Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-13, 20:42

CPU usage and reason is "hanging"

Just installed 6.5.2 and now i have some mad issues with the browser. Reason is hanging for a LOOONG time everytime I use the browser, and is generally very slow when browsing in it. Other than me that have experienced that?
Old 2012-11-14, 18:29

Do you have a lot of samples in the folders you're searching?
Old 2012-11-14, 18:47

I'm assuming this goes for tracks created pre-6.5.2 because I found this issue (plus source) the day 6.5.2 was released:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...49#post1174449

I haven't tried it with other RE's but Predator, so I have a little more testing to do before I report it.

A solution would be to copy-paste things in a new clean file, but it would still require some tweaking depending on the complexity of the original song.

Songs created in 6.5.2. don't have any issues here.
Old 2012-11-14, 23:33

Naah. It actually starts out very well in a totally clean rns.. but when i've used the browser some times, it starts to slow down a lot, and often i can sit waiting for reason to react, for 10-15min.. that's too long for my temper/focus on a track :/

And no.. i haven't got folders with insane amounts of files.. I only got some Vengeance Sample CD's where samples are grouped and so on :/
Old 2013-09-12, 23:23

I'm so frustrated with high CPU and reason is slow like hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone1985 View Post
Just installed 6.5.2 and now i have some mad issues with the browser. Reason is hanging for a LOOONG time everytime I use the browser, and is generally very slow when browsing in it. Other than me that have experienced that?
Same here man I'm very disappointed by reason high CPU even when I start the software it says not responding.
Presonus studio one while I'm inserting more than 50 plugins the CPU is about 20 or 15. But here this Re has messed up reason. it is so slow and before I start the instrument and FX with empty DAW the CPU goes 35 and 50 and again 80 I don't know what propellerheads think to do I'm so Frustrated man. Time consuming. Even to browse my own file through reason.
Old 2013-09-14, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bereket View Post
Same here man I'm very disappointed by reason high CPU even when I start the software it says not responding.
Presonus studio one while I'm inserting more than 50 plugins the CPU is about 20 or 15. But here this Re has messed up reason. it is so slow and before I start the instrument and FX with empty DAW the CPU goes 35 and 50 and again 80 I don't know what propellerheads think to do I'm so Frustrated man. Time consuming. Even to browse my own file through reason.
Are you using an older computer? Also, many times, people have multiple applications running on their computer that are using CPU that they aren't aware of. Go through your system, and you might be amazed at everything that is running that you aren't aware of. Shut off everything you don't need at the times you are working on music.

If you are serious about audio, your best bet is to buy the fastest audio computer you can afford and ONLY use it for that. Keep your current computer for regular daily non-audio use. That is what I did, and I have no regrets that I "bit the bullet" and shelled out the money for a blazing fast audio computer. Also, you can always convert tracks with multiple effects into wave files and then re-import them into your song which will give you the tracks with the effects back into your song, without the CPU draw of the effects.

I understand your pain. Sooner or later, everyone using a DAW is going to reach the point where their computer just isn't able to do what they need it to do. Reason is a great program and all the functions, rack extensions, etc. do put a computer to work...but it is worth it for what you get in return.