Propellerhead Software
  #1  
Old 2012-11-21, 06:51
dreason dreason is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
Smile Why FM Synthesizer?

Why FM Synthesizer in Reason7?
Isn't it Thor?
I think Thor is powerful,and itself is also FM synthesizer.
why don't you use it in depth?
So,
Don't ask for anything more in Reason7.
Of course,I believe Propellerheads will bring about surprise.

Last edited by dreason; 2012-11-21 at 06:53.
  #2  
Old 2012-11-21, 09:13
eXode's Avatar
eXode eXode is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreason View Post
Why FM Synthesizer in Reason7?
Isn't it Thor?
I think Thor is powerful,and itself is also FM synthesizer.
why don't you use it in depth?
So,
Don't ask for anything more in Reason7.
Of course,I believe Propellerheads will bring about surprise.
Thor cannot do real 4-OP (like DX100) or 6-OP FM (like DX7) where all 4 or 6 operators interact with each other because Thor only have 3 FM operators in pairs. So it's not the same thing.
  #3  
Old 2012-11-21, 10:35
dreason dreason is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
You are wrong.
Don't forget Modulation bus.
Osc1 can control Osc1 FM.
And you still can use Osc2 control Osc1.
Then little by little.
  #4  
Old 2012-11-21, 13:00
eXode's Avatar
eXode eXode is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreason View Post
You are wrong.
Don't forget Modulation bus.
Osc1 can control Osc1 FM.
And you still can use Osc2 control Osc1.
Then little by little.
No, I'm not wrong, but you are.

Even with the modulation bus, you only have 3 oscillators in Thor and the FM operators are locked in Pair. So if you use OSC1 to modulate OSC2 with FM then BOTH operators of OSC1 will always modulate BOTH operators of OCS2. On DX7 the 6 operators can modulate each other more freely.

Also, on a real FM synthesizer like the DX7, each of 6 operators have their own AMP/VOL envelope, so that means 6 envelopes for AMP. Thor only have 3 envelopes (4 with Global, but that is not polyphonic) where only one is for AMP

To be brutally honest, you need to learn about how real FM synthesis in the DX7 works, before coming in here and telling people they are wrong, because you clearly don't know how it works.
  #5  
Old 2012-11-21, 13:50
dreason dreason is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
ok
I'm wrong.
Do you tell me about DX7 how it works?
  #6  
Old 2012-11-21, 13:53
dreason dreason is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
and how about FM8?
  #7  
Old 2012-11-22, 16:44
Koshdukai's Avatar
Koshdukai Koshdukai is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreason View Post
Do you tell me about DX7 how it works?
Google is your friend.

This is the Feature Suggestions forum.
__________________
Suggestions: Tags; Scope; Itch; IK OnlineAuth; New?; +1; RTFM
  #8  
Old 2012-11-21, 09:41
BonezMcCoy's Avatar
BonezMcCoy BonezMcCoy is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreason View Post
Why FM Synthesizer in Reason7?
Isn't it Thor?
I think Thor is powerful,and itself is also FM synthesizer.
why don't you use it in depth?
So,
Don't ask for anything more in Reason7.
Of course,I believe Propellerheads will bring about surprise.
So your feature suggestion is that Propellerhead remove the Feature Suggestion Forum from their boards, right?
  #9  
Old 2012-11-21, 15:10
ayello's Avatar
ayello ayello is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,297
I think a real FM synth would be a usefull addition in Reason
I miss this kind of sound.


Best
Michel
  #10  
Old 2012-11-21, 16:32
jlgrimes jlgrimes is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayello View Post
I think a real FM synth would be a usefull addition in Reason
I miss this kind of sound.


Best
Michel
I think a GUI Rewrite would be needed.

6 operators, 32 algorithms, 6 advanced envelopes. That would make a busy screen. Thats why most FM synths have multipage interfaces.

RE SDK would need to handle this to get those advanced type digital synths such as FM.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
review:All reason Synthesizer sound high end! wangyuechao Phead User Forum (read only) 6 2007-10-16 05:09
review:All reason Synthesizer sound high end! wangyuechao General Forum (read only) 9 2007-10-15 21:04
Are there any benefits to using a hardware synthesizer? Muzak Phead User Forum (read only) 17 2005-08-14 03:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:57.