Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-08, 16:31

Question Sampling in Reason 6.5

It seems i can't get it to work.

I have issues with my brand new audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) as described here https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=170445 (on both, Windows Vista 32bit and Windows 7 64bit).

I can play sound from the computer trough the Scarlett 2i2 but recording seems impossible.

What i want to achieve is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vfu4n4KcAI

In the beginning of that tutorial video you see the level meters in the Hardware Interface of Reason going up and down.
Even that doesn't work on my end.

Checklist:

-. I can hear sound from my computer (without Reason) trough my Scarlett 2i2 by playing an mp3 or watch a video

-. I can hear sound from Reason when i drum on my keyboard playing in Kong or playing Thor

-. I have set (in Vista and Win7) in Windows settings that the default soundcard (for playing AND recording) is the Scarlett 2i2.

-. In Reason the audio interface is set to Scarlett 2i2

-. I created an audio track and click record, started VLC player with an mp3 but no sound is recorded to that audio track in Reason sequenzer.

-. I tried the same in Kong using the Nano Sampler, same story it doesn't record a damn thing.

All issues described are on both, Windows Vista 32bit and Windows 7 64bit.
So playing seems to work fine, however, recording does not work at all.

Did i forgot something?
Old 2012-11-08, 16:37

is it possible to route a windows source to an asio channel?

i think you have to route the windows sound out (by cable)
and route it in again! (with the same cable)

I do not really know
Old 2012-11-08, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish View Post
is it possible to route a windows source to an asio channel?

i think you have to route the windows sound out (by cable)
and route it in again! (with the same cable)

I do not really know
Not understand what you mean, sorry.

I don't think i need any more cables/interfaces/boxes/whatever.

I paid about 135 euro for a so called "high quality" audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) and tried 2 different OS, Vista and Windows 7.

I think the way i set it up is right, but maybe i missed a step, i'm not a pro, just a beginner.
Old 2012-11-08, 17:17

well they lie by saying you can sample anyway because you can sample a line in or a mic but you cannot sample the audio stream for exemple when you play a cd so it's not a real sampler that they included it's bearly a line in sound editor thing !
if you got a line in in your sound card you can hook a laptop or a cd player to it and that will work !

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
Old 2012-11-08, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
Did i forgot something?
It seems you forgot to route audio from VLC to Reason. On a Mac, we call it creating an aggregate device and then routing audio from one virtual audio outout to a virtual audio input. I use Soundflower to do that. Under Windows, I think you need ASIO4ALL or something and an application like JackAudio. This way you can set up virtual audio connections between different applications. Hopefully a Windows user who does that will pop in and help you with more details.

http://jackaudio.org/
Old 2012-11-08, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy View Post
It seems you forgot to route audio from VLC to Reason. On a Mac, we call it creating an aggregate device and then routing audio from one virtual audio outout to a virtual audio input. I use Soundflower to do that. Under Windows, I think you need ASIO4ALL or something and an application like JackAudio. This way you can set up virtual audio connections between different applications. Hopefully a Windows user who does that will pop in and help you with more details.

this is the only way anyway !
or audio line input of the sound card but I would like that into reason so when they write that you can sample it would not be a lie anymore !

It's like gambling !!!

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

Old 2012-11-08, 19:21

things seem to be getting a little confused in here first you cant sample into reason from a media player of any kind without third party software like jack for windows and the thing to use on mac I believe is called sound flower (but can't sure as I'm a pc) but if you new to making music on your pc then I would stay away from those for the time being until you've got some more expierience under your belt. so if you want to get media you already have on your pc in an audio format the way to do it is to import the sample (file import audio/best to use wave no mp3 support) as opposed to sampling it. any you still want to check your sound card is working then try sampling audio from the line input/guitar jack on your sound card.
but my advise would be to get some more general experience of recording stuff and using instruments in reason before getting into more indepth features.
Old 2012-11-08, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollownation View Post
things seem to be getting a little confused in here first you cant sample into reason from a media player of any kind without third party software like jack for windows and the thing to use on mac I believe is called sound flower (but can't sure as I'm a pc) but if you new to making music on your pc then I would stay away from those for the time being until you've got some more expierience under your belt. so if you want to get media you already have on your pc in an audio format the way to do it is to import the sample (file import audio/best to use wave no mp3 support) as opposed to sampling it. any you still want to check your sound card is working then try sampling audio from the line input/guitar jack on your sound card.
but my advise would be to get some more general experience of recording stuff and using instruments in reason before getting into more indepth features.
There is a few software that make sampling possible from the audio streaming yes but they should include something for doing that into reason like a driver or something .

I also think that without it it's not a full sampling feature that we got but I'm shure that must be in work since the audio stream of the sound card got nothing to do with the files format

It's like gambling !!!

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

Old 2012-11-08, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlycharlzz View Post
There is a few software that make sampling possible from the audio streaming yes but they should include something for doing that into reason like a driver or something .

I also think that without it it's not a full sampling feature that we got but I'm shure that must be in work since the audio stream of the sound card got nothing to do with the files format
Propellerhead really must look into this.
This isn't a big "feature".
I think if you ask all Reason users then 98% of them were thinking that this is already possible with Reason.

@Propellerhead

Sampling = sampling.
I want to capture what i hear, regardless from where it comes from.
Reason should capture ANY sound that comes trough the audio interface.
Or even make this possible by a switch knob to enable/disable this.
This is disappointing, seriously.
Old 2012-11-08, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy View Post

Any help from a Windows user would be helpful.
I searched on Google but can't find any manual how to setup that JackAudio with VLC and Reason.

Nonetheless, i still find it a real shortcoming in Reason that Reason does not capture everything what goes in and out trough the soundcard.
Wether it's a audiostream from online radio, audio from a movie/audiofile played by any mediaplayer, VOIP call, whatever.
Propellerhead Reason should be able to record it....

Thanks anyway for thinking with me