Propellerhead Software
  #1  
Old 2012-11-10, 20:39
ryuken's Avatar
ryuken ryuken is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 68
Producers Help Please

Couple of questions guys, having a bit of trouble getting my levels correct, all sounds good on monitors, but when i play back on other systems, my bass for instance is a lot quieter hardly noticeable, and fx far too loud.

When i playback through monitors on soundcloud, youtube, Mp3, it sounds good. But then transfer it to hifi, or van, or listen to soundcloud through phone it sounds like levels are all over, where as i can listen to a cd, and all tunes i can hear everything correct, so what am i doing wrong

Has anyone any advice or tricks they used to get used to the monitors, its pissing me off


Secondly, what DB should i be exporting my track to wav at, because mine sound really quiet

Cheers peeps, any help really appreciated

This is track im stuck on, Ive turned up the bass, but sounds too loud on my monitors lol, i cant win
http://soundcloud.com/ryanpm/all-around-ryans-bumpy-dub

Last edited by ryuken; 2012-11-10 at 20:47.
  #2  
Old 2012-11-10, 22:49
rVOLT's Avatar
rVOLT rVOLT is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 666
It will never sound the same across various systems.


Use your mixers compression/ gains etc to level things out. Use your stereo imager too.
__________________
http://www.soundcloud.com/rvolt
  #3  
Old 2012-11-10, 22:54
ryuken's Avatar
ryuken ryuken is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 68
Cheers will check them out, was just miffed at when i listen to a cd with 15 tracks on mixed, i can hear all the stuff they have put in they're tacks, but mine sound quiet and some parts none existent. what does the stereo imager do just curious as im not really good with stuff like that. cheers
  #4  
Old 2012-11-10, 23:03
VillaNDubstep's Avatar
VillaNDubstep VillaNDubstep is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,980
It could be worth seeing if some one on these forums would do a mixdown and master for you, sometimes you just need a fresh set of ears on the track that has never heard it before.
Just a suggestion if you don't mind some one else doing it and then maybe they could email you with some insight into how they went about mixing the track or where you were going wrong
  #5  
Old 2012-11-10, 23:23
rVOLT's Avatar
rVOLT rVOLT is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 666
When I have conflicting highs, I use the stereo imager to separate the sounds. Sometimes they wash each other out, and this enhances one sound to be wider or more narrow than the others.

Picture two people standing in line. Facing you, but you can only see the person in front. You can tell another person is standing theres, so you use your stereo imager to make the person in front thinner, or the person in back wider. =) Now you can see (hear) them both. Same concept but with sound.
__________________
http://www.soundcloud.com/rvolt
  #6  
Old 2012-11-11, 12:06
PsyTale's Avatar
PsyTale PsyTale is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvolt View Post
When I have conflicting highs, I use the stereo imager to separate the sounds. Sometimes they wash each other out, and this enhances one sound to be wider or more narrow than the others.

Picture two people standing in line. Facing you, but you can only see the person in front. You can tell another person is standing theres, so you use your stereo imager to make the person in front thinner, or the person in back wider. =) Now you can see (hear) them both. Same concept but with sound.
I like that analogy
  #7  
Old 2012-11-11, 11:32
ryuken's Avatar
ryuken ryuken is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep View Post
It could be worth seeing if some one on these forums would do a mixdown and master for you, sometimes you just need a fresh set of ears on the track that has never heard it before.
Just a suggestion if you don't mind some one else doing it and then maybe they could email you with some insight into how they went about mixing the track or where you were going wrong
Would love for someone to this this, would help me no ends, but who haha

I think also i do need to treat my room, my room is very small
  #8  
Old 2012-11-11, 11:33
ryuken's Avatar
ryuken ryuken is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 68
Thanks everyone for replying, i will try to do some more learning
  #9  
Old 2012-11-11, 12:54
VillaNDubstep's Avatar
VillaNDubstep VillaNDubstep is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuken View Post
Would love for someone to this this, would help me no ends, but who haha
Just start a thread over in the users area or general forum. A lot of people just want to practice mixing with all sorts of genres to build their skills or portfolio. There was a guy posting here https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=170657 asking for places he can get stems, might be worth a shot
  #10  
Old 2012-11-11, 06:30
djfm1983's Avatar
djfm1983 djfm1983 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuken View Post
Couple of questions guys, having a bit of trouble getting my levels correct, all sounds good on monitors, but when i play back on other systems, my bass for instance is a lot quieter hardly noticeable, and fx far too loud.

When i playback through monitors on soundcloud, youtube, Mp3, it sounds good. But then transfer it to hifi, or van, or listen to soundcloud through phone it sounds like levels are all over, where as i can listen to a cd, and all tunes i can hear everything correct, so what am i doing wrong

Has anyone any advice or tricks they used to get used to the monitors, its pissing me off


Secondly, what DB should i be exporting my track to wav at, because mine sound really quiet

Cheers peeps, any help really appreciated

This is track im stuck on, Ive turned up the bass, but sounds too loud on my monitors lol, i cant win
http://soundcloud.com/ryanpm/all-around-ryans-bumpy-dub
Best thing I would advise you to do is have reference mix at hand while mixing your song. Find a professionally mixed song you like and has similar sound to what your trying to make and A/B them to help you set levels. You gotta do some acoustical treatment to help your mixes translate (or take the time to learn your monitors and room response). If you notice your bass sound quieter outside of you room it's due to standing waves. You'll need to do some bass trapping to help you out there.
Also when you play songs on your phone it'll sound different because most phones play back in mono. Things sometimes disappear when you play back in mono due to phase issues. It's a good idea to check your mix in mono to heart if there are any serious issues going on.
It's you haven't already started you might want to buy some videos or books to help you learn some mixing techniques. How long have you been mixing for?

Last edited by djfm1983; 2012-11-11 at 06:34.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reason Dubstep Producers? Rhypht General Forum (read only) 25 2013-08-31 14:43
Top Hip Hop Producers using Reason? Geneyus6 Phead User Forum (read only) 98 2012-09-16 14:52
Producers this is why you protect your music!!! Danoc Phead User Forum (read only) 51 2012-02-22 22:02
ATTN: PRODUCERS...WANT TO REMIX A 6 HOLE RECORDS ARTIST? sinvegas General Forum (read only) 4 2009-03-22 01:44
Electronic music dj's and producers questionnaire djplayaround General Forum (read only) 0 2006-12-05 16:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:11.