the RE system cannot support "high quality algorithms". (What does that mean, exactly? Do you know? If you don't, then what makes you think the answer will mean anything to you, either?) Right now in the RE store, Cakewalk has released an emulation of some sort of legendary hardware compressor. If its hype is to be believed, it has many high quality algorithms simulating old hardware circuits. So it's not that RE can't support algorithms, those things are all over the place.

Look closer at the very thing you quoted from iZotope:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZotope
To my knowledge, the Rack Extension plug-in format is designed with the intent to have very high stability and usability across a variety platforms and systems. With these performance restrictions, we are currently unable to implement the IRC III algorithm into this specific plug-in format.
If the RE format has high stability and usability, then the fact that iZotope can''t bring in this other algorithm suggests that the algorithm would bring in instability and/or unusability. Maybe these algorithms aren't as high quality as you make them out to be. Sure, maybe they can provide some extra sound processing features, or maybe the end results sound better, but what if they cause more crashes? You may not be seeing a superiority of VST, you may be seeing VST ignoring things that are a bit more sloppy and buggy. Whether or not that makes VST "better" is up to the user, I suppose.

Old 2012-11-05, 22:37

I wouldn't say RE's are inferior at all to be honest, there are some very good devices out at the moment and things will only improve. What you have to remember is that RE is a very new concept and as time goes on the SDK will improve and allow devs much more freedom to create and implement more, so you might well see the IRC III mode in reason in the form of an update to the ozone maximiser.
Old 2012-11-05, 23:39

Considering REs have only been out months not years just think back to the first ever vst devices.
REs are not inferior just different and brand spanking new. Also take into consideration props obsession with stability I think they are just playing it safe.
Once the SDK gets more mature and more refined I'm sure it will match and surpass vst.