Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2012-11-25, 17:15
Pat303's Avatar
Pat303 Pat303 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 277
A fellow Propellerhead needs YOU!

Friends, Romans, Propellerheads…lend me your ears!

I've just submitted a track to a songwriting competition and I'd really appreciate any feedback you'd be kind enough to offer. Here it is:

http://soundcloud.com/skollob/bad-riddance

If you have time, I'd also hugely appreciate you voting for your favourite track in the competition - it might be mine (hint, hint), but to be fair it might be someone else's. You decide! To vote you need to be a member of Basschat, the website hosting the competition. It's very easy to join, the usual few clicks and a confirmation email (and it's genuinely 100% spam free). It's also a damn useful site for tips on mixing and mastering, with a number of very helpful pro engineers in the community.

You can listen to the various entries and cast your vote via the link below. My entry is under the name Skol303:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/192756-n...n-voting-time/

Thank you fellow Prop'headz!
__________________
http://soundcloud.com/skollob/
Twitter @Skol303
  #2  
Old 2012-11-25, 20:00
PsyTale's Avatar
PsyTale PsyTale is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat303 View Post
Friends, Romans, Propellerheads…lend me your ears!

I've just submitted a track to a songwriting competition and I'd really appreciate any feedback you'd be kind enough to offer. Here it is:

http://soundcloud.com/skollob/bad-riddance

If you have time, I'd also hugely appreciate you voting for your favourite track in the competition - it might be mine (hint, hint), but to be fair it might be someone else's. You decide! To vote you need to be a member of Basschat, the website hosting the competition. It's very easy to join, the usual few clicks and a confirmation email (and it's genuinely 100% spam free). It's also a damn useful site for tips on mixing and mastering, with a number of very helpful pro engineers in the community.

You can listen to the various entries and cast your vote via the link below. My entry is under the name Skol303:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/192756-n...n-voting-time/

Thank you fellow Prop'headz!
The vocals arent within the rythm, you keep missing the beats. Listen to proper tracks once, words usually fall on a beat/hat/snare/etc.. The composition isnt my piece of cake persee. Its like you didnt think about that at all, through the whole track. The result is that it seems your singing for another track then the one thats playing (like the 2 dont belong).
  #3  
Old 2012-11-25, 20:09
Pat303's Avatar
Pat303 Pat303 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 277
^ Thanks for the feedback Psy. Interesting comments about the vocal - I hadn't noticed the timing issues myself, I'll check that out and see if/where it needs fixing.

I'm not sure vocals always have to be on beat however. I've just listened to a bunch of favorite tracks by everyone from Led Zep to Hot Chip and they don't seem to follow the rule you mention. But that's not to say that my own vox aren't way out of shape! ;-)

Thanks again for listening. Appreciated.
__________________
http://soundcloud.com/skollob/
Twitter @Skol303
  #4  
Old 2012-11-25, 20:11
PsyTale's Avatar
PsyTale PsyTale is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat303 View Post
^ Thanks for the feedback Psy. Interesting comments about the vocal - I hadn't noticed the timing issues myself, I'll check that out and see if/where it needs fixing.

I'm not sure vocals always have to be on beat however. I've just listened to a bunch of favorite tracks by everyone from Led Zep to Hot Chip and they don't seem to follow the rule you mention. But that's not to say that my own vox aren't way out of shape! ;-)

Thanks again for listening. Appreciated.
Maybe my explaination isnt the best, but something is odd about the track and i dunno what. Sorry. I was thinking maybe its timing, but maybe its something else. It doesnt feel coherent to me.
  #5  
Old 2012-11-27, 16:00
rVOLT's Avatar
rVOLT rVOLT is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat303 View Post
^I hadn't noticed the timing issues myself,

lol, most people with bad timing don't realize it. =)
__________________
http://www.soundcloud.com/rvolt
  #6  
Old 2012-11-27, 18:10
Pat303's Avatar
Pat303 Pat303 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvolt View Post
lol, most people with bad timing don't realize it. =)
Point taken! ;-)
__________________
http://soundcloud.com/skollob/
Twitter @Skol303
  #7  
Old 2012-11-25, 20:24
Pat303's Avatar
Pat303 Pat303 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 277
No problem! It could be that it's all played in live - the bass, drums, guitars, piano, etc, are all played to a click rather than being quantized - I know there are definitely some timing issues in places but I left them in to give it more 'human' feel. Perhaps I should have quantized some of the instrumentation to improve the groove... ? Anyway thanks again for the honest feedback. Very useful.
__________________
http://soundcloud.com/skollob/
Twitter @Skol303
  #8  
Old 2012-11-25, 20:32
koma7's Avatar
koma7 koma7 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,212
It's good, however i'm not really feeling it, it's not because of the style or how you've recorded it, it's a good clean mix, but I feel it's missing quite a bit of dynamics, especially because there's not too much going on in the track, I recommend you work on them a bit more to make them stand out more and get the mix pumping, otherwise it just sounds a little too flat and raw at the moment for me. Otherwise good job and good luck.
__________________
██ Electro-acousmatic organiser of sound. # |[ Eigengrau ]|
██ Post-industrial destroyer of form. # |[ Yin Yang Vikings ]|
██ Other Links # |[ Blog ]| # |[ Facebook ]| #
  #9  
Old 2012-11-26, 00:32
DIGITUS's Avatar
DIGITUS DIGITUS is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,519
I think the syllabic phrasing is a little awkward and that gives the impression of mis-timing issues. I also thought the vocal is somewhat dry and a little flat or off key in places. However, the dead pan vocal delivery does fit the mood of the track well. I didn't like the theremin like noise that comes in around 1:33. I found it irritating or grating but that could just be a personal preference issue. I hope my feedback doesn't come across as rude or mean. I'm just trying to offer constructive feedback as a first time objective listener. Overall it's a pretty good track and it's about 80% of the way there!
__________________
The artist who aims for perfection in everything achieves it in nothing -Eugene Delacroix


Music

Artwork

  #10  
Old 2012-11-26, 11:51
Pat303's Avatar
Pat303 Pat303 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by koma7 View Post
It's good, however i'm not really feeling it, it's not because of the style or how you've recorded it, it's a good clean mix, but I feel it's missing quite a bit of dynamics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITUS View Post
I think the syllabic phrasing is a little awkward and that gives the impression of mis-timing issues. I also thought the vocal is somewhat dry and a little flat or off key in places....I hope my feedback doesn't come across as rude or mean. I'm just trying to offer constructive feedback as a first time objective listener.
^^ Thanks guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and give feedback! These are exactly the kind of comments I need to help improve, which is great :-)

Re. dynamics, I was kinda worried that I'd overload the mix if I added any more instrumentation, but good to know there's room for some extras. I'll have a think about that and see what I could add in. Might also play with some compression settings during the louder sections to give them more 'oomph' in comparison to the quieter ones.

Re. vocals... yeah, I'm definitely no singer! ;-) This is only the third song I've ever recorded myself singing on, so I have a long way to go before my pitch and timing are accurate. The vocal recording was full of sibilance and plosives too, which I found really difficult to fix. But hey, it's all good practice!

Thanks again for your advice.
__________________
http://soundcloud.com/skollob/
Twitter @Skol303
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Propellerhead Record and Reason Duo Software Bundle, Mac and Windows Ignition Key jbrownjsb Phead User Forum (read only) 5 2011-05-25 23:23
Propellerhead Master Classes at Remix Hotel Miami tyweed General Forum (read only) 0 2009-02-23 01:25
Why propellerhead didn't sell to brazilians? RenatoVeras General Forum (read only) 2 2002-07-25 16:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:05.