Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-11-18, 04:48

Scottym's Node Rack Design System Concept

Last night, I felt promted to reply to a thread about what I'd like to see in Reason 7,
I could of just looked for examples on the web of what I was going to suggest,
and infact that's exactly what I did but I didn't find anything which actually resembled what
was in my head effectively enough. And so being the creative guy I am, I decided to just
illustrate a solution within Reason itself.

As the Propellerheads are from my understanding focusing on the core features of Reason,
I thought, well I'll have a shot, 'think outside the box' so to speak, do something different
(like props do), and create something relatively simple to enhance the usability, and workflow
of the program for users. Basically I wanted to also make the wiring up system faster and
more accessible. It can be a nightmare depending on how complex your device setup is to navigate
through reams of wires even with the aids to reduce cable clutter. The node system also makes it
easy to get a better overview of the rack visually and quickly build a rack. One of the other benefits
are for users with laptops with smaller resolutions, meaning less time scrolling up and down the rack
or sequencer.

It's just the first prototype so far, and what you are looking at which should be clear
is the main audio connections atm and doesn't at present include additional control panels,
CV cables are also not illustrated in this screenshot for example.

It takes a while as everything figuring how out to design something like this as it can get complex
and making something complex simple for users can be a challenge.

Click For Half Size As Shown Above

Click For Full Screen 1080P

Last edited by scottym; 2012-11-18 at 22:21.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:51

Please resize the image....would be alot easier to manage in the browser.

Edited- Much better
“Come now, and let us REASON together” Isaiah 1:18

Loading SoundCloud…

Last edited by Upright; 2012-11-18 at 12:34.
Old 2012-11-18, 06:42

I actually really like the idea of having a map of the signal chain in a slide-out toolbar or something similar. I try to be as orderly as possible with my routing(nearly half true), but especially towards the end of the track, I've got cable running between devices up and down the rack. Even for tracks where I don't, I've always thought it'd be awfully handy to be able to take a step back and have a glance at the chain in a more macroscopic view.
Mackie HR824 MKII
Heart unashamed to feel.
Old 2012-11-18, 07:11

Old 2012-11-18, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwgr View Post
Exactly!
Isn't that what actually is on the back side?
Old 2012-11-18, 13:59

This thread is a feature suggestion and should be moved the appropriate location. Putting it in the User Forum does not give it extra legitimacy, or make it more official. The picture itself looks quite nice, and there are some good ideas there. But it only looks neat than a rack because you've created a very basic, linear chain in your Node view and you've manually drawn the connections. That Mixer 14:2 to Antidote line? Never going happen automatically. Such lines only work like the square bend line connectors in PowerPoint, where each part of the line is a separate node that you have to manually adjust. You really want to spend your life doing PowerPoint in Reason? I spent seven years doing PowerPoint for real. Anyone who's used Node based systems will know that eventually you'll have to start "crossing the streams" and it view gets progressively more and more complex and eventually much harder to tell where stuff is going.
Old 2012-11-18, 14:11

Even though its in the wrong forum, i'll bite. I don't like it.
Seems to make a mess, really. I cant imagine what it would look like with a full songs worth of devices.
Besides, Reason kind of already does that, in a simpler and more immediate sense.
Old 2012-11-18, 14:52

I like the idear , what about 3d node ? autocad been here for 30 years and plans in 2d is are bit flat.

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !

Last edited by charlycharlzz; 2012-11-18 at 14:54.
Old 2012-11-18, 16:07
Propellerhead

Moved this
Old 2012-11-19, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlycharlzz View Post
and plans in 2d is are bit flat.
intentional or not that made me lol

Loading SoundCloud…