Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-08, 20:17

Groups Fader Control Please

My reason sessions are getting pretty huge. The lack of ability to group faders on the SSL console adds at least 45 minutes to my sessions during mixdown of just leveling. This becomes problematic w clients, throws mixes off balance, and is just generally a pain.

Why does propheads refuse to include this feature? & if they have, how do it do it. & im not talking about the tedium of createing subgroups/mixes. Please include this feature soon.
Thank you.

Last edited by realismo; 2012-11-08 at 20:22.
Old 2012-11-08, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by realismo View Post
My reason sessions are getting pretty huge. The lack of ability to group faders on the SSL console adds at least 45 minutes to my sessions during mixdown of just leveling. This becomes problematic w clients, throws mixes off balance, and is just generally a pain.

Why does propheads refuse to include this feature? & if they have, how do it do it. & im not talking about the tedium of createing subgroups/mixes. Please include this feature soon.
Thank you.
I haven't heard them refuse to include this feature. It's much requested and standard operating procedure on the original SSL, so I'm hopeful they are listening. :-)
USA
Old 2012-11-12, 18:50

I would hope so. Its about as basic and necessary of a function a DAW can have. That's why its a little disconcerting that they would not include this.

Propheads are brilliant and therefore it seems to me that the exclusion of this feature was a conscious decision (also, in a Gary Bohman mixing video he addresses the issue in a not so positive light, and it sounds to me like its some irrational adherence to the limitations of the hardware it was modeled after, or some such hardware).

While I have great faith in propheads' astute well thought-out reasoning, GIVE US GROUPS PLEASE OBI-WAN!! We shouldnt have to live w/o it. No one else does.

Propellerheads--
Please include faders in your next update. The reason community would greatly appreciate it. The inability to do this is very hindering.

Thank you for listening & thank you for your reply Selig.
Old 2012-11-12, 19:27

Smile

I have been asking a bus system for some time and since they do not have to up-grade the items in the system maybe they will include a grouping feature in reason 7.
Old 2012-11-12, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by realismo View Post
Propheads are brilliant and therefore it seems to me that the exclusion of this feature was a conscious decision (also, in a Gary Bohman mixing video he addresses the issue in a not so positive light, and it sounds to me like its some irrational adherence to the limitations of the hardware it was modeled after, or some such hardware).
The original SSL can do up to 32 busses (for creating sub-mixes), 8 fader groups, and has solo isolate. Reason can create unlimited busses (but it needs to be accomplished with fewer clicks), has no fader groups, and no solo isolate.

Don't get me started on edit groups, possibly even more important to me since unlike the other issues there is NO workaround for this. Try editing a bunch of drum tracks and you'll know what I'm talking about - can't be done. And crossfades on multiple tracks… I could go on, but if you want the full story check out my VERY detailed suggestion for a grand solution that even addresses things that aren't currently addressed by any other DAW:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=127316
(this post is so old it says this is a "Record" suggestion!) :-)
USA
Old 2012-11-13, 04:35

Lightbulb fader strip groups that twirl sideways

similar to a combinator in the main mixboard panel
it would be great if we could get them to allow select multiple using (shift click) then right click group faders, at this point there would be one master fader that simply adds or subtracts what is going on below its hierarchy .

a twirl arrow to expand the group.
Old 2012-11-14, 13:01

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=selig;1176240]The original SSL can do up to 32 busses (for creating sub-mixes), 8 fader groups, and has solo isolate. Reason can create unlimited busses (but it needs to be accomplished with fewer clicks), has no fader groups, and no solo isolate.

I agree with you but I also believe Props would have to address most of these problems on Balance. If it is going to be the dedicated mixer/interface then we need to be able to do fader groups as well as quick edit for the buses we create to get down to a 8 fade, then mix to one. I do not believe we can get the fader groups done quicker without it because we are not able to respond fast enough. Now the other solution would go to touch screen for I-pod or other such devices.

This is what I find (an old analog head) with most of the analog to digital problem; there is no hands on. I believe this is why pro-tools has their mixing board with interface and outboard gear. Korg could make the gear because they had a device in the 90st and early 2000's that was hardware to software. Props should anchor with them and go to the next level.
Old 2012-11-15, 09:35

+1 to grouping faders! A VCA group # somewhere very close to the fader would be fabulous. Even just having up to 8 groups would fit most purposes.

Audio sub-groups would be amazing. Perhaps they could be a rack device much like an audio track... but with 8(or more?) stereo inputs