Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-18, 13:36

New Track! But I'm not convinced with my mix..

http://soundcloud.com/rachel-mcgrath...7-original-mix
I'm still learning, But I did the best with what I can do with it, It took most of the time mixing it down, mixing the Kick rum & Bass...Any tips? Btw, I did all on Headphones (Sennheiser HD 205)
Old 2012-11-18, 14:33

I like it, I would say it does need some cleaning, but nice chords etc
Old 2012-11-18, 14:58

Hey, nice track, I like the "melancholic/open forwardness" of the song if I may put that so

Most of your issues seem to be in the mids / upper mids. But they are also caused due to the frequency spectrum of your instruments/synths. Check the compression and interaction of those instruments, some seem to be over compressed and some a bit under-compressed. Also some instruments stick out very much when they come in and then leave unpleasant holes when they go out again. Maybe sweep them with some steep filters to check for unpleasant resonances and pull them out a bit too.

Towards the end theres some compression stages that heavily pump/flutter, I couldn't exactly say if it was some bus compression going wild or multiple channels. Maybe try reducing the compression or levels of additional instruments to prevent compression over 10dB.

Then to me the general frequency spectrum seems to have a few holes and resonances but nothing severe and it makes no sense trying to get that 100% right on headphones anyway. A mastering engineer should easily be able to even that out.
Old 2012-11-18, 16:01

Thanks man! Will practice frequencies,compression more often!