Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-12-03, 01:29

Question Copyright material (remix contests)

Hey, I'v got a question. I recently took part in a remix contest, unfortunately I didn't win. The song contained vocals and midi tracks that could be downloaded by the participants. Now I wonder if it is legal to make money on the remix by publishing it on cd's, spotify etc.
Is the material copyrighted? The original song is on spotify and that usually mean that it is copyrighted but if you think of it, the stems were bounced from a different source than the song file that is on spotify.
What do you guys know of this?
Old 2012-12-03, 01:34

Yeah, I've been involved in a few remix competitions is the past, and won none of them. I was really pleased with my work so had a look into the copyright issues. Unfortunately, all the rights belong to the artist and producer of the original recordings, so the work pretty much has to go in the bin!
Old 2012-12-03, 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRES View Post
The song contained vocals and midi tracks that could be downloaded by the participants. Now I wonder if it is legal to make money on the remix by publishing it on cd's, spotify etc.
Is the material copyrighted?
Yes, this material is copyrighted, unless otherwise specified.

Any part of the remix that you made yourself, that is unique to you and does not come from the remix source material, could be conceivably used elsewhere. So if you replaced the original song's drum track with your own funky beat, you could take your own funky beat and use it in your own original song. But none of the sound files or sequencer patterns that you downloaded from the original song's owners could be used by you without permission.

Old 2012-12-04, 04:56

Quote:
Hey, I'v got a question. I recently took part in a remix contest, unfortunately I didn't win. The song contained vocals and midi tracks that could be downloaded by the participants. Now I wonder if it is legal to make money on the remix by publishing it on cd's, spotify etc.
Is the material copyrighted? The original song is on spotify and that usually mean that it is copyrighted but if you think of it, the stems were bounced from a different source than the song file that is on spotify.
What do you guys know of this?
The voice is probably out. The song....couldn't you just change the arrangement a bit... add some other vox that you can use... or make it an instrumental. I hear arrangements all the time, that are only slight variations from the "original" songs that I feel they were unconsciously or consciously taken from....
Old 2012-12-04, 15:49

Well I asked the producer and he said absolutely not. It was prohibited!
Old 2012-12-04, 21:17

Quote:
Well I asked the producer and he said absolutely not. It was prohibited!
well... probably something they worked out when you agreed to the terms of the contest