Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-20, 02:37

A look on pirating - a developers POV

Just read this on KVR.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365466

I am proud to say that all my software is legit, but inever thought how this affected small sound designers.

It is good that the new re format is virtually impossible to hack. Still i believe refill developers are quire afected with this.

Food for brain?
Configure Multiple Behringer BCF2000 on Reason 6:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...992#post903992
Old 2012-11-20, 02:51

Quote:
One pirate site currently lists 13,699 illegal downloads of TAIKO 2. If each person had paid $1.00 for his or her copy from this site, it would amount to more than the library has grossed so far. I disclose this information to illustrate the point that these libraries are investments, and getting them "in the black" takes time, effort and further capital to promote them.

- How heavy the drums were. Getting them on and off the recording stage - sometimes taking two or three people to move just one drum. The thought of that physical act, combined with the knowledge that someone is freely taking TAIKO 2 gets under my skin.

- My partner on TAIKO 2 is having a kid in a few months. The fact that this library has been pirated sucks for him.

- What will the future bring? Despite my passion for doing what I do, is that enough to press on knowing that the products will be pirated?
^--- sick t.t

I remember back in the day when many software companies stopped doing games for the AMIGA computer because nobody bought the games but everybody pirated them.
Old 2012-11-20, 02:58

Actually there's this guy on the thread advisin him to go on and do something different for bread and butter...

So, we're not far from there Even for sound design!
Configure Multiple Behringer BCF2000 on Reason 6:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...992#post903992
Old 2012-11-20, 03:26

Lol relying on sound banks to eat.
Fail
Old 2012-11-20, 03:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSTmusic View Post
Lol relying on sound banks to eat.
Fail
Sorry I wouldn't want to make large productions with the average quality of inexpensive ReFills..
Old 2012-11-20, 03:54

Nothing is virtually impossible to hack, in fact I think it's impossible for anything to be virtually impossible. There will always be coders out there looking to improve systems and there's always going to be coders out there exposing flaws and cracking these systems. If there was not then nothing would be secure and we would see no changes or improvements in the world of software.
Old 2012-11-20, 19:18

well, a few years ago, arround summertime, i have count all the views of two of our packs on diffrent warez sites. Ok not every view is a download, but all together the result was almost 800.000 potencial illegal downloads, i have stop to count ! So i have immediatly send abuse reports to the sharehoster, but a few days after the links were removed, new ones appearing. And it was a back and forth for weeks. But all this has not affect the sales, they become even more. And people still come back to us to buy the license for packs they pirated before for what ever reasons.

The biggest problems began with the download rewards of the fileshare hoster.

A new profit orientated group of uploaders came up (the parasit). They work with diffrent accounts and usernames on diffrent warez size. To make you think there are a lot persons providing pirated stuff.

They make good rewards money, enough to have a living from and to buy the newest releases to make more money. And they upload everthing, not just software and soundware !

And yeah most company's weekly releases makes it easy for them. They buy up to 20 or even more packs on diffrent distributers weekly. They know everyone wants the newest stuff.

But you can be sure, some filehosters already stop their reward program, and when all others do, this group of uploaders will dissapear completly. These people are psychopaths, they know it's wrong what they do, but they have no empathy, so as long as they get what they want they don't care about anything.
Downloaders, doesen't matter what kind off, are forced to support these parasits in form off payed pro accounts and regular downloads.

The most downloaders generally don't upload again what they pirated, expect those people who just looking for some community fame !

The real robin hoods are sharing in a peer to peer system and will stay, but you won't get the newest stuff two day's after release anymore and then you have to wait weeks or even months until someone has mercy !

Downloaders do damage only when they could "easily" afford what they pirated, liking & using it and never will be willing to pay for !

Those who downloading because they just can't afford now, these are all potencial costumers !

But some will never, cause they live in a country they happy enough they get a outranged computer working and have at least internet access in exceptional circumstances.

But i think to get more of the customers which are willing to pay ,but hesitate, every sound company should offer a refund warranty.
I mean everyone of us have make bad experiences with buying soundstuff and have to live with, because they are not refundable.

A nice democlip and a few demo samples is not enough to get sure this is the source i need.

And people who want's to check the product before, can use the warranty instead a illegal download link !
And those who wants to abuse this offer will maybe think twice, and accept the payment because the pack is really good. And when not then he has pirated it from you and not from a parasit and can enjoy his shabby victory.

Times have change, so we need to think about another solutions, just fighting against piracy won't help. Those who want it strictly for free will find a way anyway anytime !

Last edited by BHKSamples; 2012-11-20 at 22:27.
Old 2012-11-21, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHKSamples View Post
well, a few years ago, arround summertime, i have count all the views of two of our packs on diffrent warez sites. Ok not every view is a download, but all together the result was almost 800.000 potencial illegal downloads, i have stop to count ! So i have immediatly send abuse reports to the sharehoster, but a few days after the links were removed, new ones appearing. And it was a back and forth for weeks. But all this has not affect the sales, they become even more. And people still come back to us to buy the license for packs they pirated before for what ever reasons.

