Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-11-13, 12:39

I suggest not to punish the people who buy your product

Hello, as a long term fan and professional producer I have to recommend a way to keep your clients happy and able to use your software flexible and easy. It makes me very sad at this point that it looks like I have to find another way of building my live/concert setup but it seems there´s no other way.
The Ignition key is simply not trustful and I can´t risk to mess up my show just because my bought licenses for RE´s are suddenly not found anymore.. These issues appeared several times now and it´s quite outragous to ask for an internet connection everywhere you go..
I use two computers and on both I could make it work of course but those issues happen again. I don´t want to go through the nightmare before a concert, find a wifi and re-download stuff I bought already..
Do you understand that this is punishment for your clients and makes an easy workflow impossible ?

My suggestions:
1. Find a way to solve Dongle license issues or simply get rid of it. (The pirates won´t be stopped by it anyway)
2. Allow 2 Dongles if "holy Ignition" is needed.. One for studio and one for the road.
3. Don´t try to make Reason the all in one solution for the studio.. It is a very great Rewire unit which works nice and flexible.. Don´t try to make it a Pro Tools for low budget.. It doesn´t suit it..

Thank you, I hope those issues will disappear, otherwise I gotta find me another solution.
Best, a fan truly
TTT
Old 2012-11-13, 13:32

Actually the pirates have been stopped by it.

The free "pirate ride gravy train" stopped at Reason 5.
Old 2012-11-13, 13:42

I think you already understood in the other thread why the Props would not be able to offer us any REs if they had no copy protection.. These kinds of threads baffle me, how can you be so demanding without even knowing or thinking about the implications? As a Prop, my answer (even if I wouldn't give it to you like this) would be: "Okay, get happy with some other DAW and VSTs with their multitude of copy protection systems." Cause from how you put things, you will have to abandon Reason anyway as the REs are here to stay. I guess some people would also personally come to your home and kill you if the Props really did what you suggest here ^^

Also, if the RE is not installed on your computer theres no way you can get around downloading it anyway.. As you said you have to download them again I guess thats what happened.. Or do you think VSTs magically install themselves on your Laptop when you install them on your PC? In Reason its at least just one click to install all plugins, try that in a VST host or ProTools. Heck for ProTools 9 I even have a complete separate computer with its setup from 2006 in my studio cause updating it to PT10 with all features just doesn't work. Now I have one PC for 9 and one for 10, great.
Old 2012-11-13, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
Okay, get happy with some other DAW and VSTs with their multitude of copy protection systems.
Quote:
Okay, get happy with some other DAW and VSTs with their multitude of copy protection systems.
Quote:
TQFT!

@OP: So why do you also leave your house and car keys lying around on stage?

What? You don't? Oh, of course you don't. Because it's too complicated, full of common sense and non-impractical to start Reason onstage with the IK in and then, you know, take it out and put it safely away with your house and car keys. No, no, it's far more important and professional for you to start yet another ill-thought-out, pointless, dongle bitch-whine thread.

People who start these kinds of threads, especially those who have to begin with "I'm a professional", I'm now more convinced than ever don't actually use Reason live at all.

So the rest of us kindly suggest to you not to punish the non-professionals who use Props products live every week.
Old 2012-11-15, 13:14

One thing I will say is when using a line 6 interface more dialog boxes come up than desirble. They also fixed that download license dialog box which was equally as frustrating.

I cant really blame or shout at the props for this but starting up reason , going from click and go to click , choose, wait ,read, close, read, close was kinda tedious.
Old 2012-11-13, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTOY View Post
Don´t try to make it a Pro Tools for low budget.. It doesn´t suit it..
Haha, that made me laugh.
There was an issue in computer music a while a go where an accomplished mix engineer mixed and mastered the same song twice, once using reason and once using pro tools. His verdict was that pro tools edged it by the tiniest bit and he was very impressed with reason. This was way before we had the softube range and ozone. Reason's not trying to be pro tools though and reason is great value, not low budget. Low budget is relative depending on each persons own valuation and financial circumstances.
Pirating is low budget
Old 2012-11-13, 15:34

They have fixed the issue of continuous request of downloading licenses unnecessarily in 6.5.2
http://www.propellerheads.se/downloa...son_65_fixlist
Old 2012-11-14, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankay View Post
They have fixed the issue of continuous request of downloading licenses unnecessarily in 6.5.2
http://www.propellerheads.se/downloa...son_65_fixlist
Ironically enough, it asked me to download licenses to my key today at lunch (i'm on 6.5.2). First time it's ever decided to do that...

Good thing I can use my cell phone as a wifi router, otherwise I'd have been f'ed in the a and bored for an hour
Old 2012-11-14, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryoShift View Post
Ironically enough, it asked me to download licenses to my key today at lunch (i'm on 6.5.2). First time it's ever decided to do that...

Good thing I can use my cell phone as a wifi router, otherwise I'd have been f'ed in the a and bored for an hour
If I understand the situation correctly, you can just 'pass' on the download and run with what you have with no negative consequences. I've done it plenty of times when I didn't have time for the DL. :-)
USA
Old 2012-11-15, 07:56

Lightbulb Dealing with faulty gear live

Ok. So I understand the OP's concern. Getting up on stage to perform when you know your equipment could stop working without warning, can cause great anxiety. Add that to the anxiety some folks have of using a laptop for live... and the general anxiety performers have (especially new performers).

Nobody's here's getting "punished"
Propellerheads are just protecting their revenue stream. They'd been quite lax for a long time. But after investing 6-7 years developing and expanding what we see on our screens now, how could they possibly afford to continue as such?
If you're a new user, you'll be very glad to find out they will take very good care of you should anything go wrong.

Now. On to the issue at hand... Consider this:

Be prepared with a backup plan. Tube amps blow up from time to time, and as frustrating as it is, you just have to deal with it. I know many players who have a junker amp buried in their trunk for such emergencies. Wireless systems can run out of batteries, strings break, cables short out. How many professionals don't keep spares in their cases? Using a laptop and software commands just as much preparedness as any other instrument.

I used to keep a Yamaha CS6r rack in my live rig with a close(ish) copy of all the sounds that came from software. Then, we had an MP3 player with backing track versions of loops & FX. Click on the left for the drummer, and tracks on the right. If there was a disaster... two button pushes away there was a safety net.

Solutions for you:

If you're going to be doing this often, why not consider buying a second copy. Wouldn't a $399 investment in securing your earning potential be worth it? I'm not sure at what professional capacity you're playing at, but even at modest earnings from gigs, you could cover your investment in a few nights of playing out. Yes it adds to the cost of being a musician... but as mentioned above, you too will need to "protect your revenue stream."

Or. Buy a copy of Reason Essentials for $99. Do a basic resampling of your instruments so you can play them from the NNXT. In the event of emergency, you can use a very close approximation of your original sounds... Does your live sound have to be exactly the same as your studio sound?

Virtual Machine. You could launch Reason in a virtual machine (a la VMWare or Parallels), activate Reason via the online meathod, and freeze the state of that virtual machine. Therefore, in the event of disaster, you can instantiate that virtual machine with Reason already loaded and authorized. Not optimal, but it can get you through the gig.

Tether your laptop to your phone, and download the licenses. So what if you have to spend $5 on data roaming? Sometimes you just have to spend money to make money. Sometimes the cab ride is $10, sometimes traffic makes it cost $15. Suck it up.

So bascially, just be prepared... Roll with the punches. Suck it up if something goes wrong.
Worst case scenario, you have to cancel a gig. (It's not like getting sick, poor weather, a double booking, getting in an accident, travel arrangements failure, or the club having an equipment failure can't cancel a gig for you!)