Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-27, 00:37

Reason drums vs Superior Drummer

Hi everyone

I've been looking into buying Superior Drummer (currently using ReDrum), but also looking to move from Reason 4 to 6.5. How do the acoustic drum sounds available in the latest Reason hold up against those from Superior Drummer? Any experience or opinions welcome.

Thanks for your input.

T
Old 2012-11-27, 00:46

You're better off making a comparison of superior drummer and the various drum refills... ie... reason drum kits 2.0, Alt Drums (there are 3 of these i think), Jason Mcgerr sessions, BFD core refill. The redrum isn't meant to be on par with superior drummer in terms of realistic sounding drums but the above mentioned refills are more comparable as they have they are multi-sampled. Redrum can only load one shots.
Old 2012-11-27, 01:04

If you’re not sure at the moment what to do, read this previous 64 posts thread and then you’ll be totally lost: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=144742 . My vote goes to the Ryan Greene Pack 1/Pork Pie ReFill.
Old 2012-11-27, 07:51

The question you should answer is:
Should it be used inside or outside of Reason?
Old 2012-11-27, 11:13

The main key to realistic drum sounds is the Alternative notes feature (don’t know if Alternative is the right word though) , when you hit the same key even with the same velocity a similar (but not the same) sounding sample will be triggered thus a more natural feeling is produced. Its like when you normally play drums, each hit is little bit different no matter how accurate you try to hit the drum.

Redrum does not have the Alt feature, so even if it can be loaded with natural drum samples the feeling will be static and mechanic especially if a sample is repeated in situations like a drumroll.

A friend of mine owns Reason Drum Kits 2 and I really like the room they recorded these kits, I also like that is inside Reason making your life easier, but unfortunately there not as many Alternates as it should be, hi hats sound static etc. , it also has few drum chooses,

So the more the Alts & velocities the more realistic feel

Toontrack’s superior drummer is the market’s standard and is way better than Reason’s, But I never had the chance to play with Alt Drums. They do not offer a demo, but only a video of how its created with no technical details….

That’s very negative in my opinion.
Old 2012-11-27, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitrisG View Post
The main key to realistic drum sounds is the Alternative notes feature (don’t know if Alternative is the right word though) , when you hit the same key even with the same velocity a similar (but not the same) sounding sample will be triggered thus a more natural feeling is produced. Its like when you normally play drums, each hit is little bit different no matter how accurate you try to hit the drum.

Redrum does not have the Alt feature, so even if it can be loaded with natural drum samples the feeling will be static and mechanic especially if a sample is repeated in situations like a drumroll.

A friend of mine owns Reason Drum Kits 2 and I really like the room they recorded these kits, I also like that is inside Reason making your life easier, but unfortunately there not as many Alternates as it should be, hi hats sound static etc. , it also has few drum chooses,

So the more the Alts & velocities the more realistic feel

Toontrack’s superior drummer is the market’s standard and is way better than Reason’s, But I never had the chance to play with Alt Drums. They do not offer a demo, but only a video of how its created with no technical details….

That’s very negative in my opinion.
That's round robin type samples what you're talking about.
Old 2012-11-27, 14:33
jwh1

I have Superior Drummer with a few expansion kits and use it in Sonar X2, I have'nt got round to buying Reason yet, but yes it's a great piece of software, but I thought it was VST ? Therefore you can't use it in Reason ?
Old 2012-11-27, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1 View Post
I have Superior Drummer with a few expansion kits and use it in Sonar X2, I have'nt got round to buying Reason yet, but yes it's a great piece of software, but I thought it was VST ? Therefore you can't use it in Reason ?

Correct, that's why I ask the question...
Old 2012-11-27, 18:24

As far as sounds go, Reason's acoustic drum refills can hang with the best of them.. The problem is that Superior drummer has thousands of genre specific midi files to go along with it. It also has many add ons and drum specific features. If you look @ my song below, I used Toontrack's EZDrummer (a dumbed down version of Superior) and played the midi via my Roland V6 electric set..
Old 2012-11-27, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyslave View Post
Hi everyone

I've been looking into buying Superior Drummer (currently using ReDrum), but also looking to move from Reason 4 to 6.5. How do the acoustic drum sounds available in the latest Reason hold up against those from Superior Drummer? Any experience or opinions welcome.

Thanks for your input.

T
Reason's built-in drum kits caters more to Synthy/DrumMachine type of sounds. There is a decent selection of Acoustic kits but I doubt them to be comparable to Superior Drummer.

They have tons of refills though that caters to realistic drums (Reason Drum Kits 2, Soul School, Jason McGerr, Ryan Alt Drums etc).

All of the ones I have heard sound very realistic btw. The only issue you might have is how to program them. I play my drums in using a keyboard method when I want the live feel using no quantize or a low strength setting to get a live feel. You can also use's Reason's Groove Quantize to get a live feel as well which also works pretty well.

I think the Superior Drummer has special step sequencers that caters to this, but this could be done in Reason although Reasons workflow might not be as elegant, you would have to use Redrums and then convert them to midi and then use the Groove Mixer. (I usually just play stuff in to give it my unique feel more with mistakes and all).