The biggest problems began with the download rewards of the fileshare hoster.

A new profit orientated group of uploaders came up (the parasit). They work with diffrent accounts and usernames on diffrent warez size. To make you think there are a lot persons providing pirated stuff.

They make good rewards money, enough to have a living from and to buy the newest releases to make more money. And they upload everthing, not just software and soundware !

And yeah most company's weekly releases makes it easy for them. They buy up to 20 or even more packs on diffrent distributers weekly. They know everyone wants the newest stuff.

But you can be sure, some filehosters already stop their reward program, and when all others do, this group of uploaders will dissapear completly. These people are psychopaths, they know it's wrong what they do, but they have no empathy, so as long as they get what they want they don't care about anything.
Downloaders, doesen't matter what kind off, are forced to support these parasits in form off payed pro accounts and regular downloads.

The most downloaders generally don't upload again what they pirated, expect those people who just looking for some community fame !

The real robin hoods are sharing in a peer to peer system and will stay, but you won't get the newest stuff two day's after release anymore and then you have to wait weeks or even months until someone has mercy !

Downloaders do damage only when they could "easily" afford what they pirated, liking & using it and never will be willing to pay for !

Those who downloading because they just can't afford now, these are all potencial costumers !

But some will never, cause they live in a country they happy enough they get a outranged computer working and have at least internet access in exceptional circumstances.

But i think to get more of the customers which are willing to pay ,but hesitate, every sound company should offer a refund warranty.
I mean everyone of us have make bad experiences with buying soundstuff and have to live with, because they are not refundable.

A nice democlip and a few demo samples is not enough to get sure this is the source i need.

And people who want's to check the product before, can use the warranty instead a illegal download link !
And those who wants to abuse this offer will maybe think twice, and accept the payment because the pack is really good. And when not then he has pirated it from you and not from a parasit and can enjoy his shabby victory.

Times have change, so we need to think about another solutions, just fighting against piracy won't help. Those who want it strictly for free will find a way anyway anytime !
I don't want to become overly political because this is a music forum after all, but the Internet makes it really hard to get rid of piracy at all.
I believe it is time for a system change in the big way. Get rid of our banking system alltogether, for abundance can not be errected on debts. If you try and do that you will only be able to create wealth at the expense of others.
The USA is considered a rich country, but they errected their 'wealth' at the expense of slaves. Actual persons have been exploited big way. And still this is happening all the time.
A society that bases their 'wealth' on lack must depend on lies, in order to sell the lack as wealth (it's called marketing). If your society depends on lies, how can you make honest business? If you can't make honest business, how can you stop pirates?
I do not think piracy is justifiable in many cases, but I also do not think the way capitalism is being practiced is that different from piracy.
Of course it is really sad for the guys at nine volt audio, same as anyone else who's stuff is pirated, but after all, those suffering from piracy as well as those practicing it, are victims of capitalism after all.
Wanna get rid of piracy?
Get rid of Banks, debts and capitalism!

Sorry for the rant, but I feel empathy will go all the way, if it can.
Old 2012-11-21, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMOMs View Post
I don't want to become overly political because this is a music forum after all, but the Internet makes it really hard to get rid of piracy at all.
I believe it is time for a system change in the big way. Get rid of our banking system alltogether, for abundance can not be errected on debts. If you try and do that you will only be able to create wealth at the expense of others.
The USA is considered a rich country, but they errected their 'wealth' at the expense of slaves. Actual persons have been exploited big way. And still this is happening all the time.
A society that bases their 'wealth' on lack must depend on lies, in order to sell the lack as wealth (it's called marketing). If your society depends on lies, how can you make honest business? If you can't make honest business, how can you stop pirates?
I do not think piracy is justifiable in many cases, but I also do not think the way capitalism is being practiced is that different from piracy.
Of course it is really sad for the guys at nine volt audio, same as anyone else who's stuff is pirated, but after all, those suffering from piracy as well as those practicing it, are victims of capitalism after all.
Wanna get rid of piracy?
Get rid of Banks, debts and capitalism!

Sorry for the rant, but I feel empathy will go all the way, if it can.
wow someone whos eyes are opened to the reality of a fascist police state that exists the world over world governement is immenant and you all worry about piracy lol .

--------------LUCEO-NON-URO---------------
Old 2012-11-21, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac0123 View Post
wow someone whos eyes are opened to the reality of a fascist police state that exists the world over world governement is immenant and you all worry about piracy lol .
actually piracy is something I'm not really worried about
Actually about 90% of what I'm doing is stuff I love, so there's nothing really to worry about for me at least.
See: Since this society is no society worth fighting for, I wouldn't consider it worthy to fight against. I simply create my own ^^
I simply prefer a different kind of reality. People share and love in my world. Call me a hippy or something, I don't care, because my life is just great